• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Fighting Mortons

O

O.C.

The Mr and Mrs Rose Morton  in the Great War had Seven Sons, 3 Brother in Laws and 4 of  Rose Mortons brothers serving in the armed forces and 3 of Mr Mortons Brothers 17 family memberin total  fighting for their country
How many survived ? That is what we will try to find out
First Pic shows a newspaper report, and at the time the family was living at 2 back of 56 Ormond Street
Birmingham
Well before the Great War the family were living at 1 back of 36 Pritchett Street
Charles H. Horton Head 41
Rose A Horton Wife   40
Charles H. Son 18
Florence L. Dau. 17
William Son 15
Rose A. Dau. 14
Arthur J.  Son 18
May Dau 11
John Son 9
Minnie Dau. 7
Elsie Dau. 6
Harry Son 1

Charles H. Morton survived the war
Shown below in uniform and bottom picture after the war with his children 

Front of a Card of Remembrance or Death Card
For Arthur and John Morton and Brother in Law A.R.Shelswell
On Soldiers Died in The Great War it has different details to what is on Arthur's Death Card, it states: -
Arthur John Morton 11988 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Killed in Action 26th Sep.1915
On The CWWG site and SDIGW there is no trace of John's Death so both men have no known grave and are not commemorated on any memorial. It means that if they had a soldier’s burial at the front the grave were later bombed and shelled and just disappeared into the battlefields

William Morton 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers wounded transfered to 16th Royal Warwickshire Regt No. 30432 and was Killed in action on 5th Oct 1917 Remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial Belgium

Photograph sent by Harry Morton to his parents who had this time were living at 2 Cambridge Place, Allesley (?)
Birmingham

Albert Davies 1st Batt.Worcestershire Regiment Son in Law of the Mortons Killed in Action on 3rd Jan.1915

The Wife (nee Morton) and children of Albert Davies
Bottom photo the two children the following year

What a sobering story, so many losses, so much sadness for one family, although I believe it wasn't so uncommon. Regarding the address for photo no.5 - Cambridge Place, Allesley - I think this is Allesley Street, Aston, which ran from 188 Aston Road to Elkington Street, and is very near all the previous Morton addresses.

The whole of this article was started off by someone showing me this old precious rotting newspaper cutting glued to cardboard of their relatives at a Bar-B-Q, and just by looking at it, I knew it was ready to disintegrate and would not last another few years.
The newspaper article at the start was one I had, and thatÂ’s when I smiled and thought
“Great” I know I can help someone.
This is what its all about.
And I know we can get back further with your help and research, as I am limited in what I know, but you folk are the best and can add a bit more.
So please do, you are the first Sylvia so Thank you.
Then I will phone the guy up and show him what we have done.

Cambridge Place and also Oxford Place were definately off Allesley St. O0

Cromwell, your acquaintance will be absolutely over the moon with what you have posted here for him, I'm glad to have helped in a tiny way, I'm sure other "learned" friends will also help.

:angel: Crommie mate I was born in Allesley St...
index.php

And today: Taken by Kandor

Last edited:
Chris and Kandor thanks for that
Now I have to try and figure out relationship with the belows
I know The Father of the Mortons had brothers in the war and one was a sailor
So the puzzle now gets interesting

MORTON, A., Sergt., Royal Warwickshire Regt.
He volunteered in October 1914, and in the following year was drafted to France, where he fought in various sectors of the Front. He saw very heavy fighting, and was twice wounded, after taking part in many important engagements was killed in action in 1917. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
41, Brearley Street, Handsworth, Birmingham.

MORTON, T., Rifleman, KingÂ’sRoyal RifleCorps.
Volunteering in 1914, he was drafted to the Western Front in September of that year. There, after seeing severe fighting and taking part in several important engagements
he was killed in action on February 8th, 1915. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
41, Brearley Street, Handsworth, Birmingham.

MORTON, A., Sergt., Royal Warwickshire Regt. Re-enlisting in November 1915, he was drafted to France in April of the following year, and there fought in various sectors of the Front. He saw very severe fighting, was wounded in action he took part in the Battles of Ypres, St. Quentin and Cambrai and other important engagements until March 1918, when he was invalided to hospital at Rouen. He was demobilised on his return to England in February 1919, and holds the General Service and Victory Medals. He had previously served for some time in the Army. 25, Vincent Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

MORTON, C., A.B., R.N., H.M.S. "Victory."
He volunteered in March 1915, and was posted to H.M.S." Victory," on board this vessel he served with the Grand Fleet in the North Sea. He was also engaged as a deck-hand in a trawler, employed on mine-laying duties, and did good work until his demobilisation in May 1919. He holds the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals.
17, Malvern Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

MORTON, F., Sapper, R.E. Joining in May 1916, he was sent to France in the following August, and there served in various sectors of the Front. He was engaged on important duties as a wireless telegraphist whilst in this theatre of war, and rendered valuable services until his return home for demobilisation in June 1919. He holds the General Service and Victory Medals.
17, Malvem Street, Balsall Heath, Birmingham.

MORTON, A. E., Private, Wiltshire Regiment.
He volunteered in September 1914, and on completing his training in the following February proceeded to the Western Front. There he saw severe fighting in various sectors and after playing a prominent part in the Battles of Neuve Chapelle, Ypres, Festubert, Loos and Laventie and many other important engagements, was killed in action at Arras on April 9th, 1917. He was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, and the General Service and Victory Medals. 2, Russell Square, Angelina Street, Highgate, Birmingham.

MORTON, A. C., Private, 2nd Hampshire Regiment. He joined in January 1917, and in the following May proceeded to the Western Front, where he saw severe fighting in various sectors. After taking part in engagements at Arras, Bapaume and Albert and many other places, he was killed in action at the Battle of Cambrai on December 3rd, 1917. He was entitled to the General Service and Victory Medals.
16 Back of 387, Heath Street, Winson Green, Birmingham.

:angel: This bloke could be part of the 'Morton' family growing up in Vaughton St.:

" Celebrated TV and Film actor Tony Morton's vivid recollection of his early life in Highgate with his Mother and Grandmother are profoundly moving. He has said that both he and his Auntie Ida agree that when you now stand on the steps to the West Door of St. Alban's Church and look out down the green grassy slopes of Conybere Street the view is very different. It would not be easy today to picture what this area of Highgate in Birmingham looked like, but 100 years ago, terraced houses, courts, back-to-back housing were built over a filled-in clay pit known locally as Vaughton's hole.
Housing was cramped, clustered, and claustrophobic, two up, two down for a family of 7.Courts and terraces led into a cul-de-sac of more courts and terraces.  These were serviced by outside water closets or lavatories - approximately three lavatories to six families sited in out-houses built in the centre of each court adjacent to a communal wash house where a family's washing was laundered in public..."

MAP OF THE AREA

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, Just found out William Morton was killed in action and amended info as well on the death cards

Maybe you already know this Cromwell, sorry if you do, but here goes.

Charles Henry MORTON married Rose SPRAYSON June/July/ Aug 1882 6d 217

source FreeBMD

Cromwell, I have looked for Charles H and Rose on the 1891 Census, with no luck so far, I'll keep trying, the name was obviously misspelled.

Rowan, I did not know that Thank you, and Di. will be glad of any snippet you find.

Elsie Morton daughter of Rose & Charles Morton

Andrew Preston was born 1848 in woodland Dorset. He married Ann M Sumers. She was born 1855.
Children of Andrew Preston and Ann Sumers are:
ERNEST PRESTON, b. 1885, Groby Leicester; d. 1941, Birmingham,
ALBERT PRESTON, b. 1880.
BIRTIE PRESTON, b. 1882.
WALTER PRESTON, b. 1887.
FLORENCE PRESTON, b. 1889.
BEATRICE PRESTON, b. 1892.
ELSIE PRESTON, b. 1900.
Generation No. 2
2. Ernest Preston was born 1885 in Groby Leicester, and died 1941 in Birmingham. He married Elsie Morton, daughter of Charles Morton and Rose A Sprayson. She was born 1895 in Birmingham, and died April 24, 1982 in Birmingham.
Children of Ernest Preston and Elise Morton are:
DOUGLAS PRESTON, b. March 20,1937, Birmingham.
BEATRICE PRESTON, b. January 4, 1926, Birmingham.
VICTOR PRESTON, b. April 12,1927, Birmingham.
KENNETH PRESTON, b. August 13, 1931, Birmingham; m. BARBARA; b. Birmingham.
JEAN PRESTON, b. November 19,1932.
RONALD PRESTON, b. January 11,1934, Birmingham.
RAYMOND PRESTON, b. August 17,1939, Birmingham.

The Chap who I did all this research for has not got a computer so I will have to print it all off and take it over to him (I must be mad)

I have been looking into Morton family as I am a Morton, My Grandfather was Clarence Morton whom I never new. Sapper Frank was his brothers son. both appear on the fighting mortons but no relation to Rose as far as I know??

Hello, not that I know, I do not know much about my late fathers family as Clarence my Grandfather had passed on before i was born. I only have snippetts of conversation and family stories to go on. On one of the census I looked at someone was involved in canals but most of the family seemed to be employed as telegraph messenger boys. they seem to be living in Aston till 1901 census and then Malvern St Balsall Heath 1911 census.

A conversation we heard was that my fathers Aunt Rose had a cafe by the Villa he used to visit and my grt Grandfather Charles was a cloggmaker, but I have not gone back that far yet so possibly canlas could come in somewhere .

Thanks Chris, Just found out William Morton was killed in action and amended info as well on the death cards

My grandfather Clarence who was in the Navy had a brother William as well as a Henry and John and they had a sister Rose and Sarah. We have a post card in the house from 1916 when my Grandfather wrote to Henry at 14 Malvern Street so think I am related someway but on the census for 1901 I think he is aged about 32 so would he have not been too old?

the family were in Aston , Curzon St and Lawlwy St 1901 and before .

Back