• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Holte Public House Aston

YOUNG319

proper brummie kid
Hi All,
I am researching the Managers of the Holte P/House from 1900 to 1945,
if any one has any info then i would be most grateful.
Happy new year to all,
young319 newbie:stung:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
1900-05 James T.Lees
1908-15 Horace Barbour
1921 C.H. Mitchell
1932-40 Charles William Morrison Nibblett
1943 William Henry Ford

YOUNG319

proper brummie kid
Hi Mikejee,
Thanks for your info, thats helped alot in my research, however to explain
my wifes great grandmother was manageress at the Holte Brewery in 1911
according to the census (Mrs Mary Ann Farrell) How in my nievity, i had presumed
that a lot of beer's where brewed sometimes on the premises and that the brewery &
pub was one and the same. Therefore your information has discounted this theory however
still has a bearing on her daily contacts. So now i have to switch my search to the brewery,
and if anybody knows any info i would be most grateful,
Kind Regards
Young319 newbie

YOUNG319

proper brummie kid
Hi Mikejee,
its great to be back, thanks for this you are quite correct no `E', After further digging i believe i have narrowed it down to two
possible locations, the first possibility is Goodfellows pub in Old Meeting st ( wether this was still standing in 1911 i am not sure)
the other is according to my relatives census return is `The Timberman Inn' (I have never heard of such a pub) My theory is that
they where possibly deceiving the authorities, and really managed the Woodman Inn in Summer Lane. What ever the story it will
take a lot more delving, Iwill search the forum for more info especially for a concise list of Holt brewery pubs and Managers,
Again many thanks for your help,
Kind regards
young319

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hee -Hee. Did you say a concise history? the Holt brewery had 250 pubs when they were taken over by Ansells in 1934 !
But :
The pub she was managing was the Holt (or Holte) Arms, 13 Lister St . you can just about read the “Arms” . I don’t know which site you got your census data from. I use ancestry, which has only just put on the info for 1911 for Birmingham in the last few weeks. On this can go to the next page after the page the search brings up, and if you do you see that it gives the address on what must have been the cover of her form
According to directories the pub had Thomas Henry Bills in 1910. Mary Ann Farrell in 1912 and Henry Sidwell in 1913 (Remember year on directory is year of publication. Collection of data could be 9 months or so earlier)
Mike

rosie

brummie
I know it's not in the right time-frame but my Gt Grandfather was a manager at The Holte Arms in 1898. Was it renamed "The Pot O' Beer" then "The Gosta Green"?? Or have I got the wrong one?

(He was also at "The Lord Nelson " in Thorp St. in 1900, and also "The Duke Of York" Duke St. He was Francis R. Blakemore.)

rosie.

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was your g g.father Thomas Burford. He was listed landlord of thepub in 1897-9. the pot of beer is a different pub
Mike

rosie

brummie
Thank you Mike, he was Francis R. Blakemore. I know the other 2 are right from Kelly's and Birth Certificates, so I'll change the info on my records. I've always been unsure about the Holte Arms part, and I like to keep thngs right.
rosie.

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
Mike have you a map showing 13 Lister St I knew the area well in the 50 -70s I cannot remember a pub.The Pot of beer became a pub after Holts were taken over by Ansells originally the building was part of Holts Offices.Dek

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dek
The pub seems to have disappeared between 1921 and 1932. It is listed in kelllys only as a beer retailer, but the census of 1911 mentioned earlier shows it was te Holte Arms then. McKenna says it was closed in 1889 !. He’s very useful, but not the first time he has killed off a pub before its time. Below is 1889 map showing it
mike
Get a red cross with coppermine, so will post it from photobucket

mapc1889HoltArmslisterst.jpg

View attachment 72193

YOUNG319

proper brummie kid
Mikejee,
You are a genius, How on earth did you find that out i am a member of ancestry and completely missed this
info. But talking Ansells brewery my Grandfather Young was part of the brewing team up to his retirement in
1965. Again in your dept, but gratefull,

Kind Regards
Dave Y :angel:

Pottyhouse

Brummie babby
I believe my GGGM Mary Ann Farrell was a Publican with her husband James Farrell at the Oddfellows in 1901. James Farrell passed in 1908 and in the 1911 census she was Manageress for Holt Brewery.