• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Colwyn

Cash

Brummie babby
Hi all

Does anyone remember the Colwyn Pub on Great Colmore Street, Lea Bank.

Does anyone remember the Lea Tavern on Lea Bank Middlway.

It will be interesting to hear from anyone who does.

Thanks for that, I moved into Lee Bank in the late 70’s and enjoyed living there.

Are you also from the area??

Hello Cash , I knew the Colwyn me and a mate used to call in there on a Saturday lunch time for a drink and a couple of games of darts , this was around 1969/70 . The gaffer at the time I remember his name was Jim, I think he and his wife who's name escapes me for the moment came from a theatrical background as there were various pics of stars both well known and not so well known . There was a sign almost ceiling high on the wall that read Le Tour du Monde which translates to around the world . Jim taught me a very good lesson one Saturday while he was serving me , I happened to be tapping a beer mat on the top of the bar , looking at me eye to eye he said "Are your nerves playing you up " I've never tapped the bar since . Cash I'd also like to say tha I found out many years later , that when possibly the Greatest Pub I ever used which was The Paddock Newtown Shopping Centre was closing . The Licensee by the name of Tommy Swords took over the Colwyn , oh how I miss those days

Thanks for the input Dionysius it’s appreciated.

I remember The Paddock but never popped in there.

Pubs I frequented in my earlier days were, The Minerva, The Whitehouse, The Queens, The Lighthouse which were all Hockley and Newtown based.

The Colwyn was my local when I moved to Lee Bank along with the Lee Tavern, The Bell Barn and the Trees. I did fo to the Firebird and the Earl Grey now and again.

I am really interested in anyone who lived in Lee Bank during 1980 and 1990, they were great days.

Thanks for the input Dionysius it’s appreciated.

I remember The Paddock but never popped in there.

Pubs I frequented in my earlier days were, The Minerva, The Whitehouse, The Queens, The Lighthouse which were all Hockley and Newtown based.

The Colwyn was my local when I moved to Lee Bank along with the Lee Tavern, The Bell Barn and the Trees. I did fo to the Firebird and the Earl Grey now and again.

I am really interested in anyone who lived in Lee Bank during 1980 and 1990, they were great days.
also the griffin pub which i think was opposite the paddock...sad to say the minerva and the queens are no longer but the whitehouse is still running ok...you mentioned the lighthouse pub but do you mean the lamplighter on summer lane ? also no longer a pub

lyn

Hi Lyn

In the mid 70’s I lived opposite The Crompton Arms, Crompton Road. Handsworth, it was a Davenports pub which I’d like to see some pics of if you or anyone on this thread may have.

Hi Lyn

In the mid 70’s I lived opposite The Crompton Arms, Crompton Road. Handsworth, it was a Davenports pub which I’d like to see some pics of if you or anyone on this thread may have.
i will post a photo if i have one cash...there is a small thread here for the pub

Thanks for that, I moved into Lee Bank in the late 70’s and enjoyed living there.

Are you also from the area??
No I am not from that area, but have lived in many areas in Birmingham over the years, currently live in Great Barr.

Back