• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Brown Jug Unett Street Newtown

LOZELLIAN

master brummie
Hi all,

How many of you guys out there remember this pub from the late 1960's to the mid 1970's Vic was the gaffa & I think the missus was call Eileen / Irene? Chief barmaid was called Bev (she wore glasses & had a big beehive hairstyle). Remember particularly dart players "Little John Hardeman, son Richard & Mick O'leary (123 as the song went) also little Dave others included Mick, Rodders, Evs, Bugsy, Gordon to mention just a few of the regulars.

Lozellian.

remember it well..we moved from villa st to uxbridge st in 72 which is round the corner from the jug mom and dad was in that house for over 40 years...building there but no longer a pub

lyn

Yes I remember it well. Paul Evans (Evs) and Tony Murray (Bugsy) were my mates.

Last edited:
Yes I remember it well. Paul Evans (Evs) and Tony Murray (Bugsy) were my mates.

Hi Mayfield,

Did you ever go to any of the other locals: The Lord Clifden, The White House or The Woodman as Bugsy, Me, Evs & Mick were always in one or the other on a mini crawl starting at the Jug before heading into Brum; where we'd head for Samanthas, Top Ten Bar, The Alhambra etc. Occasionally we'd go tenpin bowling by the Silver Blades Ice Rink.

Tight Lines Mate!!

Lozellian.

here is another one folks..at a guess taken early to mid 70s looking at the style of trousers of man sitting down

lyn

DSCF1047.jpg

Last edited:
Bring back Flares, miss the whooshing of the legs !
Cheers Tim

I bought a pair of flared blue velvet trousers in the 1970’s in Oasis and found it difficult to walk in the gusty wind whistling around Lloyd House. I almost took off – good job I didn’t as I wouldn’t have landed until I’d reached Scandinavia.

Hi Mayfield,

Did you ever go to any of the other locals: The Lord Clifden, The White House or The Woodman as Bugsy, Me, Evs & Mick were always in one or the other on a mini crawl starting at the Jug before heading into Brum; where we'd head for Samanthas, Top Ten Bar, The Alhambra etc. Occasionally we'd go tenpin bowling by the Silver Blades Ice Rink.

Tight Lines Mate!!

Lozellian.

I remember being in the Woodman watching England on the television getting beat by West Germany in the 1970 World Cup in Mexico......... I kicked every dustbin on the way home that night mate

We were in several leagues at Silver Blades.

Hi G G Jean,

I have to admit we were never that good, we just went for the enjoyment of it, not that we weren't competitive with each other; we were. It was just good to get together as mates and have a laugh over a beer or two.

Lozellian.

Hi Lozellian when I was in my teens I used to go watch the bowling at Fairlanes but was in my forties when I took it up competitively. In fact I was roped in when a team was short one night. I then became hooked or bowled over maybe. Used to have fun too.

Hi Lozellian when I was in my teens I used to go watch the bowling at Fairlanes but was in my forties when I took it up competitively. In fact I was roped in when a team was short one night. I then became hooked or bowled over maybe. Used to have fun too.

Hi G G Jean,

I don't blame you one little bit, it's brilliant that you've got an interest / hobby that gives you pleasure & satisfaction.

I'm afraid I fell by the wayside many years ago when my Father-in -Law (god bless him) introduced me to home brewing and I've been doing it ever since (40 years plus).

Lozellian.

Back