• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Lad In The Lane The Green Man

RogFromBrum

knowlegable brummie
Hello,

I'm trying to trace a pub mentioned in the will of a Margaret Butler in 1813. She refers to the Green Man, Wood End, Erdington.

I know of the Old Green Man (now the Lad in the Lane), Bromford Lane, Erdington but I'm trying to find out if Margaret's pub is the same one or whether there were two pubs with similar names in the same area.

Was Wood End an area in those days? Nowadays, there's a Wood End Road and Wood End Lane, but the will just says Wood End.

Also, did the Old Green Man have the "Old" prefix in the early 19th century or was that added later?

I would be grateful for any advice that can be offered!

Thanks, Roger

1800+ Green Man

Hello & Welcome Rog From Brum, now in Herts (gone posh eh! ;) )

Ok me ol mucka,, The Green Man was the only one Erdington
(Part of/ Juxta-Aston boundary) in those early 1800,s
Wood End Lane runs right through to Tyburn Road junction which
is about 800 yards from where (Lad-inLane/present pub still is).

Noticed your reference Margaret Butler 1813,, there are other "Butler"
Aston/Nechells/Erdington/B,ham researchers on this site, self included
so would you like to post some info on the Surnames section,,
Maybe find a Rellie ? :rolleyes:
Cheers & best regards , John Y

Hi All

I'm researching and trying to gather as much infomation about the green man pub know as the lad in the lamp, what I'm after is as much infomation as possible all the deeper history a list of past land lords ie staff members from way back. and if there was any children linked to the building, just anything that will get me started, as I live in cheshire and I'm finding it a little hard in trying to get infomation.
Also does anyone know or has heard of the pub suppose to be haunted??? does anyone know what was on the land before the pub was built.

Many Tthanks

now better known as the lad in the lane...as a few of our members will know...:D

Attachments

• Erdington The Green Man.jpg
    Erdington The Green Man.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 7
A 1915 image of the Lad in The Lane or The Green Man, whichever.

Attachments

• The Lad in the Lane.jpg
    The Lad in the Lane.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 69
it looked bigger then to me eric..although i know alterations have been made over the years

#4 is certainly Lad in the Lane as attached painting (plus umpteen visits) will confirm. EricView attachment 110509

Thanks, I can see now that it is the side view, the other side from the painting and at right angles to the road.

Looking through the Old Green Man thread it looks like only the second view from that side. The only other I can see is post 83 by Viviane.

Last edited:
The Lad in the Lane at Erdington has a long history. During the early 19th Century the Hailstone Family, who were publicans and retail brewers had the public house. Aston brewer Rushtons had the public house later as can be seen on the following image-
LadLane.jpg

According to the Birmingham Journal in May 1856, the Green Man (later Lad in the Lane) had a bowling green and was looking for members to form a team. The pub was set in a ‘picturesque landscape’. Viv.

C2A11FC3-5BC5-4DC3-BF16-7AD464CB0642.jpeg

The Lad in the Lane at Erdington has a long history. During the early 19th Century the Hailstone Family, who were publicans and retail brewers had the public house. Aston brewer Rushtons had the public house later as can be seen on the following image-
View attachment 129993
This is my local and I have many photos of it but I don't think I've seen this one before, it's so clear. Thank you Heartland.

Anybody know Why the ‘Lad in the lane ‘ was called the ‘green man ‘ my Uncle Fred from Round road Erdington used that pub for many years ,For many years I thought he walked with a limp because he was drunk until I stayed with my aunt Bet and uncle Fred and saw his spare leg( complete with Sock) hanging on the inside of the spare bedroom door .oh what a lovely couple they were , Happy days

Possibly this Jeannie ?

“The Green Man is another name which is steeped in English folk-lore and is portrayed as a face peering out of, or in some cases made of, foliage. It is likely that he is a relic of pagan times, perhaps representing fertility or some form of nature spirit, but the image was taken up with relish by Christians, being a frequent motif in carvings in churches and abbeys. The survival of the Green Man probably reflects the decision on the part of the early Christians to adapt local customs rather than extirpate them completely” (from window through time site)

Viv

Possibly this Jeannie ?

“The Green Man is another name which is steeped in English folk-lore and is portrayed as a face peering out of, or in some cases made of, foliage. It is likely that he is a relic of pagan times, perhaps representing fertility or some form of nature spirit, but the image was taken up with relish by Christians, being a frequent motif in carvings in churches and abbeys. The survival of the Green Man probably reflects the decision on the part of the early Christians to adapt local customs rather than extirpate them completely” (from window through time site)

Viv
Thank you Viv ,amazing how some buildings have stayed for years and others gone

Heartland, your post #10 mentions the Hailstone family. I have a note which says that the publican of the Erdington Arms in the 1830's was a Hailstone. Perhaps it was a leg-up for the same one or maybe the family were all in the same trade. Unusual name though.

This one nearly disappeared (to be replaced by a new building nearby) in 1939 Jeannie. A little bit of interesting history about it. The name Lad in the Lane wasn’t it’s ‘official’ name, at least up until 1939. It seems to have been variously known as The Green Man, the Old Green Man and Ye Olde Green Man through time. Viv.

5870057B-A3B6-428E-9B63-2B31EB2C2C2C.jpeg

How did they manage to save it Viv? I suppose this was in the days before protest meetings etc?

Does this transfer of licence date from when they limited the number of pubs in the early 20thC or did it happen before?
Interesting to see the words 'change-houses', I should think this was to do with horses but happy to be put right!
Thinking of all the wealthy landowners (Erdington Hall, Wood End House etc) living nearby, do you think this pub was used by the estate workers? Sorry, lots of questions but perhaps someone has a few thoughts?

Shall need to do a bit more research Lady P. A change house is described as an inn or ale house, but would think it refers to the availability of fresh horses too. Viv.

Back