• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Cadbury Family

Interestingly (to me anyway), John and his brother Benjamin married cousins, who were both named Candia.
Hello MWS, The Cadbury's are intersting to me also because John and therefore his sons George and Rchard are my cousins, John is a 5th cousin and sons George and Richard are 6th cousins. Distant but I'll take it, just wish I had a few shares in the family business. You can pay me in chocolate. Phil

Last edited:
Richard and George Cadbury (John's sons) have blue plaques. They took over John's ailing business and created the brand we know. They are the ones who built Bournville.
Is this why they have plaques but John doesn't?

Richard and George Cadbury (John's sons) have blue plaques. They took over John's ailing business and created the brand we know. They are the ones who built Bournville.
Is this why they have plaques but John doesn't?
Hi Janice, if it wasn't for John Cadbury and his shop at 93 Bull Street there wouldn't be a business for his sons to inherit. Then where would we be? We would have to put up with all other inferior brands of chocolate. John's shop was known for Tea, Coffee and Cocoa, he introduced drinking chocolate to the masses. Just because his sons have plagues on the houses where they lived doesn’t mean John should not have one on the building where the story of Cadbury Chocolate started, or close to it. The attached shows the addresses of various family members in the 1867 Post Office directory.1867 P.O. Directory.jpg

I didn't say he shouldn't have a plaque I was merely offering a possibe reason why. :rolleyes:
thanks jan i understood what you meant
I apologise if I offended anyone, :( it’s all meant to be a bit light hearted and not to be taken too seriously. :) In the meantime, I sent an email to the Birmingham Civic Society who seem to be the ones responsible for Blue Plaques in our City, to ask if there is a plague for John Cadbury somewhere else. I said if there isn’t one can I propose we should have one in Bull Street, accompanied with a marked up photo as in previous post #20. Awaiting a reply!
PhilJohn Cadburys Shop Bull Street.jpg

Last edited:
No offence taken
Did you check the link in post #33 regarding changes to the blue plaque scheme?

No offence taken
Did you check the link in post #33 regarding changes to the blue plaque scheme?
Hi Janice I did check the website as you suggested and to quote directly from there ...."In 1998 English Heritage initiated a trial national scheme which saw 34 plaques installed in Birmingham, Merseyside, Southampton and Portsmouth. The scheme was discontinued in 2005."
Phil

I was thinking more of the fact that this summer people will be able to nominate local people to be added.

Today I received a reply from the Birmingham Civic Society about my proposal for a Blue Plaque for John Cadbury and the Blue Plaque Coordinator at BCS has agreed to present it to the Society's Heritage Committee for approval. The down side is it could take a long time before one is put in place.

Not publically accessible, but in future might be accessible to small groups. Interesting

I think that is probably as good a spot as can be estimated.
Hi Mike, just out of interest can you pin-point 93 Bull Street please? I've found this 1840 ish street map while looking for "The Friends Meeting House" where some of the Cadbury family members were buried but there's no numbers on the properties. Incidentally John Cadbury’s father was buried in the grounds of this meeting house. The present newer ‘Priory Rooms Meeting and Conference Centre’ is built on the old meeting house grounds.

Bull St - Meeting House.jpg

Many of the older roads in the town were originally numbered consecutively like this, where there was numbering, though many were later renumbered , largely in the early 1880s

Hi Mike, so are you saying your 1950 street map could be numbered differently in John Cadbury's time, mid 1800's?

No. That comment was just meant following your surprise. I was pointing out that originally many/most streets would have ha either no numbering or consecutive numbering. In cases like this ( pre 1890) always check to see if there has been any sign of renumbering, and , whilst I cannot be absolutely certain that site numbers might have wandered slightly (sometimes houses were not numbered on the outside and the person who listed the property in the directory might have emad e a slight error), I am pretty certain that in general numbering in bull St has not altered over this period

I see, thanks again for pinning numbr 93 and for imparting your knowledge. I always know your accuracy is second to none.
Here's a mock-up of where the Cadbury shop started and later showing the expansion of the Barrow Stores.
The placement of a Blue Plaque would be appropriate somewhere near here....

Cadbury-Barrow 1824 - 2024 .jpg

Last edited:
Hi Geoff, great photo. John Cadbury opened his first grocer shop at 93 Bull Street in 1824, selling Tea, Coffee and Cocoa. Next door, at 92 Bull Street, John’s father, Richard Tapper Cadbury, had already established a Draper’s business.
In 1847, John’s brother, Benjamin Head Cadbury who had taken over 92 Bull Street, became a partner and the company became known as "Cadbury Brothers".
John’s sons, Richard and George joined the business later and they concentrated on the Chocolate side. They went on to build the famous Bournville estate and opened the Bournville factory in 1879.
John’s nephew, Richard Cadbury Barrow son to John’s sister Sarah Cadbury, wife of John Barrow, took over the grocery business at 42 Bull Street. Barrow’s Stores was registered in 1849. The Barrow name was also the name of John Cadbury’s wife Candia Barrow who was sister to John Barrow. "Barrow’s Stores" occupied the premises at 92 and 93 Bull Street, also 74, 76, 78 Corporation Street, they ceased trading in 1964.
The street map below dates to around 1876 showing the proposed route of Corporation Street.

1876 Corporation St proposal.jpg

Last edited:
Back