• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Eagle Jazz Band

J

Jerry

One of our favourite saturday night spots back in the 60s was upstairs in The Old Crown in Digbeth listening to the Eagle Jazz band. They were a great band playing trad jazz in the style of kenny Ball and Acker Bilk and one of the band members had a collection of old silent comedies and used to show them in the intervals. I suppose it's pretty tame stuff by today's standards but everyone enjoyed it .

Anyway the reason I'm talking about it is that I've just discovered that the band is still going strong after all this time and is apparently well known and popular all over the Midlands and the North.

So if you'd like to give 'em a looksee sometime there's a gig guide on this site

www.eaglejazzband.co.uk

Thanks for that information. Ken Ingram, the original leader is my cousin. I have not seen him or the band since the 50's. I used to go to the jazz club at the Eagle and other venues where they played back then. That picture of me at the side was taken at the time but that was at a Lionel Hampton concert at the aTown Hall

I used to see the band at The Crown in the 1970s (I think).

I can remember the comedy routines involving a pair of blow-up female legs and Tony Hobson playing Mozart's Rondo a la Turk, using his knuckles on the top of his head with his mouth close to the mike.

Hope he didn't die from anyting brain related.

Back