• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Angel Pub

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
CAN Any-body Recall The Angell Pub On Stratford Rd ,Does It Still Stand ,
I Know It Was Abit Of A Rough Dive In The Last Few Years,
And It Was Used By The Irish Workers For Pick Up Work By The Gangers ,
Looking For Workers Building The Nec Centre In The Sixties ,Before That It Was A Quaint Little Pub , Then In The Latter Part Of Years It Became A Flea Pit , Can Any body Tell Me When It Was FirstRegistered As A Licence Inn
Doe,s Any body Have Memories Of The Place , I Used To Go With My Inlaw
To Pick Up The Lads FromThere And Take ThemOut To The NEC .
When It Was Time To Pick ThemUp And Bring Them Back, Some Would Be Dropped Of There And Some Would Be Dropped Off At Braithwaite Rd
And The Remainers Would Be Dropped Off The Golden Gloves Club,
It Was AN Old Church Converted And The Bars Would Be High And You Could Not See Your Drink Being Poured FromAn Ennamel Bucket Below The Counter
These Guys Would Sub There Wages For 25 Quid A DAY From The Gang Master They Was Hard Drinkers And Hard Workers And They Lived In Around Stratford Rd And Braithwaith Rd Spark brook , ASTONIAN

Astonian,

The Angel was a favourite with my dad's family, the Bradley's. Along with the Red Lion Ladypool Rd.
Here is a photo I saved bacause it was one of their regular 'haunts'.

Ann

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Angel Hotel x.jpg
    Sparkbrook Stratford Rd Angel Hotel x.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 30
HI ANN
Many Thanks ForThe Cracking Pictures, What Year Ann Was The Family Picture
Taken ,The Name Bradley Rings A Bell With Me My Relation An Irish Guy In FactMy
Brother inlaw Big Frankie Brown ,Used To Pick Up ThE Lads For There Shift At
The Nec, When They Started Building It
Once Again Thanks For The Pics Best Wishes ASTONIAN

Hi Astonian, it would be easier to tell us the pubs you haven't been in or worked in! Great memories as usual. Some of us have pics but you bring the pub to life.

I only went in once about 10 years ago on a lunchtime. Not many in and I wasn't tempted back, its glory days had long gone I feel. It looks like a very old pub, Georgian perhaps. I don't know whether its still open or has a preservation order but when I last photographed it in 2004 it was boarded up.

Couple of pics, 1 open 1 when closed.

Bob

Attachments

• Sparkbrook The Angel Hotel.jpg
    Sparkbrook The Angel Hotel.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Angel InnHotel   Stratford Road. 1100 x 348[1].jpg
    Angel InnHotel Stratford Road. 1100 x 348[1].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 15
Astonian,

The photo would have been in the 1940's, probably mid 40's. The brothers, like their dad, all worked at the B.S.A. Armoury Rd. My dad was born in White Rd. Sparkbrook.
Photos of my dad and his family in The Red Lion Ladypool Rd. are going to be in Carl's Brummagem Mag in the September issue.

Bob, From the look of the last pic, The Angel's gone then.

Ann

Coming from a Sparkbrook family (on my fathers side) I remember the Angel well. Although it was never a pub that I used regularly I did have the occasional jar in there.

We lived in Larches St which is quite close, some of us at the top end the rest were more central, so the Talbot was our local, but when the Talbot closed in the seventies the older half of the family became regulars in the Angel, whilst us younger ones moved up to the Hereford in Kyrwicks Lane.

Although it had a bit of a bad reputation during the sixties it seemed to calm down in later years, by the time it closed down there was only the one uncle still drinking there, every one else had moved out of the district or sadly died.

Phil

This snap is from virtual earth, and I would say that, when this was taken, the Angel building was still there. My house as shown on the site is about 1 year ago, but that's not brum area

mike

The_angel_2007.jpg

The Angel might still be there then Mike. I'll have to come back from town that way next look and take a look.
Astonian,
Apparently, from Virtual Brum, the Angel dates from at least 1830 and was originally right on the edge of Birmingham by a tollgate.

Ann

I went past the Angel about a month ago and it was still standing, boarded up - a sorry sight.
It is not only a landmark, it's quite a historic place and has a rich history. How long till the vandals 'accidentally' knock it down or set fire to it? Then the developers can take over, as in so many other places.
Peter

Peter,

As happened recently with The Wagon and Horses Sheldon, which was about the only interesting building on the run into Birmingham from the N.E.C.
And the Ring O' Bells etc.

Ann

The burnt out Wagon has now gone and is, as we speak, being replaced by a huge cow shed. Well that's what it looks like at the moment.
Wonder if they need a new Aldi by the Angel?

Ann

Ann

They already have an Aldi on the corner of Stoney Lane, they have no shortage of sites. They could use the site of the burnt out Vic on the corner to the Angel on Long St, that and the defunct Christ Church school next door would be a prime site.

Phil

SparkbrookStratfordRdTheVictoria.jpg

Thanks for the photo Phil. Another sad site. But, I suppose, if no one uses them. The Wagon and Horses Sheldon started to decline when it was no longer a Berni. Changed hands a few times, but it was never as popular again. Once a pub loses its popularity, it doesn't seem to make much difference how many 'refits' they do.
Are there many of the old pubs that are still doing o.k.?

Ann

peter. i could not agree with you more. theres a pub down aston thats been empty prob for a couple of years (wont say which one) my brother is always taking pic of pubs due for the scrapheap and on one of his missions he noticed all the back was open so he went in. to his amazement he found that someone had and to his knowledge is still kipping in there and that the pub still had the electrics still on and still has the old outside mens cast iron urinals intact. i like many of you get so upset and angry that what is our history is treated in this way and replaced by modern buildings that very often serve no purpose. glad i got that off me chest. wales.

Ann

I don't think any of the pubs in that little area bounded by Stratford Rd, Moseley Rd, Camp Hill and Highgate Rd are making any fortunes at the moment.

When you think of all the pubs that have gone from that little square, The Railway, The Cottage, The Stratford, The Belgrave,The Plough, The Junction, The Turners and of course my favourite The Talbot. It gives you pause for thought, at one time these pubs were full nearly every night. Now the few that are left can hardly make a living.

As I no longer live in the area, I can only guess how the surviving few are doing. I think the Black Horse, The Shakespeare and The Rose are getting by. The Brewers and The Queens I think are curry houses. The Highgate is another one of these pubs that has changed its name, so I suppose that will close soon.

The only one I think that still does a reasonable trade is The Hereford, but there again I haven't been in there for a few years so that may have changed.

I suppose without the custom they have to close, but it seems such a shame and I think it is only mostly down to the price of beer these days.

Phil

and I think it is only mostly down to the price of beer these days.

I'm sure that's amjor factor, Phil, as is the smoking ban and the never ending crackdown on drinking and driving.

But most of the pubs that are mentioned on this forum are those in the inner city areas - Aston, Sparkhill, Sparkbrook etc.

The reality is that Aston, at the last census was 75% Asian, the majority Muslim, Sparkhill/Sparkbrook over 50% Asian.

For areas with a pub on every corner, something had to go. If you have a population that don't drink and 20 pubs in a mile radius then some have to close down.

I go to the Villa every week and in the last year we've seen the demise of the King Edward, The Harriers, The Reservior, The Bull's Head and The Brittania. Of course, Nechells Park Tavern went a few years back and The Armada is up for sale. Add to this the Shareholders and The Little Crown which closed down a few years back.

I drive down the Stratford Road to work every day & all the pubs are shut. The Angel is a particularly sad looking place, still standing with it's sign but looking like a bombsite.

You can't expect pubs to survive in Sparkhill/Brook and Aston as there's no-one to go in them anymore.

You can't expect pubs to survive in Sparkhill/Brook and Aston as there's no-one to go in them anymore.

beaglehole

I'm sure everything you say is true, but the problem is not confined to inner city area's is it? I reaches out into the suburbs. In addition to the pubs that have been mentioned on this recently site, such as The Waggon and Horses, The Gospel Oak there are many others. Although the smoking ban is not helping in any way, most were struggling before it was introduced.

I think the price has to be laid squarely at the foot of price increases and the demise of the old fashioned local boozer where you could go and meet your friends and have a chat and a good old sing song at weekends.

Phil

Agree with you about the Angel beaglehole.The Victoria now appears to be done up as a Police Station of all things. Wonder how that will go down with the Somali folk who have adopted this area along to Camp Hll.

The prices in pubs went up as alcohol became more readily available in the supermarkets. And the supermarket prices went down as pub prices went up. We paid the other day in a pub over £8.00 for a soft drink and a glass of wine.
I don't think people meet up in a pub anymore, well not as much as they used to. Someone might suggest 'let's go for a meal at a certain pub'. So now they are nearly all restaurants, disguised as pubs. Or pubs disguised as restaurants.
And yes, it sounds really bad now, but nobody ever bothered about drinking and driving. It was quite the norm.

Phil,
I don't know which pub this photo of my nan was taken in, but it has to be Sparkbrook/Sparkhill/Balsall Heath and I would think 1930's. Could be The Mermaid, Angel or other.

Last edited by a moderator:
ann. what a cracking photo but i think even our resident pub experts will have job identifying the pub. or will they ?????? wales.

Agree with you about the Angel beaglehole.The Victoria now appears to be done up as a Police Station of all things. Wonder how that will go down with the Somali folk who have adopted this area along to Camp Hll.

My uncle who lived in Sparkbrook all his life in Larches St and Spark St, swore that he would never leave the Sparkbrook area. He managed to reach 64 years of age before he gave up and moved out to Wythall.

The straw that broke the camels back was that different tribes of Somali's were fighting each other in the streets at night. The police didn't seem to want to do anything about it, so it wasn't safe to go out at night.

So much against what he wanted he reluctantly sold up and moved. If it had'nt broke his heart so much I would have really ribbed him about it as he had me thirty years earlier.

Phil

Thanks Wales,

I don't know which one it is, but sure it's been through quite a few refits since that photo!
I know they were living in White Rd. Sparkbrook at the time.

Ann

Phil,
I don't know which pub this photo of my nan was taken in, but it has to be Sparkbrook/Sparkhill/Balsall Heath and I would think 1930's. Could be The Mermaid, Angel or other.

Ann

out of the pubs local to White St. The Crown, The Railway, The Brighton, The George, The Red Lion, The Clifton, The Prince Of Wales. I would put my money on The Gladstone on the corner of White St and Clifton Rd.

I choose this one on the basis that it is closest. It is obviously in an upstairs function / club room as all the pubs had in those days. I say this because I can't think of many pubs in the area with the exception of say the New Inns or the Mermaid with rooms big enough to set out two lines of tables and chairs.

Ann, I have to say this. None of them look very happy do they, couldn't have been much of a party. I hope it warmed up later.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you for the suggestions of where it could have been. I remember The Mermaid used to crop up a lot. But you made me laugh, because when I scanned it I thought 'God, everybody looks so miserable' and it kind of dismissed my view that 'everybody used to have such a lovely time'. Perhaps the person with the camera had been telling them to look happy for just that bit too long! Even the celery was wilting!

Ann

In the 1960's early every morning outside the Mermaid there would be a crowd of mainly Irishmen waiting to climb aboard tipper lorries carrying a corrugated tin shanty in the back. Some were already employed by the owners of the lorries but many were "lump" workers hoping to be taken on for a days work. Some got turned away when work was short and would make their way up to an Irish cafe up on the right in Stratford Road.

mike

Know the cafe you mean, in the door and up the stairs to the counter. I think it was an ex British Restaurant. They did a good steak meal there. One thing about an Irish cafe you would always get big meals and good food. I used to go there regularly. There was another on Moseley Rd at the top of Brighton Rd.

Phil

HI PHIL, Beaglehole As Beaten Me To It,I Was Wondering How To Put It On The Thread
With out Any -body Assuming I Was Abit Racis And Beagle As Put How And What I Wanted To Say About The AREA,S Of The Asian Communety ,They Do Not Drink, Full Stop.And The Few Irish Communety,s Are Moving On Or Going Back To IRELAND
There Fore There Customers Are Disapearing Rapidly.And The AsianCommunetys Are Growing Fast Around Brum In These Inner City Area,s And As Its Been Said Numeruos
Times The Asian Communetys Do Not Drink. Which In Turn Is Killing These Inner City
Pubs At One Time It Was The Students Whom Killed Alot Of Pubs, But They Are Long Gone The Eating Houses Are Now Of The Future Which Are Taking The Money
The Waggon And Horses And The Gospel Have Had There Hey Day Afew Years Ago
Even In Those Days You Had To Ware ASkid Lid To Go In There For A Drink
Afew Years Or Should I SayA Couple Of Years Ago YouCould Not Get A Seat In The
Monica Pub Small Heath With The Irish Community It Was Run By A Couple Of Good Friends Of Our For Years By The Name Of Ann And Seamus Gallagher
They Moved Up To The Antelope On Stratford Rd And The Irish Workers Went With Them .After A Stint There Ann And Seamus Moved Back To Ireland
Hence They Sold Of The Pub Because Of Lack Of Trade , The Question Was An InnER
City Pub With The ASIAN Communtity , They Do Not Used The Monica Empty
Every Night There Is A Pub Running Well And The Crowds From The Monica Are Now Using The Shaft more Pub Hall Green Quite ADifferent Enviroment
Regarding The Gospel The Locals Stoped Using That Years Ago ,
Where They Are Now Using Is The Maggies Pub Owned By Liam Occonnor
The Subbies And The Jobbing Buildrs Vans On The Car Park Are Choppa Block Full
Where Upon They Used The Gospel Oak Or One Of My Old Ones The Red Lion Acocks Green ,Which Is Now Empty Plus Alot Depends On The Gathers How Good He Is
That Makes A Pub, Yes It,s True That The Price Is Going Up All The Time But These Guys Work Hard aND dRINK hARD , bUT pEOPLE hAVE tO Face Facts That THE
aSIAN pEOPLE dO not DRINKaND aS tHEY aRE bUILDING tHERE cOMMUNETYS
And Eventualy The Old Age Communety Is Dying , Or The Familys Are Moving Up The Ladder With There Wealth And They Only Want The Eating Houses Which Are On THE oUT skirts Of Brum I Live In Worcestshire And At WeekEnds We Travel To Coventry To The Grithin , For Our Meals If YouWant A Meal You Travel Out Of Your Area
You Ain,,t Gonna Walk Down To Your Local .bUT wHAT bEAGLE as Said Is Bang On, And IcOULD nOT hAVE pUT iT bETTER Myself Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;;

Astonian

I don't think the demise of the local pub can all be put down to the fact that the mostly Asian residents of an area don't drink. Although this has played a major part in the closure of some pubs. In fact I think it is only the Muslims who do not drink, and according to the last census they are only a minor part of our population.

The Hindu's, Sikh's and Chinese and other Eastern races drink as much as we do. At times in some of the pubs in Sparbrook there were as many Asians drinking in there as English people.

I think that they, the same as us no longer drink as much simply because they can't afford to. At one time I used to drink seven nights a week plus the two dinner time sessions as well, and I was was not the only one to do so amongs my crowd. Who could afford that today?

Phil

Nice to see the Monica in Small Heath mentioned by Astonian. I used to drink there in the 1960's when it was run by Frank Summers and his wife. Saw some cracking concert nights there as well.

Back