• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cross Keys Steward Street, Ladywood

Hi there. I wonder if anyone has memories of the corkhill family. William h corkhill lived at 55 steward Street. I should think this would have been his local. His first wife my 2nd great grandmother was Emma. She died in 1925 and he then married violet hanks around 1926. My great grandmother was may corkhill emma and Williams daughter.
Katie.
kate i doubt if anyone is still alive to be able to remember william or emma but how long were the corkhills living in steward st for...what year did the family leave the street..

lyn

Well it's more may I want to know about. She was murdered in 1970 in ladywood as far as we were told. She was 51. I'm waiting for her death certificate to confirm the area. But my nan was 31 when she died so she remembered it well as you can imagine. We don't know what went wrong with her but she ended up on drugs and prostitution. Because of her reputation I thought someone may remember it being spoken about in the 70's. She was registered as may webster when she died and my dad was told to call her nanny webster although we know she never married.

quite right kate its always worth asking and as you said its may you are more interested in...what a sad end to her life..dont give up as someone could well remember the incident..

hope you will keep us informed about the death cert as it may give you some answers...

lyn

Yes lyn I definitely will. It's always been spoke about but no one really knew full facts. Hopefully the certificate won't take too long to come. I will come back and let you know what I find. Thankyou for all your help.
Katie

Yes lyn I definitely will. It's always been spoke about but no one really knew full facts. Hopefully the certificate won't take too long to come. I will come back and let you know what I find. Thankyou for all your help.
Katie
yes please do that katie we are always interested in how mysteries turn out...not sure how sure you are that may was murdered and in birmingham but i asked someone to check the online newspaper articles and so far as we can tell it was not reported in the papers which i find most odd

lyn

Back