• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the aston hotel

brummie60

master brummie
does anyone know of the history of the aston hotel, witton island,a superb looking building.Ive been told there used to be a pub on vicarage road, aston before the area was redeveloped, does anyone have any photos or information about it, thanks, steve

There is a thread on the site with a photo of the Vicarage road pub on with one of the Wooten window cleaners vans parked outside. I will have a trawl and see if I can come up with it. Jean.

In the 1920s a pub to be proud of. Looking less like a pub now, possibly office space ? In the 1920s it didn’t have a shield crest above the entrance just a large sign announcing “Aston Hotel”. At least it’s still standing.

Viv

View attachment 173255
View attachment 173253
It's temporary supported accommodation now.

It has 37 beds, 10 of which en-suite units and 27 units with shared toilet and bathroom facilities. Residents have a communal lounge/dining area with a communal kitchen. There is also a games area which includes television, football table and pool table. Residents are provided with 2 cooked meals a day, breakfast and dinner, 7 days a week. Support workers are based there to support tenants in their journey towards independent living.

I believe in the long distant past, teams that were playing Villa, used to have their players stay there before games at Villa Park. It's a little different there now.

Back