• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Globe Inn Hope St 1891

sheronb

master brummie
Doing my friends tree, her ancester James Crompton ran this pub in 1891........Does anyone have any old photos or info on this pub, would be lovely to give to my friend:)Many thanks.

Hi Sheron

I think you may be lucky to find a photo (now I have said that someone will come up with one). Looking in Kelly's Directory for 1903 the is a J. Crompton at 97 Hope Street Beer Retailer. By the 1913 edition it had been replaced by 97 Ernest Buck Lenton upholsterer.

Phil

Just checked my records: Robert Crompton (1807-1856) father of James Alfred Crompton b. 1847 brother of Francis Harry Crompton (1848-1896) father of Francis Harry Crompton (1875-1924) father of Doris Hilda Crompton (1899-1980) mother of Michael John Ingram

Are you related Michael? It's the 1847 James Alfred the 1873 one is his son. I have done a little research got Robert as the elder one's father.Sorry how silly of me, can see that you are how exciting!

In 1879 there is a James Alfred Crompton recorded as the Landlord of The White Swan at 157 New John Street. This obviously must be the father born in 1847, I would think there would be a photo of the White Swan hanging about somewhere as it was still open in the 60's.

Phil

To expand a little on Phil:

1888 Cooper George beer retailer
1890-1903 Crompton James Alfred beer retailer
1904 Parkes George, beer retailer
In 1904 James Alfred was not listed elsewhere. There was another James Crompton, but he was another beer retailer in Upper Trinity St, who had already been there a long time.
The pub was still there with Isaac Flavell landlord in 1908, but is not listed 1910-12.
As Phil says , it was an upholsterers in 1913.

However he was in the pub trade before 1890. :

Not listed 1868.
1873 Crompton James Alfred, beerhouse, 30 Cliveland street
1876-1888 Crompton James Alfred, White Swan 157 New John st
mike

Mike,could you tell me where The White Swan,157 New John Street was?Phil states that it was there until the 60s.
I can't remember it,still there seems to be a lot of things i can't remember these days.Moss

Moss
this would seem to be the pub in red, at 157 New john St

map_c1951__white_Swan_pub_NJS.jpg

hi moss i struggled with with the white swan one but then i realised the pub was in new john st not as i thought new john st west...wouldnt mind finding a piccie of this one...

lyn

Last edited:
Back