• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Blitz

I think these two photos speak out loud
The last one shows two firefighters being treated for their wounds and a women member of the AFS being treated to remove glass from her eye's

All through the Blitz and the Blackout people still managed to smile, laugh and sing as it did not matter about tomorrow, it was now they thought about and getting through it with British grit and determination
They would think about tomorrow when the war was won, losing the war never even entered their minds
Cartoon that was in Punch Magazine 1940

Mr Hitler dropped a couple of incendiary bombs at our house 20 Booth street Handsworth we were out at the time next move South Milford evacuees

John this is the terrifying effects of incendiary bombs which where caught on camera as they dropped in the streets, rare photo as I have never seen one before, imagine those coming through the roof and burning away and all you had to try and put it out was a bucket of sand (which only got one with a good aim ) or if you had a stirrup pump and you got lucky otherwise you lost your house because while all this was happening the poor folks were in their shelters relying on the ARP and Home Guard to protect their homes as they braved the firestorms as they came raining down

Last edited by a moderator:
Cromwell, I know there was strict censorship on where bombs were dropped during the war, but have you any knowledge of a bombing in Avenue Road, Aston. My dad told me that he went to help there and quite a lot of people were killed, I believe mainly one family who had been at a wedding. I was only young when he told me and haven't any more details.

Sylvia, The church had three hits but the houses in Avenue Rd escaped any major damage, the map shows just the houses from Aston Rd to the canal as there were no more houses further up towards the gas works. In Altons book Brum at War there is a picture of an Anderson shelter that is in the middle of Avenue Rd, it got a direct hit and was blown over the houses into the road
The Wedding party you are refering to might have been in the church hall or the house opposite
(my In- Laws lived a few doors away and thats were my wife was born)
Photo
Our Playground

Similar to Sylvia, I remember my Mother telling me about a bomb killing a lot of
people in Johnson Street or Road during the war. Also, there were a few deaths in the Goosemoor Lane, Erdington area. Can you please confirm this Cromwell. Thanks.

Jennyann, Out of luck as my map just covers town and Nechells does not cover the streets, places you name

Today its very hard to imagine driving in the Blackout during the first few dark years of the war, hoping you could just about see the tail light of the lorry in front of you.
Think what it would be like for the train driver? It would be like shutting your eyes and running blindly. nothing but the dark on either side of the train and in front.
For the driver all landmarks vanished but he still had to know what station he had passed and was coming to, know when to lower his speed and when to stop, no longer able to see his friendly fire as he was covered in his cab by a tarpaulin sheet to stop it from being seeing by enemy aircraft.
When one railway engine driver was asked how he knew were he was he answered "It don't worry me much as I drive by ear, I know where I am by the sound of the country, the different noises made by the stations and bridges and every bridge between London and Birmingham is different". The driver of a train is like the captain of a ship, but is more alone and has the same responsibilities for human life, his machine and the same concern for his timetable and the desire to get home.
All through the war their was a shortage of Drivers and firemen and to understand why you just had to ask an engine drivers wife, and then she would let you have it
He can just have finished a 10-14 hour day or night shift and he will still volunteer to take another train out not knowing if he will come home or not. He might be driving from a town that is being bombed where they have just left their families in Anderson shelters or heading towards a town which is copping it hoping that the line had not been hit or a bridge was down while heading into the fan-like inferno while in their half minds they knew their wives or families were waiting for their safe return.
Their reserve, their sense that they were no different from others doing the same vital job, was their strength
Water was vital for Birmingham during the blitz and studying the maps of where the bombs landed it is quite easily to pinpoint the bridges that were hit and trace were the Elan Aqueduct ran down Meriden Street crossing Bordesley Street and into New Canal Street.
Bordesley Railway Stations entrance is directly under the bridge at the start of the Coventry road (as you are leaving town) and runs along the side of Bedford Road.
Nearly opposite to the entrance to the station to the right of the bridge is Upper Trinity Street were today you can still see the faded paintwork of the Cattle Station painted on the wall, the Goods Sheds were halfway up the road and this is were the lines changed and split. At Bordesley Junction a young G.W.R. engine cleaner saved the wagons from a blazing railway shed in one of the raids. The warning sounded at 9.50 p.m. on the night of August 26th, 1940, and shunting operations were suspended. It was soon evident that the railway buildings and the wagons alongside were in danger from a hail of incendiaries, and this eighteen-year-old cleaner, who had less than two years service, went outside and began dealing with the bombs, using his hands and feet to cover them with dirt and sand. He was still tackling the incendiaries when he was approached by an examiner and the depot master's clerk.
"Can you drive a locomotive?" they asked. He told them he could. "Right", they said, "We want someone to take engine 7758 alongside the goods shed and get the wagons clear". "What about it?" Without hesitation, the lad volunteered, although by this time the shed was ablaze from end to end and bombs were still falling. Four times he made the journey, with the examiner acting as shunter, and each time he succeeded in drawing a number of wagons to safety. On his first journey he was accompanied on the footplate by the depot masters clerk, but on the remaining trips he went alone. The engine footplate on the offside was too hot for him to touch, but he carried on until the wagons on all three roads next to the shed were clear of the fire. "But for his action", said the official report, "it would not have been possible to save the wagons from destruction". Flicking over the pages of these official records, you get a series of lightning impressions of the battle that was fought against high explosives and incendiaries in every blitzed station and goods depot throughout the country. You read of the two shunter's saving a fitting shop from destruction by tackling the flames with buckets of water and rubbing handfuls of sand into the burning woodwork. In the record of the same raid, there is the story of the woman telephone operator at the main railway exchange, who refused to leave her post though the windows had been blown out and the building was rocked by a series of explosions from bombs which were bursting within 30 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone know if the maps that show the bomb sites in Birmingham can be purchased and if so from where ? :)

This information would be an interesting extra to add to my family tree history as I believe that some relatives were bombed out early in the war and think they may have lived in Prescott street, then moved to Kings Road and then to Fentham (?) Road

this site has been a real eye-opener and shows the determination of the people of Britain to continue living regardless of what was happening to their country. The photographs are amazing and show that we have a lot to be thankful for.

They were truely remarkable people. :smitten:

Autumnfairy,
Your best bet is militaria fairs as it supprising what you can pick up relating to the blitz.
Below are a few more railway photo's before I go off the rails and back on the streets

The Map shown below is were the bombs fell on the night of the 19th Nov.1940 the BSA got hit which killed 50 workers
The warning sirens started at 18.50 hours and the all clear sounded the following morning at 04.29 hours
Total casualties that night were 1500 killed and injured
I have the map for that night this is just a small section

With Sheer Stubborn Determination they still got to work if they could, even if "Work" was no longer there

This Shows a Heinkel bomber which was captured by the RAF and put on public display on the Colonnade of the Hall of Memory Easy Row Broad Street in aid of the Spitfire fund but the kids are more intrested in a bomb crater

A car showroom that was in Hill Street Birmingham collapsed just after this photo was taken
Bottom Photo shows firemen searching for victims in the rubble of John Bright Street

One of the Dornier bombers that was bought down by the cables of a barrage balloon

Doing a great job getting water and char (tea) to the people who had been bombed out of their homes
or if they had to have the gas or water supply cut off
Bottom photo is and intresting photo of two women ARP Wardens taking part in a First Aid Competition
at Loxton Street School

Here is a nice Fire Watcher Badge
PS
Postings will carry on as soon as I have dealt with the War Hospitals and Posters and other stuff, so stick with it O0

CROMWELL, I have just seen your post of the 7th Sept with the picture of the shot down HEINKEL. I remember being taken as a very young boy to the Big Top site in the City to see an exhibition of war time arms, ie a Spitfire, Mini two man sub & that HEINKEL,(which we were allowed to sit in,) it was as a youngster great to be able to sit in the cockpit of a Spitfire.
Can any one else remember that show & the actual date?

Aston Regarding photo's there is a stack of them in Birmingham at War of the War exhibits

How the people of the Blitz were fed as the situation got worse when factories with their canteens were bombed and people became homeless, as well as whole streets, were without gas water and electic when land mines and H.E Bombs  hit the main supplys

As young as I was at that time, I can remember sitting with my Dad in the chicken coop which had a tin roof & hearing shrapnel raining down, as well as  strips of silver foil that the planes drooped when over our new house in Ward End. We sat in that chicken pen in order to get some fresh air as our shelter housed two family's at the time of an air raid,my Dad had made it that way so our next door family had some were to go in a raid.He made an entrance in both ours & next doors garden when he built the Anderson shelter under the garage.
The silver foil I can remember we collected and made Christmas docorations . My Dad told  me later that this foil was to deflect the radar beams. was that true?
The houses at the back of Moss Vale Grove were we lived had a stick of bombs dropped on them one night they were only built in 1938 & gone by  the end 44,it was just luck that night jerry mist our home.
My Memories of the Bliz
ASTON

ASTON, Wonderful memories of such terrible times, watch out for the next lot of pic's I post here showing the kids.and how they coped
You are right about the foil as we had the best radar in the World which helped us win the Battle of Britain as we knew they were coming and could scramble our "Our angels from Hell" the Spitfires
Germans use to drop foil before and during the bombing runs on our towns and cities

CROMWELL Just another memory of that time, my Nan & Grandad who lived in Tower Road ASTON had a lucky escape as they were staying with us in Ward End on the night the bombs fell on the HP Sauce vinegar vats & there home  ( my birth place) which was totally raised to the ground.
As Grandad & my Father were looking out over Birmingham from there vantage point in Ward End at the bombing going on & its said my Grandad stated "some one getting it to night" little did he know he was homeless on that night.
More of my memories of the Blitz
ASTON

Aston how sad for your grandparents losing their home like this - I am sure like many many others!!

My Grandparents and parents have spoken about the war years with stories similar to your own etc.. But to be honest these pictures speak so much louder than any stories can tell us!!
Through doing my own family research and seeing the addresses on censuses and certificates (BMD's) I see addresses of places like I see posted on here in photo's and I can't believe our famillies lived through such tough times!! It's a real eye opener to see the photo's as I couldn't imagine this happening from a story - this stuff kind of makes me realise how strong and determined people were back then!!

Thank you for sharing these memories and photo's :)

Di my Mom had one of those big masks that you would put your baby in and pump air in to it manually, she was so frightend if any thing should happen to her then I would die, so she changed it for the one you posted.
They have one of the big baby masks at the Think Tank & the Cannock Mining museum.
The one you posted we used to call my MICKEY MOUSE MASK just to get me to put it on.
Not on topic but as I have just remembered. My Mom used to draw a face of "Adolf. H" on my boiled egg just so I could smash him with my spoon then eat him up.
ASTON

Back