• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cross Pistols, Slaney Street

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
OK, this may be a forlorn request, but you lot never usually let me down…I was reading Eliezer Edwards’ ‘The Old Taverns of Birmingham’, and in his final chapter, he devotes it to a real Tavern oldie, The Cross Pistols in Slaney Street. Now I was fascinated by his description of this hostelry, and just wondered if the wizard mikejee, or any other BHF top order sleuth, might conjure up some idea of where in Slaney Street this was…mike produced a map yonks ago, which I enclose, of Slaney Street for another query on here…..but I wondered if he could pinpoint on it where the Cross Pistols might have been located..?

Clutching at straws a little, I also enclose Tarlington’s painting of Snow Hill showing Galton’s old House where the Lunatics once met, and wondered if that was a pub further down, and if so it’s name?

With thanks for any response….

Attachments

• EE 1.jpg
    EE 1.jpg
    898.8 KB · Views: 20
  • EE2.jpg
    EE2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • Tarlington Galton House.jpg
    Tarlington Galton House.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 22
  • map c 1890 showing approx. position on no 17, the royal Oak.jpg
    map c 1890 showing approx. position on no 17, the royal Oak.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 24
“Near to Railway Passenger Stations” - not exact but until more precise info comes along ..... ! Was a good investment as the Tavern had only changed hands twice in 40 years. Viv.

2DF84010-C780-4CCC-B07D-3BE76DA9E026.jpeg

Edwards’ description sounds like it was behind buildings with the entrance down a court. Unless he’s referring to just the dining room, the building itself appears to be a very thin (6ft wide) long building (21ft)l Sounds very squeezed into the space. Viv.

The Cross Pistols was at No. 86 Slaney Street, the map attached show up to No. 82 (1950) and it appears that the numbering did not change. Just can't work out where No. 86 would be on the 1890 map.

Attachments

• slaney-st-maps.jpg
    slaney-st-maps.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Re post #6, I’d estimate somewhere beneath “..eet” in the label Slaney Street, opposite the gun works. And we know there was a covered entrance/alleyway associated with the Tavern as per Edwards’ description. There are a couple of possible covered alleyways there. Of course, could be completely wrong ! Viv.

Last edited:
Overlaying the 2 maps (No. 82 in red) seems to suggest No. 84 would have been where there is a gap in the row of houses, could that be correct? perhaps it was demolished before 1890.

Attachments

• slaney-st-overlay-maps.jpg
    slaney-st-overlay-maps.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 13
1624190532656.png
Extract from article in post #1, in Kelly's of 1886 Nos. 85 & 86 are occupied by Pilkington Bros (The St. Helens Glass Co.) as mentioned in the article. We need an earlier street map than 1890, does one exist?

There is a public house (presumably The Cross pistols) recorded in the 1861 census at 86 Slaney Street. Publican Samuel Parsons (who presumably bought it when it was sold in 1860). He lived there with his wife Jane, children: Thomas, Polly, Samuel (a brassfounder), Frederick (a brassfounder), 1 lodger and 1 servant. If it is any help in that census 84 and 85 are listed as uninhabited and 87/88 are also listed as uninhabited. I've been having a similar problem with the Slaney Street numbering as I had relatives at number 21 (not court 21) and have been trying to work that out from the later numbering.

By 1871 there is a James Guiks(?) recorded at 86 who was a packer, so it appears that the pub may have closed by this point. The buildings recorded are 82 inhabited, 83 uninhabited then the next listing is 86. After 86 it jumps straight to 88 and 89.

Last edited:
I have examined the evidence. The Ragged School in the 1888 Kellys is between nos 71 & 74. Court 22 on the 1920 electoral rolls is after no 78. As I see it that leaves numbering as that in red on the c1889 map If you look at the buildings behind that no 82 going towards Snow hill, then that would tend to agree with the 1950 map , as the layout is very similar

map c1950 slaney st.jpgmap c1889 slaney st with suggested numbering.jpg

Back