• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Gypsys Tent or The Badgers Sett

fergie

master brummie
I have recently discovered that my great great Grandfather John Bartlett my have owned a pub known as The Gypsys Tent which I believe may be the Badgers Sett. I had previously learnt from his will that he had property on Hagley Hill but had not been able to establish this. I found property for sale in the Birmingham Daily Post 1881 belonging to John Bartlett which included the Gypsys Tent. Does anyone have any information on this? It states in the notice that it is situated in Hagley on the Birmingham and Hagley Road one mile from the village and railway station, 3 miles from Halesowen.

Hi Fergie we pass that on the way to the caravan. One pub was turned into a row of houses a few years ago but can't remember the name. Will take a photo when we pass next week. It is a very difficult pub to come out of as the traffic is so fast along that road. Jean.

The name of The Gypsy's Tent was changed to the Badgers Sett, we still prefer the old name though.
Yes Jean the traffic there is awful now, so many road markings!
rosie.

There was a pub in Bordesley Green called the Gypsies Tent,the name was then changed to the Typsy Gent I think it is now derelict

The Gypsy's Tent and the Badger's Sett are definitely one and the same.

I remember running, well mostly rolling, down Clent for a glass of lemonade at the Gypsy's Tent in the fifties, those were the days when we used to walk across the fields from Illey to Clent sometimes via Uffmoor Wood, (sometimes via St Kenelms when we would call at the Sun Inn at Romsley for our drink) the only roads to cross was by Vincent's Toffee Factory and Hagley Road if going to the Gypsy's Tent.

We were told to keep out of Hagley Wood, which is on the Clent side of the Hagley Road opposite the Badger's Sett, but never told why but reading this post prompted me to Google it and these links came up, the 2nd link explains why we were told to keep away from the wood - shame really I think if we had known at the time we would have been tempted to go in!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/content/articles/2007/10/30/a456_ghost_feature.shtml

[URL]https://brian-haughton.com/articles/bella_in_the_wych-elm/

[/URL]
Thank you for posting it has brought back many lovely forgotten memories

bewdley

Thank you for all your help, the information I found was sale of property advertised in the Birmingham Daily Post 1881 it made references to property that was owned by John Bartlett including an earlier reference I had made regarding Trinity Cottage which according to the advert was opposite Trinity Church Camp Hill. Other property was Bartlett Buildings on the former Hockley Hill and Key Hill site.

Bewdley that was interesting to read. I do remember that part of the road has a nickname of the 'Murder Mile'. I presume due to fast cars?? Carol

Thanks for that Bewdley. I am sure not so long back more remains were found there but can only remember it wasn't a murder. Can anyone remember that one?. It would have been in the last twelve years.

Thanks Carolina will take a good look tomorrow when I won't be distracted [I hope]?. Thanks Bewdley for that. I thought I hadn't dreaded it up?. We passed it today on the way to Bewdley and I didn't take my camera as promised I will next time though.

Back