• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The geach arms, summer lane

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi pub crawlers
how many of you summer laners remember the
the geach arms
there was a good few characters that frequented the place
but names i will not mention ,as i know they do have relatives still alive today and the pub was on the corner of geach st.
John did you ever go in there ,or your father i found it smokey
but in them days most pubs was especialy in the bars
even thou they called rooms smoke rooms most of them was nt to bad ,it was always the bars and now we have no smoking at all in these pubs the smoking population was highly hughes in them days
with the park drives , woody wood bines my old man smoked two
per week with out fail poor old chap died at 42 years old in 1957
and there was the pipe smoking brigade , =how many smoke a pipe these days i wonder cleaner air less pubs these pipes didnt
half throw out smoke especial ols condor or twist and black shagg. [if i am allowed to say that would and i am not political
minded about it but it was a tobaco used by pipe smokers in those days best wishes astonian ;;

The Geach had a good Sunday Football Side in the 1960s I played for them.
It was called Alexandra Suppiles renamed Newtown Unity out of the Newtown Club.

My Dad drank there Astonian:)

good morning alf
what postion did you play alf , i most certainly remember the unity club
i haven,t been down there for afew years now but i do remenber the untity club very well and on my last visit i beleive the club was still there at least the building any way
alf , where did the alenander supplies name come from ?. is that the same company whom make or retail works unifoms in or was at the bottom of steel house lane years ago , have a nice day alf best wishes astonian ,;;

Hi Astonian, don't have any idea where the name came from.

I believe the Newtown Unity is still there.

I played Centre Forward not for long I moved on, the next season.:)

hi astonian....the geach arms was one of my nans favourite watering holes...have you got a pic of it....i am sure i have one somewhere but i cant seem to find it...i really must do another tidy up....lol

lyn:):):)

the geach arms...my nans favourite watering hole...

astoness:)

alf...around what time would your dad have been using the geach....

Last edited:
hi folks..just found another pic of the geach arms pub..this one shows a good view up summer lane...will scan and post later..

lyn:)

as promised another pic of the geach arms...yet another of my favourites as views of summer lane seem very few and far between....

lyn:):)

Attachments

• Newtown Geech Arms 2.jpg
    Newtown Geech Arms 2.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 49
as promised another pic of the geach arms...yet another of my favourites as views of summer lane seem very few and far between....

lyn:):)

Dad used it lot as we lived on Newtown Row and had friends there Dad was born 1914 and still used it in the 1960s on and off even though we moved away in 1947, his friends were two Brothers and he knew Dennis Sullivan well.:)

By the way that door on the right with the Chimney we held our football meetings there every Thursday evening.

Last edited:
hi alf.....your dad most likely drank in the geach at the same time as me nan....it was her favourite place from about 1930 till she left paddington st in the 60s....dennis lives round the corner from our mom and dad so he hasnt strayed far.....

lyn:)

Sorry to add to an old thread (wonderful google), but do you think the Geach Arms is at 142 Summer Lane. The reason I ask is I have been told my granddad lived and died above a pub and
his death cert gives the above address.

In 1940 no 142 summer lane is givrn as a lodging house. the geach arms is 217. 142 is on the corner of Moorsom St. On the other side of the corner is no 141, which is The Green Man
mike,

I lived at 2/17 geach st and remember the geach arms very well my dad used it frequently. i remember macadori and mr sullivan mr regan i attended william cowper

OUR YARD WAS OPPOSITE LAWLERS LAMP FACTORY. THE CORNFIELDS LIVED IN OUR YARD AND MR MRS DAY AND KIDS.I had a gret time there as a kid in the late 50s early 60s

hi tedted..happy days....i was born in paddington st and so far have no luck at all at finding any pics...if you ever come across any it would be great if you could post them on the forum....this is the only pic i have of geach st..not sure what end you lived at but this is taken from guildford st...

lyn

I remember the geach very well they ran a football team from there and it was called alexander supplies. we used to go on trips to symmonds yaught occasionally. I was 9 in 1960. Titch cornfield ran the football. team in those days. we lived at 2/17 geach st.

Looking at the Pub black list order I have for my Great Grandmothers sister,it was directed towards The Geach Arms Pub,That was dated 1901

my dad harry floyd used to drink in the geach,as our uncle sid used to live in geach street, i remember a macadori who used to live rough, some times my dad would bring him home and let him sleep in his van, i used to sit out side the geach some times selling fruit / veg or other items while my dad was in side ,good old days ,..........

geach arms..corner of geach st/summer lane..

geacharms.jpg

hi dennis and welcome..there are lots of photos of geach st under the geach st thread and im sure somewhere on the forum ive posted a couple of rodway st but i cant locate them at the min...

lyn

Hi Lyn.my spelling was awful.should have been geach street and rodway street.My father was a barmen for years at the three horse shoes when the gaffer was Ernie round.
I worked as a part time window cleaner with Ted leatherbarrow I also had a paper round at groves paper shop in summer lane and many people will remember me selling the sports Argus
around all the streets in that area.I also worked at Bailey Brothers on the corner of Hospital Street and Tower Street.I am still married to my wife who was Valerie George from Park Lane.People will remember her dad Erniewho always had his scotch terrier with him

dennis bird

hi dennis please dont worry...i knew what you meant.. there are plenty of pics of all those streets you mentioned on the forum...type in what you are looking for in the search box at the top right of the main page any problems get back to me..in the meantime click on the link below and go to post 117 where i have posted photos of all the pubs bar one that was on summer lane including the three horseshoes..

lyn
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29653&page=8&highlight=pubs+summer+lane

Last edited:
Hi pub crawlers
how many of you summer laners remember the
the geach arms
there was a good few characters that frequented the place
but names i will not mention ,as i know they do have relatives still alive today and the pub was on the corner of geach st.
John did you ever go in there ,or your father i found it smokey
but in them days most pubs was especialy in the bars
even thou they called rooms smoke rooms most of them was nt to bad ,it was always the bars and now we have no smoking at all in these pubs the smoking population was highly hughes in them days
with the park drives , woody wood bines my old man smoked two
per week with out fail poor old chap died at 42 years old in 1957
and there was the pipe smoking brigade , =how many smoke a pipe these days i wonder cleaner air less pubs these pipes didnt
half throw out smoke especial ols condor or twist and black shagg. [if i am allowed to say that would and i am not political
minded about it but it was a tobaco used by pipe smokers in those days best wishes astonian ;;
Remember the geach very we lived at2/17 geach st

Back