• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Duke Of Cambridge, Great King Street

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
Lyn has asked for a replacement picture of this pub.
How could I refuse a lady?
Sorry I must try again when I have time to get the picture to appear.
Peter

hi peter and thanks for trying to post that pic:) its ok now thanks as ive found it...thought it was unusual for me not to save this one as i dont think there are many around of the original duke of cambridge..they then built the one that most folk will remember and demolished it in the late 60s i think...so that didnt last long:( anyhow here it is and also the one that replaced it...

thanks again

lyn

Here is a cracking photo of Michael's uncles brother Alfred Bailey behind the bar of the Duke of Cambridge, Great King Street. I don't know the year but Alfred died in 1955 and the address on the probate is the pub. Apparently he was a very good musician in his younger years. He ran off with the circus and became a clown who played several instruments. When the circus went bankrupt he came home.

Alfred_Bailey.jpg

what a smashing photo wend and a good story to go with it...i also had a rellie who ran off with the fair and married the owners daughter lol...if alfred died in 1955 and the probate address was the duke then that photo would have been taken in the 2nd duke of cambridge to be built on the same spot i believe in the 1930s....ive got a pic of the original duke and the newer one will sort them out and post them on this thread for you...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn I haven't seen a photo of the pub. William Partridge was Michael's grandfather he lived in Henage Street and was a barman in later life, but sadly no one knows where he worked it would be lovely to find out. I wonder if he worked at the Duke of Cambridge. He was Alfreds brothers father in law...Hope thats clear..ha ha.

Thanks Lyn I haven't seen a photo of the pub. William Partridge was Michael's grandfather he lived in Henage Street and was a barman in later life, but sadly no one knows where he worked it would be lovely to find out. I wonder if he worked at the Duke of Cambridge. He was Alfreds brothers father in law...Hope thats clear..ha ha.

perfectly unclear to me wend lol....no im only joking. ive got my 4x grandfather in heneage st on the 1841..i was just thinking that there is a very good chance that alfred would have served our dad at the duke and of course the many people who worked at the lucas factory...will get them pics on asap...

lyn

here you go wend...the first one is of the first duke the date taken says 1937 would think it was demolished not long after and the new one built which did not last very long as it was demolished in the late 60s poss early 70s..

2nd duke of cambridge..

These are brilliant Lyn thank you so much. I am going to add them to my tree..x

Last edited by a moderator:
happy to help wend.. i went in duke once or twice wish all these old pubs were still here though... think ive posted the pics somewhere else on the forum but i cant remember where lol

lyn

Last edited:
If you click on the photo I posted twice there are some wonderful things to spot. The 3d on the till darts next to it, I would love to know what the photo's of houses are on the back shelf.

great clarity in the photo wend...plenty of trophys on the shelves and i think i can also make out a key on a chain in that wonderful cash register...

Days out from the Duke of Cambridge, the Landlord ( Uncle Alf is sitting in the centre of the second row back his brother Uncle Jack is on his right as you look at the picture and my Dad , Fred is in front of Uncle Jack.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 11
duke of cambridge photo.jpghello malcolm and welcome to the forum.. hope you dont mind but ive turned your photo the right way round and what a cracking one it is too of alfred bailey and customers..

thanks for sharing it with us

lyn

Hello Malcolm, I Knew the Bailey family. Doreen , Alf & Glady's, daughter, & I were friends right into our teens. Before they went into the pub trade, they lived opposite my mom & Dad's ,fish & chip shop in Farm street. Did your family live there, ? or it may have been Glady's sister.
Jean. Riverside ,California.

Hi, really good to hear from you, thanks for replying. No we didn't live there, we were living in George Street West until 1956 when we moved to Stirchley when I was six. You may have known some of my siblings , there were nine of us, Patricia ( sadly no longer with us ). Valerie, Brenda, Anthony, Anita, Roger, Monica, Jayne and me. Anita and Roger are twins , as are me and Monica. My dad had a big family also. Brothers. Bill, Alf, Jack , Albert , George and Horace and Sisters, Evelyn and Nell. Keep well. Kindest regards and best wishes . Malcolm,.

Thanks Lyn, I have no idea why it appeared upside down , thanks for correcting it for me . Thanks also for adding me,I am very grateful . Kindest regards. Malcolm.

Back