• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Chapel at Handsworth Cemetery

Hughes

master brummie
For over 12 months I have been trying to look inside the Chapel researching an Ancestor George Harold Faragher a soldier who died in 1919
I keep being told it is not ready to open.A vast amount has been spent on repairs but it is not open to the public.Just what is going on
Regards
J Hughes

If you are having no luck with the staff at Handsworth cemetery - who used to be quite friendly - try contacting Bereavement Services in Manor House (Office building next to Market Car park by St Martins)- asking nicely to be allowed in for a brief moment to look/photograph, etc. I'm sure they will allow it under supervision of Handsworth staff or the Contractors.
The Head used to be Mrs Bev Nash 0121 303 0201.

Brian

Brian many thanks for your sugestion .I have no complaints about the Handsworth staff.they have replied to my E mails and i have met them face to facebut the bottom line
is work is still going on inside the chapel and I will not be allowed in.I note some £700,000 was allocated for repairs
Cheers
J H

Handsworth chapel was 'out of bound' many years ago, when the steeple started crumbling - it's about time the work was completed. It would still be worth while asking - when the work is likely to be completed and/or would it be possible for a short visit under supervision of the site foreman to see the memorial inside.
Brian

Back