• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Breedon Bar

HATELEY

master brummie
Anybody got pictures of The Breedon Bar which in the late eighties (when Bob Moore was in charge) was considered one of the top music bars in the UK

ive got found these...hope its the right breedon bar...

Attachments

• bbar[1].jpg
    bbar[1].jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Cotteridge Breedon Cross.jpg
    Cotteridge Breedon Cross.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 14
If I may butt in, I had been searching P.J.Norton's pics without sucess but that is the Breedon Bar formerly called the Breedon Cross Hotel, so you have the right venue Lyn. Breedon bar is at the top of Breedon Hill on the corner of Pershore Road and Lifford Lane. It situated on the boundary of Stirchley Village and Cotteridge.It probably got the name "Cross" as the road crosses the Birmingham - Worcester canal there.As shown in your pis it was boarded up and was burnt down in the mid 90's. Now an upmarket development of flats.

The area where the Breedon Cross Hotel/Breedon Bar is located was quite close to where some of my distant ancestors lived. In the mid to late 1800s James Baldwin, a paper manufacturer, in 1851/1861 James at lived Breedon House, Kings Norton. Sherborne Mill is a short distance away from the house, was where the business operated. The family were still there in 1871 but after James died the house passed to his son James who resided there in 1881 & 1891. No trace of the house in 1901.

Kelly’s Directory for Worcestershire 1892, lists James Baldwin, Breedon House, Kings Norton, Magistrate.This is James above who died in 1894 but there is another entry for the Worcester Yeomanry Cavalry, (Queens own Worcestershire Hussars Volunteers), Capt. J Baldwin.
This is followed in the 1896 Directory, as above but Capt. J Baldwin, Commanding Officer, C Squad. I think this refers to James Baldwin, son of Joseph, this James was still single in 1901, living at the address where he had been with his parents in Lifford Lane, a short distance from Breedon House & the Mill.
The 1901 census shows James as a Paper Maker & Justice of the Peace.

Clarkie

Hi, I have just joined I have an Interest in James Baldwin
In the 1871 census James Baldwin was shown living at Breedon House aged 71 head of family, ( Farmer, landowner of 50 acres Paper Maker employer of 9 men, I boy, 1 woman )

wife Mary aged 54 with Grandson James Baldwin aged 13. Later that year James Baldwin senior died and was buried on 16/12/1871 in a local church yard
I own a large framed studio Photograph of a James Baldwin taken at the Hudson & Co Arcade Studios Birmingham.
Obviously a prosperous man I am trying to Identify this James Baldwin and suspect he may be related to the Paper Mill family of Baldwins

colmint

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Colmint,
If you have any idea of a date I might have some information in my notes, there was more than one James Baldwin around through the generations around this time. Alternatively send me a PM and I will send what I have.

Clarkie

Hi there just a thought is baldwin road off lifford lane named after the paper mill owner james baldwin ?

There is a mention of a Breedon Cross/Breedon bar with the pic below in post #137
vv~1.jpeg

Tommy,
Almost sure to be I guess seeing as how James Baldwin Paper Maker & Farmer, was also a Birmingham City Councillor & Lord Mayor of Birmingham 1853.

Clarkie

Back