• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Lamp Bordesley

G

Ghostreader

The Lamp, Bordesley

Hi, I'm new around here. Does anyone have any pictures of this old pub - I borrowed a book from the library with pictures of Birmingham Pubs in but the Lamp wasn't in there. Also, can anyone tell me any more about it; I know it used to be used as a lock-up for Aston parish prisoners and enjoyed the alternative name of 'Brownell's hole' at one time for that reason, but I'd like to know a little more is possible. Anyone?

If my memory serves me correct was the Lamp built among the factories in one of the streets of Bordesley St if it is their might still be the old faded pub writing on the walls were it was

Hi Cromie,and Ghost Reader
The Lamp Pub Is Owned By Mrs Pat Owens And Her Husband
Since Around The Sixties Or The Seventies ,
And In Fact It Is In Highgate
Charles Henry Street To Be Precise , As You Say Crom; It Is Amongst The Factory,s With It ,s Faded Writing On Still ,with Dim Lighting
If You Go To The Bottom Of Alcester Street ,continue On To Mcdonald Street,and Just Before You It Pershore Rd You Turn Right
And Emediately With In Afew Yars You Are At The Lamp Doors
The Owen,s Also Own The Old Crown In Digbeth
Also There Is A Pub Along New Cannal Street At The Botton End
Oppersite The Science Centre Which She Also Owns
They Own Quite Afew Pubs And Social Clubs Around B,ham
And Pat Lets Them Off To Rent
They Have Also Got Pubs Outside B,ham ,
We Have Ran A Pub For Them Many , Many Years Ago ,when My Dutchess, And My Self Was In Our Early Youth. Outside Brum ,
The Main Contenders Now Out Of The Irish Brigade Are
Pat Owens , Liam Occonor Paddy Finn And The Mcviagh,s
On The Stratford Road ,
The Doyles Used To Have The Coach And Hores
On Bordesley Green Rd ,also The Emily Arms In Emily St
Around From Pats , Brigett Doyle Bought Acouple Of Pubs In Stourbrige , I Believe That The Doyles Did Buy The Hen And Chicks
Across From The Tubes In Rocky Lane Aston ,
Then Sold It To One Of The Courtneys ,
I Believe It Is Called Somthink Else Now
Have A Nice Day Everybody Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;;;

THE LAMP, 133 & 134 HIGH ST, BORDESLEY, PUB CLOSED ON 31st JULY 1974 AND NOW DEMOLISHED.

Attachments

• Bordesley Lamp High Street .jpg
    Bordesley Lamp High Street .jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Jim, I must have been in everyone of those pubs on the pub crawl into town and there was a good few
(after a bit the names get jumbled up )
Astonian I thought that pub was the Lamplighter,the River Rea was at the back of the pub (bottom of the hill from Rowton House) I used it till about 5 years ago and had some fun times in their after hours when the doors was locked with the good old irish music ...just up the road was the Bags of nails (The Cartenters Arms)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic from the 60's

Attachments

• Bordesley Lamp Bordesley High St.jpg
    Bordesley Lamp Bordesley High St.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 13
And if ya can't figure out were it was here is a better (same) pic

Attachments

• Bordesley High St Flyover.jpg
    Bordesley High St Flyover.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 17
Not far from the Dolls Club. ;)

I used the Horse & Coaches when Dick Rafferty was gaffer and also The Marquis of Lorne , Cattell Rd, when Jonjo O'Neill was gaffer.

Cromwell, Astonian and Postied,

Thanks for this, pity it was demolished but then, being Birmingham, that had the air of inevitability about it.

Ghostreader, What you say about the Lamp Pub (or on the site of) might be true ..............
The Goal for the parish of Aston in 1770's was called The Dungeon at High St Bordesley The court was 25ft sq and on one side of the court were two rooms 8ft by 6ft each on the other side were stables. and a couple of rooms above in the winter of 1775 their were over 150 people confined there in 1788 it was still situated in High St Bordesley..once inside their were two rooms you went down 10 steps to two damp dungeons
The Gaoler was not paid as he kept an Ale House

Carpenters Arms Adelaide St.

Attachments

• Highgate Lower Darwin Street - Adelaide St Carpenters Arms.jpg
    Highgate Lower Darwin Street - Adelaide St Carpenters Arms.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
HI,EVERY-ONE [CARPENTER,S ARM,S] CAN ANYBODY HELP, I,M LOOKING FOR ROGER, McGAULEY WHO WAS RUNNING THE PUB IN,70,S,EARLY 80,S. HIS PARENT,S HAD THERE SHOP,S IN GOOCH ST & VAUGHTON ST, PLEASE HELP HE HAS HISTORY OF ST,MARTIN,S FLAT,S ON CINE REEL,S,MANY THANK,S CHRISTY,,p,s ANYONE REMEMBER THE NAG,S HEAD, MY GRANDPARENT,S RUN THE LAMP-TAVERN IN HIGHGATE IN THE 60,S,, FAREWELL,

attached is a cutting concerning the Lamp , and a small (poor) picture of its clock from a cutting from the birmingham Post in February 1973

lamp_clock_BP_72C22C73.jpg

one more photos of the Lamp Tavern. Again, please accept my appologies if you are the original poster - I make no claim for finding this photos.
Bordesley Lamp Tavern Dennis 2.jpg
Lyn I think that no 94 would be on the same side as the Lamp, but a bit closer to town.

Re: The Lamp, Bordesley

Here is one of the Lamp that I don't think I have posted before.

Attachments

• Bordesley Lamp High Street .jpg
    Bordesley Lamp High Street .jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 38
oh well done shirl..do you know i did not realise the lamp was so close to camp hill flyover..

cheers

Thank you very much for the photo, Phil. It hints at some interesting detail. Lyn, the sight of the flyover from the Lamp must have been quite an eyesore.

thanks from me too phil...yes shirl not really a night sight was it...i would like to think that my froggatt ancestors drank in this pub...

Last edited:
If anyone has a panorama shot of this area looking towards town that would also be great. I have looked at my Bordesley photos but most seem to be close up shots rather than panoramas.

Re: The Lamp, Bordesley

Hi Bordesley Exile

These are two of the best photos I have looking along the High Street toward town that encompass the Lamp public house. One before the flyover and one after it was built.

Attachments

• Bordesley High St Flyover.jpg
    Bordesley High St Flyover.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Bordesley Coventry Rd Bordesley High St Junction.JPG
    Bordesley Coventry Rd Bordesley High St Junction.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 46
Hi Cromie,and Ghost Reader
The Lamp Pub Is Owned By Mrs Pat Owens And Her Husband
Since Around The Sixties Or The Seventies ,
And In Fact It Is In Highgate
Charles Henry Street To Be Precise , As You Say Crom; It Is Amongst The Factory,s With It ,s Faded Writing On Still ,with Dim Lighting
If You Go To The Bottom Of Alcester Street ,continue On To Mcdonald Street,and Just Before You It Pershore Rd You Turn Right
And Emediately With In Afew Yars You Are At The Lamp Doors
The Owen,s Also Own The Old Crown In Digbeth
Also There Is A Pub Along New Cannal Street At The Botton End
Oppersite The Science Centre Which She Also Owns
They Own Quite Afew Pubs And Social Clubs Around B,ham
And Pat Lets Them Off To Rent
They Have Also Got Pubs Outside B,ham ,
We Have Ran A Pub For Them Many , Many Years Ago ,when My Dutchess, And My Self Was In Our Early Youth. Outside Brum ,
The Main Contenders Now Out Of The Irish Brigade Are
Pat Owens , Liam Occonor Paddy Finn And The Mcviagh,s
On The Stratford Road ,
The Doyles Used To Have The Coach And Hores
On Bordesley Green Rd ,also The Emily Arms In Emily St
Around From Pats , Brigett Doyle Bought Acouple Of Pubs In Stourbrige , I Believe That The Doyles Did Buy The Hen And Chicks
Across From The Tubes In Rocky Lane Aston ,
Then Sold It To One Of The Courtneys ,
I Believe It Is Called Somthink Else Now
Have A Nice Day Everybody Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;;;

The Owens was my neighbour in Hodge Hill,I did quite a lot of work for him refurbishing some of his property including a couple of his pubs.one was the Jewellers Arms in Hockley and the other was The Waterloo in Wills St Lozells..it is a small world.
I was told a few months ago that his wife Mary had passed away.

great photo two....i suspect that the lady and man outside are the landlords...if someone could have a look in the directories for 1908 we will have their names

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
The 1908 Kellys lists the landlord as Henry Butler. this would probably refer to 1907, but the 1910 Kellys also lists the same landlord, so we can be pretty sure he was there in 1908

Back