• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Lacey,s From Sheldon

Welcome Winpat enjoy:)

It would be in your own interest not to use your e-mail address asyou don't know who could use it for the wrong reasons Winpat will do, now enjoy:)

The Lacey's Sheldon any dates etc to get us started???

Hi

not Sheldon but I do have a grandmother Elsie Carr (nee Lacey) in Small Heath and Bordesley Green East, her mother was Ellen Lacey (nee Martin) who ran a small Greengrocers on Cattell Rd.

Any connection?

Dave

Hi Dave, I remember Mrs Lacey's greengrocers shop in Cattell Road, it was almost opposite Templefield Street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nick

apparently I lived there for my first 18 months from 1953 but I don't remember it.... although i'm still a Blues supporter so something must have stuck!

My dad and mom (Phil and Frances Carr) lived with Ellen for a few years, in fact my Great Grandadd, Jim Carr lived with his family at 1 Dover Place, which I think was at the back of the greengocers at 150.

Do you have any memories of Ellen Lacey or the family?

Dave

Hi Dave, my memories of Mrs Lacy are from the mid forties,I'd have been about ten years old, see seemed a pleasant old lady,always dressed in dark dress with a black apron on. don't know what age she'd have been then,
The other thing I remember is my Mother saying "ask Mrs Lacy for some big spuds for making chips"

Nick

Hi Nick
thanks for that memory, where would we be without chips! I'll pass it on to my dad.

I do have a photo of Nelly Lacey as a teenager with a group of local girls in something called the St Andrews VGC Pierettes. A bit before your time I know but just in case you recognise any of the faces?

Nellie is kneeling by the left arm of the girl sat down in the middle.

Dave

hi Nick,
my mothers parents lived off Cattell rd at No 6/111 i know they were their in the mid thirties on ward, would you know the name Arthur Davis and his wife

Sorry Frederick, I don't remember the Davis family.

I have this picture of Cattell Rd Dave, Lacey's shop would be were the cars parked

Hi Nick

thanks for the photo of Cattell Road, it's the first one i've seen of the period we're talking about and is really appreciated, more stuff for my family history!

all the best

Dave
:)

Dave C, Great photo, quote 'Bit before your time I know' You have to pick your words carefully on this Forum some are older than you think even older:D

The Lacy Family came over with William the conqueror in 1066, a norman noble family. Hugh De lacy...Cat

Hi Alf
fair point, although i'm not quite so young as my youthful photo might suggest! Is it just me or does memory improve with age? My dad is in his early 80s and whenever we talk about the family history he comes out with another new gold nugget of information.

Dave

Hi Catkin
Thats interesting, I did wonder about the French Connection? It just leaves me a gap of about 700 years.......... Dave

Dave I remember reading some thing a few years ago that the Brain is able to recall everything it has stored in your life time, but all it needs is some thing or someone to prompt it.
Having been on this great Forum for over four years now it certainly seems to prove the point.
Also one thing that crops up time and time again is I wish I had asked my parents or aunts etc.
So Dave hang on to every word your Dad says its worth its weight in Gold.
About your youthful photo Dave I couldn't afford an Artist to paint my portrait in my early days.:D

No Lloyd he's my stand in and Double, the real me is on TV at this very moment BBC2, in that series I knocked up about the good old days in Aston Its called the Flintstones.

Don't get upset about that Lloyd you can still keep the picture up in the Bedroom:D

Back