• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Anchor.Bradford Street/Rea Sreet

Lloyd

master brummie
I can't instantly see a thread about this pub, so here's one now.
Situated conveniently close to Digbeth Coach Station this hostelry quenched the thirst of passengers and staff (after duty) for decades. I and many friends and colleagues downed gallons of beer there over the years, enjoying the welcome given by Gerry and Mary Keane and their son, 'young' Gerry who is now the pub's landlord and owner.
If you are ever in the area, drop in for a pint and say Lloyd from the Midland Red in the 80s sent you!

Last edited by a moderator:
A beautiful shot of a beautiful pub, Lyn. It was my adopted 'local' when I worked at the Midland Red, in fact the far right door led to a bar called the 'Midland Red Lounge'!
Now run by Gerry Keane, son of the late Gerry and Mary Keane who ran it back then in the 1970s and 1980s. That bar holds a lot of happy memories for me.

It has been a while since I logged into the forum. I note that there have been a few issues with loss of photographs etc. which is sad. Anyway, thought I would update on the link above which will not work now. I have collected so much material over the years, I find it necessary to devote a page to each pub I research. There is still a page for streets - so, for example, Bradford Street is now at: https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/bradford-street/ but the Anchor is on another page at: https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/bradford-street/anchor-inn.htm This is all work-in-progress so apologies for the loss of anything that was previously posted, it will all reappear with, of course, new research. I am currently working on the Lozells Inn.

After visiting Hight St Digbeth yesterday, I was having a look around the area and I was very pleased to see The Anchor Pub on Rea Street.

Any details? I'd love to learn about this building.

Attachments

• 20230827_140428.jpg
    20230827_140428.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
I have moved the last post to the earlier anchor thread. I did visit it not long ago. Got the impression that it is not doing well, but those running it are making a big effort. The trouble is that, at the moment, its in a bit of a wasteland, though that will presumably change when they finish all the developments taking place nearby

I did look up The Anchor, but couldn't find anything, thanks for moving the post.

It looked busy on Sunday, like you say, let's hope with the accommodation developments etc that it picks up.

Great info in this thread about the Landlords, pics and stories. What date was the pub built, plus a map of the street around that time would be good. Pity I didn't stop and get a better pic.

Back