• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Crooked House at Himley

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was just wondering if its still there BB as i cant quite recall the exact spot it was on..

I wonder what will happen to this building? Escape Rooms? A themed hotel? It still attracted visitors pre-Covid.

Some time years ago a new pipe laying technique was being assessed, and a group from Australia and New Zealand came to site to observe an operational / live demonstration.
One evening I took the group to the Crooked House , they were amazed by the place we had a few pints there and then we we went to Mad O’Rourkes Pie Factory for a meal.
It is a sad loss as it is a unique place

What a shame!! so iconic, a great beacon from my youth, drank a few there in my time, and it was a marvel to behold, someone said it should have gone to the black country museum I agree!!!

I wonder what will happen to this building? Escape Rooms? A themed hotel? It still attracted visitors pre-Covid.
so do i derek...i can only see it being a tourist attraction of some sorts..but what is the question

lyn

so do i derek...i can only see it being a tourist attraction of some sorts..but what is the question

lyn
Lyn,
I don't think it will offer 'a fine dining experience,' but some say that a ghostly maid and children have been seen playing outside... So perhaps haunting could be a money-spinner? I've really no idea, but escape rooms and this sort of thing seem popular at the moment.
Derek

Lyn,
I don't think it will offer 'a fine dining experience,' but some say that a ghostly maid and children have been seen playing outside... So perhaps haunting could be a money-spinner? I've really no idea, but escape rooms and this sort of thing seem popular at the moment.
Derek
yes derek its about all i can think of at the min...cant really see anyone wanting to actually live in it :rolleyes: be interesting to find out..it would have been great at the black country museum and i am far from expert on rebuilding buildings but it struck me that it may prove difficult to take it down brick by brick and rebuild it on the lean..having said that it may be easier..leaves room for mistakes :D :D

lyn

yes derek its about all i can think of at the min...cant really see anyone wanting to actually live in it :rolleyes: be interesting to find out..it would have been great at the black country museum and i am far from expert on rebuilding buildings but it struck me that it may prove difficult to take it down brick by brick and rebuild it on the lean..having said that it may be easier..leaves room for mistakes :D :D

lyn
Lyn, previous discussion suggests the place has been rebuilt time and time again at last exaggerated in its crookedness, so it is far from an original farmhouse with subsidence. But it is one of the Black Country legends so I hope whatever the new owners do they don't ruin the effect. Derek

Lyn, previous discussion suggests the place has been rebuilt time and time again at last exaggerated in its crookedness, so it is far from an original farmhouse with subsidence. But it is one of the Black Country legends so I hope whatever the new owners do they don't ruin the effect. Derek
i agree with you derek...this pub was one of the first pubs i went into (a little under age) and i well remember sitting at the table and behind it was and still is a ledge..we then put a marley on it and watched it roll down :D happy days

lyn

When a lad I was always of the opinion that the "Crooked House" , was at Kimber Edge, near the caves ??
Paul, the pub in Himley used to be called the Glynne Arms. But as lots of people called it The Crooked House the brewers changed the name on the front of the pub. There are rock houses in Kinver, perhaps there was a crooked house there too? Was your crooked house a pub? Derek

Yes Stokkie, all the biker boys would go there first for a few, then to the Hen and chickens on the Wolverhampton Road, the party piece I remember most was rolling a penny uphill !. I've been gone a long time now and its over 60 years ago , so may be wrong!!

Yes Stokkie, all the biker boys would go there first for a few, then to the Hen and chickens on the Wolverhampton Road, the party piece I remember most was rolling a penny uphill !. I've been gone a long time now and its over 60 years ago , so may be wrong!!
Actually, Paul, I've looked at the map and I think you could visit both in about a 20 min ride. The road to the Crooked House twists and turns and has been full of potholes for years, this was one of the reasons the brewery gave for selling the place. I can't see that anyone would want to live there, unless they had a business, so we will see. Last I read of the Hen and Chickens, it was a Chinese restaurant. Derek

Just been looking, I cannot see it as listed. It was originally built as a farm house in 1765 and officially became a public house in 1830, originally being called Siden House( Siden is black country dialect for crooked(out of place)). Think it then became Glynne Arms. Be very sad to see it go.

The site would be unusual for new building of houses. There are the remains of quarries and mines. Historically rubbish has be dumped in pits and more recently there's been fly-tipping. But it isn't a listed building. We will see.

The site would be unusual for new building of houses. There are the remains of quarries and mines. Historically rubbish has be dumped in pits and more recently there's been fly-tipping. But it isn't a listed building. We will see.
will be interesting to try and follow this derek

lyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back