• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Dog and Partridge Nechells

A

angie

Does anyone know the history of the Dog and Partridge,i lived there when i was aged 6 untill the age of 16.
I would like to know when it was built,who was the first landlord,also there was talk of the pub being a courthouse in years gone by. :angel:

dog and partridge pub

hi has anyone got a photo of the dog and partridge pub nechells new or old or even better both lol:)

Here you are Elvis, an old one at least.

phil

Nechells The Dog &-Partridge Ashted Row 1961.jpg

Last edited:
Dog And Partidge

Hi There Elvis ,and Pmc
First Of All Is The Building Still There,
It Was A Nice Looking Boozer ,been There For Years ,
I Used It Once Or Twice In My Life
That Last Time I Recall It ,
It Was Sold Off By The Brewery,and It Was Bought By
Susan, And Liam Occonor, Whom Owns Quite Afew Around Brum Now ,
This Was Afew Years Ago Now When She Had It ,
They Buy All The Run Down Pubs Around Brum ,
Have A Nice Day , Best Wishes Astonian ,;

Dog and Partridge

looking through all our directories I traced the Dog and Partridge back as far 1839 the owner then being E Peters over the years the address of the pub was either 52 Ashtead Row or 186 Windsor Street one year it was 129 the last owner in the directories was Alfred Good man 1950 after than it just mentioned the Dog and Partridge and not the publican it was still there in 1974 our last directory.

Andrew Maxam in his book "Time Gentlemen Please" based on the Mitchells & Butlers Archives describes the Dog & Partridge thus,

Dog & Partridge 51/52 Ashted Row & 128 Windsor St. The pub is still there but Ashted Row is now the dual carriageway Nechells Parkway. The pub still bears the Ashted Row street sign. One of the area’s oldest pubs dating from the late 1700’s.

Phil

dog and partridge

hi i really dont know much about the dog and partridge only that i used to drink in there from 1990s to 1998 and the only thing i know is it wasnt till 1994 that they eventually moved the toilets inside the pub you used to have to go outside the front of the pub and down a little alley to get to the toilets very cold in the winter lol

hi all..heres another pic of dog and partridge...

astoness..

pic courtesy of carl chinn birm lives...

Attachments

• Nechells Ashted Row Dog & Partridge.jpg
    Nechells Ashted Row Dog & Partridge.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 29
It's in Ashted Row, Duddeston/Nechells. I was passing so I thought I would take a picture. I've been in there a few times but that was many years ago. Never known of any problems.

Terry

I more than likely served you. Dads name is Keith :-\
Hi Ang my mom & dad used to drink with Keith & Marge in your pub !
My parents are Jim & Peg they ran the Dillon’s newsagents.
Remember some great days & nights in there as a kid.

Just thinking of the name Dog and Partridge, would the dog have been an English Pointer?

The English Pointer was bred as a partridge hunting dog. I have had two and they are an incredibly athletic, energetic and intelligent dog that does not grow up until they are about 10.

Here is my latest daft pointer.
Pointer-Joe-low-res.jpg

Just thinking of the name Dog and Partridge, would the dog have been an English Pointer?

The English Pointer was bred as a partridge hunting dog. I have had two and they are an incredibly athletic, energetic and intelligent dog that does not grow up until they are about 10.

Here is my latest daft pointer.
View attachment 137124
loverly, i reckon every member on here should show a pic of there k9.if they have one. a k9 post day

I lived at the Dog and Partridge for a while as a child (late 50's early 60's) my father (Stan "Chalkie" White) and mother (Betty) were the Landlord and Landlady. Would love to hear from anyone with memories or pictures of the pub.

The pub is now home to 2 charming families who keep it spotless next to a factory building sold to my church. Woodland opposite is well kept up likewise a little Subway. Completely changed then from 1980s. SuHodsoll

Back