• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Flag

pudding

master brummie
Hi all,
I was in discussion with an old gentleman a little while back about the old pubs around Nechells area he said to me there was once a pub on the corner of Railway Terrace and High Park street by the name of The Flag? myself as a child 1960's can only seem to recall a boarded up old premises, do any of you members have any knowledge of this pub.thanks

Hi Pudding

Keeping well I hope, I have had a quick look in the directory's and can find no trace of this pub, I can only suggest it might have been a beer retailer and as such was un - recorded. I don't suppose you have a date for the last time the gentleman knew it was there?

Pudding,

I'm getting a bit in front of myself, in the 1930's there was a beer retailer at 1 High Park Street which would have been on the corner of Railway Terrace, but the listing is discontinued in 1938 which means it probably closed in 1937.

phil has high park st gone now then.. at the moment railway terrace is sandwiched between long acre and nechells park road but of course the layout could have changed over the years..the mitre pub is on the corner of longacre and railway terrace and is still open

lyn

Lyn

High Park Street along with half of Railway Terrace disappeared under the Wing Yip warehouse years back, like the rest of Birmingham Nechells has changed much over the years. I've marked number 1 High Park St on the map.

Attachments

• high park st.JPG
    high park st.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 8
thanks phil i thought as much as i did a bit of research some years back on that area and thought we had lost some of railway terrace..didnt know about high park st going though

lyn

Phil, I'm not too bad considering the time of the year for colds and flu thanks.

The establishment we are discussing as I thought in my minds eye as a kid was at number 75 on your map that you have posted on here.

Lyn.I have read on a FB group within the last week or two that all of Railway Terrace has now been acquire by Ying Yip and the Mitre is about to or now has closed.

Pedrocut. that an old for sale notice 1865, well that proof of the name, thanks

Once again thank you for your helpful reply's.

Lyn.I have read on a FB group within the last week or two that all of Railway Terrace has now been acquire by Ying Yip and the Mitre is about to or now has closed.

hi pudding...if that is true then thats a shame...it will be yet another of our old pubs to go:(

lyn

Phil, can you look up what number 75 Railway Terrace was please, as for the pub in question must have disappeared when L H Newtons was built.

The map does not show a 73, but a 74 and a 74a. Maybe 73 was called 74 on map for some reason

The map does not show a 73, but a 74 and a 74a. Maybe 73 was called 74 on map for some reason
Hi Mike, it was the corner building I was referring too as it did look like a public serving building and not a residential house.

IMG_1469.jpg
Clip Nov 1865

Also...

Dec 1893....Flag...Railway Terrace to T Vaughan

Dec 1895...Flag...Railway Terrace, J Taylor

Back