• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The 'Exchange' beer house.

golightly

master brummie
Hello--In Joseph Mckenna' book--'Central Birmingham Pubs vol 2' he briefly mentions the 'Exchange' in Granville St, a beer House that was closed in 1929, under the 'Fewer but better' scheme. My grandparents ran this place in the 1920's, and were compensated under scheme --'emigrated to North Wales', bought a nice guest house , and lived happily ever after--I'm told. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any visual record of the pub--and even after contacting the author, and the venerable Prof Carl Chinn, I've still had no luck. I don't suppose the great members of this site happen to have ANY photo or drawing/newspaper images? Regards Phil. golightly.

Can't help with the photo, but, although it doesn;t seem to be listed in the directories other than as "beer retailer" (not unusual) , according to the electoral roll, officially it was The Royal Exchange at no 39.
mike

Mikejee--thanks for your response. Can you just confirm for me---the address for the 'Royal Exchange' ?--It IS listed as being in --Granville St. ? If it is, then it can only be THE one. It's not likely that 2 pubs with similar names would be in one street--would it?--regards , golightly.

Yes it is granville st. i attach the relevent page for 1925. Only thing is that they are still listed in 1930, and it is still listed as Royal exchange in 1935 with a george Dandocks and George Kiff living there with their wives.
In 1939 it is Agnes McMohen, listed as royal exchange. In 1945 there are other people there and it is not listed as royal exchange, but from 1945 onwards they don't seem to list pub names anyway.
It might be that the name lived on even after it stopped being a pub, possibly because of laziness of the electoral roll bureaucracy. I don't know
mike

Thanks again Mikejee, Now I'm really puzzled. When i wrote to the author Joseph McKenna asking him for his information source for this entry in his book--'Central Birmingham Pubs Vol 2' , he did give me a list of material, and more or less said what you say, regarding the lack of decisive I.d for 'beer Houses' and that this one was part of the new scheme for weeding out the less desirable Houses (nice thought) and it was introduced in 1929. My half brother, who is 88--told me about 'our conection, and how the brewery bought the whole rank of properties so as to extend--either production capacity or maybe offices--really don't know. the fact that my grandparents were able to move to North wales and own a guest house, live comfortably for the rest of their lives has to be provided from some where, as they were only working class, scraping by like most of their customers I guess. Perhaps my supposition that 2 pubs with similar names in the same street being unlikely--needs to be checked out. I expect the members here will tell us theres hundreds of examples now! regards golightly.

I know this was a long time ago, but is this "Royal Exchange" the pub you mention?Royal Exchange.jpg

hi lloyd cant make out the st sign but im pretty sure thats the one at alma street..ive always liked that photo

lyn

Last edited:
From newspaper reports there seems to have been a Royal Exchange on the Alma Street site from at least 1865. One advert at that time names it “ Bushells Royal Exchange” James Bushell was the landlord in October 1865. Viv.

Yes it is granville st. i attach the relevent page for 1925. Only thing is that they are still listed in 1930, and it is still listed as Royal exchange in 1935 with a george Dandocks and George Kiff living there with their wives.
In 1939 it is Agnes McMohen, listed as royal exchange. In 1945 there are other people there and it is not listed as royal exchange, but from 1945 onwards they don't seem to list pub names anyway.
It might be that the name lived on even after it stopped being a pub, possibly because of laziness of the electoral roll bureaucracy. I don't know
mike

Hello Mike I've only just come across this post , does the info that you posted include a map of the area . I lived in William St from 1955-1969 , I'm aware of an off licence run by a Mrs Neal who originally ran an off licence in Stoke St , The Glassmakers Arms , and The Granville . I'd love any information that you have about the above

William.
Do not offhand have any information on those two places, but here is the map you wanted of Granville and William St

map c1955 granville st and william St.jpg

I can confirm that the Royal Exchange ceased trading on December 21st 1929. Davenport's surrendered the licence [possibly with others] in order for the Black Horse at Northfield to get the go-ahead from the magistrates. This entry was made in the brewery's property register.

I can confirm that the Royal Exchange ceased trading on December 21st 1929. Davenport's surrendered the licence [possibly with others] in order for the Black Horse at Northfield to get the go-ahead from the magistrates. This entry was made in the brewery's property register.

thanks keiron good to see you back in action

lyn

Pedant alert ..... the Royal Exchange referred to and pictured within this thread, although on the corner of Alma Street, was officially No.1 High Street.

Returning to Granville Street .... unless I am being a plank, I cannot see the names of the grandparents in question.

Below is the same map with no 39 marked in red, with number beside it

View attachment 140642

Below is the same map with no 39 marked in red, with number beside it

View attachment 140642

Thanks for that Mike , where the number 39 is marked , was taken up by a company named Sherwood initials AA I think . The name was definitely right though, now opposite the number the highlighted box was something to do with a car repairs , move down a couple of houses thats where Mrs Neals Off Licence was situated . Moving further down to cnr Granville St/ Holliday St was where The Glass makers Arms was situated , going the opposite way now going up to Broad St The Granville PH was located on the right hand side , Just short of that on the same side where the warehouse is marked was the stores for Parker Winder a Achurch next to that going up to Broad St was The National Cash Register company . All that was as I remember that old area between 1955-69

Hello, I believe my great great great grandfather ran the Royal Exchange around 1901 - James Hemming. I have a photo of him outside with his name up on the window and the census records - does anyone know if there's anywhere I could check old pub records possibly for more information? Many thanks in advance.

The 1901 census lists James as a packing case maker at 39 Granville St

Kellys directory of 1900, 1903 and 1904 list James Hemming as a beer retailer at 39, Granville St .

The 1891 census lists 39 Granville St as the Royal Exchange beerhouse.

It was very common for beerhouse keepers to also have another occupation, and sometimes this is what is listed on the census. In these cases the establishment was often run by the wife , daughter or some other person for much of the time, while the listed licensee carried out his other job.

The year of the Kellys is the publication date and can usually be assumed to refer to the year before. James is not listed at all in the 1899 or 1908 Kellys. Therefore it would seem that he came to the royal Exchange in 1899 and left at sometime in the period 1903-1907. In March 1907 the police did object to the renewal of his licence after he had been convicted of selling beer outside permitted hours, but the magistrates did renew his licence. It would seem. However that shortly afterwards he in fact gave up the tenancy. this would probably have been because of the behaviour of his son, who was later convicted of assault, the magistrate asking for it to be referred to the licensing magistrates

Birm Gazette 4.2.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpgBirm Gazette 8.3.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpgBirm Gazette 14.8.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpgBirm Gazette 31.1.1907. royal exchange. hemmings.jpg

Wow, thank you so much! I have been googling and didn’t know where else to look! I have only started researching my family tree since the lockdown so I’m new to this. I will try and post the picture now.

The 1901 census lists James as a packing case maker at 39 Granville St

Kellys directory of 1900, 1903 and 1904 list James Hemming as a beer retailer at 39, Granville St .

The 1891 census lists 39 Granville St as the Royal Exchange beerhouse.

It was very common for beerhouse keepers to also have another occupation, and sometimes this is what is listed on the census. In these cases the establishment was often run by the wife , daughter or some other person for much of the time, while the listed licensee carried out his other job.

The year of the Kellys is the publication date and can usually be assumed to refer to the year before. James is not listed at all in the 1899 or 1908 Kellys. Therefore it would seem that he came to the royal Exchange in 1899 and left at sometime in the period 1903-1907. In March 1907 the police did object to the renewal of his licence after he had been convicted of selling beer outside permitted hours, but the magistrates did renew his licence. It would seem. However that shortly afterwards he in fact gave up the tenancy. this would probably have been because of the behaviour of his son, who was later convicted of assault, the magistrate asking for it to be referred to the licensing magistrates

View attachment 144110View attachment 144111View attachment 144112View attachment 144113

Mike have you got a map with The Exchange's position on please , I'm very interested with this as I lived in William St and had no knowledge of the pub thanks

Hello, I believe my great great great grandfather ran the Royal Exchange around 1901 - James Hemming. I have a photo of him outside with his name up on the window and the census records - does anyone know if there's anywhere I could check old pub records possibly for more information? Many thanks in advance.
Hi, I am researching my family tree and this James Hemming was my Great Great Grandfather

Back