• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Clements Arms Upper Trinity St

I thought that it might have been used during the St Patrick's Day celebrations, but if it was closed, probably not.

The last Licencee must have only lasted 2 years!

Hi Brummie Nick
I found this thread quite by accident. I was 'googling' for references to Hoskins and Son and discovered the pictures related to the "Clements". Dad (to the best of my knowledge) didn't 'visit' The Clements Arms but he did work at Hoskins. I recall the factory very well as I spent many hours there at weekends when Dad was working (unpaid) overtime. He was the company Accountant/Auditor.
Old Brummie.

post 11 to 14 will show photos and information about this pub including a list of landlords from 1833...i am so pleased that 4 years ago i popped in to take some inside shots...this photo taken today shows work is ongoing..no idea if its to be re opened as a pub...hope i am wrong but as in these cases with our old pubs i think it most unlikely..

lyn

DIGBETH AREA 2017 012.JPG

Update on the former Clements Arms seen from the Coventry Road in Bordesley. With a new building to the right of it.

thanks ell...no movement then on the pub from the photo i posted in feb post 34..new building was then then

lyn

Wondering whey they didn't use the full land for the new building. Unless it's for a car park or garden?

My first photo update of it in over 4 years.

yes i see what you meant about that little bit of land ell...but you could be right about it being saved for a car park for residents of the new build as it looks like double yellows all around it..

Looking at the photos it appears as though the railway bridge which was on the left might have been demolished. can someone confirm if that line still exists?

OldBrummie.

Many thanks Mikejee. Long time since I (as a youngster) was at Dad's office in Hoskins & Son (Upper Trinity Street) overlooking the line.
It's also a long time since I was last in UK so much has changed for me.
Regards. OldBrummie.

Hi All

I have been reading about the threads on the former Clements Arms and very much interested in your views and opening up the building for use.
My name on this site is ZAR and I own the building, funding its restoration as it was in a terrible internal and external state back in March 2013 when it was sold off. I have known some of the history of the Pub for the 17 last years, prior to its sale it was passing from Pub Manager to another and the previous owners including the Brewery realized that was a loss making cause.

I want to restore the building fully, publicise its history from the 1840s to date for all to enjoy and turn it into a Victorian Tea/ Coffee Shop. Welcome your help and support

Hello Zar, good to see you have found this thread of interest. I have only just read it as I was never old enough to frequent pubs when I lived south of the city had no real interest in them other than their architectural merits.
I notice some of the photos in post 19 by Lyn are missing. I wonder f they can be rescued?
I am sure the thread will be followed with interest as you progress towards your goal.

hello zar and welcome and thanks for joining this forum and even more thanks for saving this wonderful building and hopefully keep some of the original features where possible....the plans you have for sound good to me and when it is finished we certainly do not mind advertising the fact so that anyone wishing to do so can pay you a visit so please keep us informed of developements...i notice that that the photos i posted listing all the previous landlords has been lost...when you took over did you save the framed lanlords names?? i may still have the photos but i would have to check my files

lyn

Last edited:
great phil thanks....will see if i can move them to post 19 later on...looking at them again they really did come out well for a behind glass photo and me behind the camera:D

lyn

Sorry. missed Phils adding them and have added them directly before I saw his post

Hi Nick,

That Hoskins would I guess to have been Hoskins and Sewell the metal bed manufacturers.
I have never been in the Clements but when I worked at R Whites Soft Drinks in the 60s/70s,
we had a rep called Dave Prew who used it regularly, and was always singing its praises.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Nick,

That Hoskins would I guess to have been Hoskins and Sewell the metal bed manufacturers.
I have never been in the Clements but when I worked at R Whites Soft Drinks in the 60s/70s,
we had a rep called Dave Prew who used it regularly, and was always singing its praises.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Dave89
Can I correct you re "Hoskins". There were two companies. Both competing against each other.
Upper Trinity Street was "Hoskins & Sons" where my Dad worked. Then, under the railway bridge and turn right to go into town
and on the left hand side was "Hoskins & Sewell". There may have been a family connection of which I am unaware but Hoskins
& Son was connected to The Chamberlain Family.

OldBrummie.

Hi Old Brummie,

That has surprised me, I guess you could have seen both companies if you stood on the corner of Upper
Trinity Street. Sounds like a family split, doesn't it. Many thanks for the info.

Kind regards
Dave

Hello Zar, good to see you have found this thread of interest. I have only just read it as I was never old enough to frequent pubs when I lived south of the city had no real interest in them other than their architectural merits.
I notice some of the photos in post 19 by Lyn are missing. I wonder f they can be rescued?
I am sure the thread will be followed with interest as you progress towards your goal.

Hi

Sorry for delay in updating you but progress has been very slow in the Pubs restoration because alot of work was spent in external restoration work for the neighbouring property.

However, work will commence in the former Clements Arms in the next couple of weeks, starting from the basement.

Unfortunately, when I acquired the property, it was a total wreck inside and apart from the structure and obsolete equipment nothing left. Work on the first and second floor has been carried out and most of the external work including rebuilding the windows finished.

I am going to be based in the corner shop on Coventry Road and can organise a get together to sound off ideas . I really want to reopen the former Clements Arms as a Tourist Centre so Visitors can see the restored property and learn about Digbeth and its surrounding areas.

Wouldyoube interested?

hello zar and welcome and thanks for joining this forum and even more thanks for saving this wonderful building and hopefully keep some of the original features where possible....the plans you have for sound good to me and when it is finished we certainly do not mind advertising the fact so that anyone wishing to do so can pay you a visit so please keep us informed of developements...i notice that that the photos i posted listing all the previous landlords has been lost...when you took over did you save the framed lanlords names?? i may still have the photos but i would have to check my files

lyn

Hi

Really sorry for delay but didnot see relies.

Alas nothing was left apart from glasses, brewery equipment and old televisions etc.

Want to organise a meeting to bounce off ideas on restoration etc. I am going to be based next door in newbuilt until listed building work completed. Love to open as a Tourist Centre. Would you be interested in coming along?

I was trying to post pictures but cant attach a single picture because been told too big for server?? - clearly missing a way to do this - help?

Anyway just wondering how many would be interested in meeting up next to former Clements Arms - can organise soft drinks and snacks? Zar

John

Delighted to hear from you.

I have read your history threads and there is so much history old and ongoing changes that we need to capture and communicate. Grateful for your support.

I dont have telephone numbers or addresses to discuss suitable dates? However, if a note or letter is posted into letterbox at the Clements Arms , 30 Coventry Road , B10 0RX I will respond or alternatively to 34 Coventry Road , B10 0RX - this is the addtess we can meet up at.

Thank you

Zar

Hi Dave89
Can I correct you re "Hoskins". There were two companies. Both competing against each other.
Upper Trinity Street was "Hoskins & Sons" where my Dad worked. Then, under the railway bridge and turn right to go into town
and on the left hand side was "Hoskins & Sewell". There may have been a family connection of which I am unaware but Hoskins
& Son was connected to The Chamberlain Family.

OldBrummie.
Hi old brummie, I worked at Hoskins & Son in 1976/1977. What was your dads name ?

Hi old brummie, I worked at Hoskins & Son in 1976/1977. What was your dads name ?

Hi Steve. Dad was company accountant, name Cyril Leatham Platt. I don't remember dates but he was 'head-hunted' and later moved a couple of streets away to "Delta Wire".
I remember Hoskins quite well as Dad often worked 'on the books' (accounts) at weekends when it was quiet and he took myself and my brother with him and we had the run of almost all the factory for a couple of hours or so. There was rarely another soul working at that time on weekends. Dad also had some sort of connection to the Hoskins family but that bit of the story is beyond me. Pete.

Back