• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The 'Exchange' beer house.

Hi. I have family recorded as living there on the 1851 census. The ancestor is Henry Phipps and he and his family are there. He is listed as a builder even though the address is given as ‘Royal Exchange, Granville Street’; it was only through googling the address, I came to this thread on the forum. No-one at the address is listed as a beer retailer/license.

Hello, I believe my great great great grandfather ran the Royal Exchange around 1901 - James Hemming. I have a photo of him outside with his name up on the window and the census records - does anyone know if there's anywhere I could check old pub records possibly for more information? Many thanks in advance.

Hi, I've just stumbled on this post, James Hemming is also my three times Great Grandfather, his Daughter Ann is my great-great grandmother, and so it's nice to see other descendants out there!

James was from my Dad's Mom's side of the family and as I don't have any photos of anyone before my grandparents' generation, it was lovely to see the photo of the Royal Exchange on the Ancestry website.

Mike sorry for the delay after picking up this thread again after so long my friend tells me he thinks that became a so called halfway house later on , the frontage in the 60's was just plain render not at all resembling anything like the pic

Back