• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Crompton Arms, Handsworth

John Mostyn

Dear All, I've searched and searched for a photo of the old Crompton Arms in Handsworth, important to me for fond memories and to help in a music project that I'm working on flagging up where successful Birmingham artists first performed and both The Beat and Steel Pulse first played in public here. Any help very much appreciated. Thank you.

What a wonderful place, my mate worked there briefly in 1980-1 whilst I was at the Guild Arms in Aston. Dennis who ran the place was a bit naughty and I understood did a runner. One night he left us in the pub, with his son, and we raided the deep freeze and had a mega lock in. I have one photo of that night. We used to see Saxa from the Beat, and guys at school who were in a short lived band called the Mood Elevators used to hang around. I had an e-mail chat with Dave Wakeling from the Beat about the pub, maybe 15 years ago, but can't find the e-mail. I'll upload the picture when I get the chance. Other memories were that bloody dog, Reggae Sunsplash being shown on a screen with Yellowman, the awful night they had a topless barmaid, so the male staff took off their shirts in solidarity.

What a wonderful place, my mate worked there briefly in 1980-1 whilst I was at the Guild Arms in Aston. Dennis who ran the place was a bit naughty and I understood did a runner. One night he left us in the pub, with his son, and we raided the deep freeze and had a mega lock in. I have one photo of that night. We used to see Saxa from the Beat, and guys at school who were in a short lived band called the Mood Elevators used to hang around. I had an e-mail chat with Dave Wakeling from the Beat about the pub, maybe 15 years ago, but can't find the e-mail. I'll upload the picture when I get the chance. Other memories were that bloody dog, Reggae Sunsplash being shown on a screen with Yellowman, the awful night they had a topless barmaid, so the male staff took off their shirts in solidarity.
Hi there. I've just found out that I am related to Dave Wakeling of the Beat! Through Ancestry DNA testing, we have made contact with my grandmother's brother's family (Wakelings)! My father's mother died when dad was 9, in 1939 from peritinitis. His dad remarried and they lost contact with that side of the family. I've never known anything about my grandmother's side of the family. They even have come pictures of her. So exciting!

still searching for a photo of this pub if anyone can help....i take it its been demolished now ?...thanks

lyn

Last edited:
Hi all

The owners or tenants when the Crompton Arms was a Davenports pub during the mid 70’s were Frank and Florence Southall. They had 6 children, Yvonne, Kim, Mark, David, Andrew and Gary.

The pub was a real community hub in those days, I think the bar lady and cleaner was Ethel who was living with Percy.

Good days back then.

Back