• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The chimney sweep

Indeed, Bernard, many old houses had straight chimney flues. I lived, for a short while after marriage, at my in-laws cottage. The cottage had a straight chimneys - you could look up it a see daylight (or stars
m055.gif
).

It seems most modern properties are no longer built with a chimney! During the three day week, of the early nineteen seventies, the family kept warm from coal fires when those reliant on electricity could not. Admittedly space heaters - usually bottled gas operated - were available but I attended too many fires due to them to want any in my home. They also created a lot of condensation and ventilation was vital.

An open fire also allowed you to boil kettles of water and cook when the gas was advised not to be used. They did not cut off the gas supply but everyone was advised not to use it.

Sorry Alan , I have had to delete this post and your previous one as they are not at all relevant to the heading 'The Chimney Sweep'

Last edited by a moderator:
We regularly had the chimney swept as my mother was terrified of fire, our sweep was Mr. Grey who lived in Barton Street, Aston, I used to have to go his house to book him. As others have posted it was a real upheaval moving furniture and covering it, then when he finished the great clean up. We had it done at least once a year, maybe more.

t. Our chimney caught fire in 1950s I remember the fire brigade had to come. I seem to remember you could be fined if you didn't have yours swept and I was reading recently that your house insurance could be void if you don't have it swept. Not so messy now though. Anne

Anne,

It is not an offence not to have your chimney swept. The offence is allowing your chimney to catch fire which I suppose is the same thing really. I certainly imagine that an insurance company would have an excuse not to pay out if a chimney fire spread and damaged the property and/or contents

Old Boy

Hello Old Boy, the only way to find out if you hadn't had your chimney swept was when it caught fire, the fire brigade came and you were in trouble. I saw one sweep recently who gives a certificate to prove he's been. As you say an insurance company would use it as an excuse. especially if they put water down the chimney to put it out as happened to a friend of mine in Wales recently. She only moved in this year and previous occupants obviously had not had it swept or perhaps a bird had nested, which sometimes happens. Can't be too careful. Anne

Back