• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Clangers

They certainly did whistle Dennis but the scripts were written in dialogue and included swear words. The Beeb eventually agreed to them being left in as the swear words were whistled!! Not that I'd necessarily recognise a swear word if whistled. Will run a trial with the family! Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Incredible...the things you find out on here...wiki spakes thus..

Swearing
The non-worded but scored script seemed to allow the Clangers to say almost anything, including swear words in the basic script. As part of the production, Smallfilms had to send the scripts to the BBC, and on reading the script for episode three they asked Postgate to remove some "Clanger-speak", explaining that, although whistled, "you can’t say that on children’s television [...] you just can’t". At the opening of the episode, before a rocket shoots down the Iron Chicken, Major Clanger kicks a door to make it work, and his first words are "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again". Postgate replied that viewers wouldn't recognize what was said, but the BBC replied "But people will know!" The offending Clanger-talk remained in the episode, and after the series became a commercial success, and the Golden Bear Company became responsible for merchandising, the Clanger-talk used for the talking-squeezable model was this phrase.

My deepest apologies Viv...I will try and make up for it...

Come on Dennis none of that ********** swistling under your breath (I made that word up!). I don't even like the programme but will try some 'swistling' when I'm sweating over the stove tonight. Be interesting to see if anyone understands. Talking of which I went through a long phase of whistling when I was about 10. Very ladylike, as my mum would say. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back