• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The General Havelock

R

Rod

We are looking for any information, stories & pictures of The General Havelock Public House on Aston Road. The tiniest scraps of information could be important, so if you ever used or entered this pub please could you contact us.

General Havelock @ 18 Aston Road North, publican Thomas H Richards in 1908, cheers (hic) s,cuse John :crazy2:

ROD:
surely you aught with august alacritous rectitude be considering items other than taverns?
what of music halls?
upstairs gathering rooms above public houses?
what happened to the upright pianos?
what was the distribution of snooker/billiard tables in 'locals'?
what was th extent of gambling in pubs?
how about musical activities?

I hope the cues take your mind of floodlighting pubs - of antiquity that is - across town.
(There were some amusing anecdotes on the olden V-B site?)

I appreciate your enthusiasm, however, I am obliged to counsel prudence at this stage.
(You'll have plenty of time for such delves.) [Kindly rest assured, olden mate.]

My mother used to run a ladies dart team from the General Havelock in the early sixties. I have a couple of photos of the ladies dart team taken under the dart board. By the way when the dart board was closed, on the doors was painted a kangaroo with the words A.I.F. 1943?.
My dad was a glass blower in Phillips Street and when we went to see him( he was on permanent nights) he used to send us to the Havelock for a couple of pints of beer in screw top bottles. If you were under 14 they used to put a sticker over the top of the stopper, wouldnt work today would it?.
I remember the pub as a friendly place, my wife Sheila my mom and my two sisters all played for the darts team. Happy days ,happy memories.

Graham Twist.

Adelaide
I have a few photo's of your Mom Maisie, in the darts team as well as on holiday
Amazing
I have in fact got 5 photos of your Mom, nice looking dark haired lady
which I will scan for you and send by E-mail next week, (A couple are with Lil Rainey ) and a few other people

Cromwell WHO ARE YOU???, Lily Rainey was a great pal of my mom I remember her very well.my mom passed away in 2002 unfortunately.
Would love to see the photos

Regards.

Adelaide, I have e-mailed you two photos of you mom, never thought,can you print them off ?
Two to follow in the pub which I have a bit of work to do on them as they are quite damaged
Have you any objection with me putting them on the Haverlock site ?

whats the name of this pub in Haverlock road

Attachments

• Havelock_tavern[1].jpg
    Havelock_tavern[1].jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
John
This is not the Haverlock we are talking about,there are 3 Haverlock Roads Greet, Saltley and Handsworth
The one we are on about is not in the Haverlock Road but in Aston

Which Havelock Road is it John?

Washwood Heath.
Greet
or off Westminster Road, Handsworth.
There is also a Havelock Terrace, Louise Road, Handsworth.

John Did a bit of my courting in the Haverlock Aston
then the Avenues, Star, Hen and Chickens
Dont know about the others

I think there is some confusion here, we all know the General Havelock is on Aston Road, but John wanted to know the name of the pub in Havelock Road, Washwood Heath.

BTW Cromwell you mentioned the STAR can you pinpoint where it was please, I mentioned this on another thread.

Sylvia,
Now we are going back in time here, as a 17 year old Street names did not matter directions were from Pub to pub
Start in the pub on the corner of William Henry Street Hen and Chickens(I think) walk down to Aston Rd
past the Golden Cross (turn left their) the Star was just past the shops, picture house Astoria ?) then the next pub down was the Haverlock then Avenues (I might be wrong )

I think you must have had too much to drink young Cromwell. I can't remember where all the ones you mentioned were, but the General Havelock was on the opposite side of Aston Road to the Astoria, Avenue and Albion, it was past Rippingilles going towards town between Phillips Street, Aston Brook Street etc. Still can't find out exactly where the Star was - one for John H and his Kellys I think.

You are correct Sylvia I now remember crossing the road (but I dont remember crossing back )
Happy Times :buck2:

Star Inn, 88a Aston Road North, by Yates St and Halfords. O0

Attachments

• Aston Star Inn Aston Rd North.JPG
    Aston Star Inn Aston Rd North.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 13
Thanks again Postie, I must be getting old - didn't see the mention of Yates Street and Halfords last night - or are you fooling me and updated your post?

The name of the pub in Havelock Road, Washwood Heath was the Havelock Inn. O0

The Ladies darts team Haverlock Aston Rd 1960's
The Haverlock Darts Team
Lily Rainey, Irene Juxon and Maisey Twist enjoying a drink in the Haverlock

hi rod my father,and g/f used the havelock pub when the aussies were there iremember him telling me an aussie painted the dart board as stated elsewere we lived in miller street we left after the brook anddobson and crowther got bombed we moved to dyas rd great barr i dont think my dad went there after we moved but my g/f would have this might help to date the drawing
tom(33bus)

Was there a General Wolf in Aston, opposite the old Midland counties dairy, also there was a cafe next to the Havelock c1963

Just caught up with this post,their was a General Wolfe Inn at number 23 Aston Rd
The Haverlock was 18 Aston Rd North
The Star Inn was 88a Aston Rd n North which is quite intriguing as I have a coin from their enabling beer to be bought which I have never heard of before, I will put pic of pub and coin as soon as I can
But would like info if anyone knows anything about it

They were called Pub Tokens Crommie. Here is an intro to a paper witten about them. It costs 30$, so I
saved the head line as it mentions Brum. They are collectable, some have landlords names or initials and others have the pubs name on them.

(1) Leicester City Museums, New Walk, Leicester, LE1 7EA, United Kingdom

Abstract This paper, based on research carried out for the author's Ph.D. thesis (1996), explores the uneven national distribution of tokens used in public houses in England and Wales c.1830–c.1920. It argues that after an initial, geographically restricted, consumer-led phase, pub tokens became a primarily supply-led phenomenon, with die-sinkers (especially those based in Birmingham) actively creating a niche for their products. The spatial patterning of pub tokens reflects their customized nature and dependence on traditional regional marketing networks.
tokens - pubs - nineteenth-century

A friend of mine at work says there was a pub between the Albion and the Avenue, was it the General Havelock?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Frothblower, the Albion and the Avenue pubs were on the right hand side of Aston Road looking towards Aston Cross, and the General Havelock was on the opposite side of the road, but further along towards town quite near Rippingilles.

Back