• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Acumen Company, Park Road, Aston

emevans

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone on the site have any knowledge about The Acumen Company, who had a factory/workshop in Park Road, Aston. According to Graces Guide they produced accessories for the motor and motorcycle industry from at least 1945 to the late 1950's but I cannot find out any history is contemporary magazines etc. It would appear that they produced a unique hand operated horn for invalid carriages etc. Instead of using the familiar rubber bulb to expel the air through a reed, Acumen patented a fabric bellows which could be operated by the disabled person pressing down on the steel top cap of the bellows. Simple but effective.

Any information would be helpful.

Em

Apparently they were at the Rose Works, 133 Park road from at least 1932 (from Kellys) and originally were described as motor accessories, pressworkers & metal spinners, but by and during WW2 described themselves as manufacturers of cycle & motorcycle accessories & leatherworkers. The leatherworking had been dropped by 1946, by 1965 they had added scooter accessories, and by the time of the last Kellys in 1973 were just manufacturing cycle accessories. The position of the factory in Park Road, between Albert & Victoria Roads is shown in red on the map c 1950

map c 1950 showing 133 Park road, aston.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently they were at the Rose Works, 133 Park road from at least 1932 (from Kellys) and originally were described as motor accessories, pressworkers & metal spinners, but by and during WW2 described themselves as manufacturers of cycle & motorcycle accessories & leatherworkers. The leatherworking had been dropped by 1946, by 1965 they had added scooter accessories, and by the time of the last Kellys in 1973 were just manufacturing cycle accessories. The position of the factory in Park Road, between Albert & Victoria Roads is shown in red on the map c 1950

View attachment 113517
Thank you very much for the information and the excellent map Mike. You have answered everything that I wanted to know about The Acumen Company. I must have walked past their premises several times in the 50's and 60's without wondering what was going on inside. My old James motorcycle has what I believe is an Acumen bulb horn on the handlebar and 60 years after it's manufacture it is still in perfect working order. They may have been cheap but they were excellent value for money.

Best wishes.

Emlyn

emlyn i am sure i have one or have seen a photo of the acumen co..i have searched all of my park road photos which are on the forum but no luck...will keep searching for you

lyn

i knew i had seen one:)..just found this in my files although it must be about 4 years since i looked at this file..click on photo and click click again on the top right hand arrow for full screen..acuman co is the one with the attic

lyn

img152.jpg

Last edited:
i knew i had seen one:)..just found this in my files although it must be about 4 years since i looked at this file..click on photo and click click again on the top right hand arrow for full screen..acuman co is the one with the attic

lyn

View attachment 113707
Sorry for the delay in replying - away on holiday...
Thank you for the superb photographs Lyn. Now I know what the Acumen premises were really like in those difficult post war years when you could have anything made from a pen nib to steam-roller in small workshops in Birmingham. They were happy days and I am thankful for having experienced it. Best wishes.

Emlyn

What book is that with the Acumen picture in it please Lyn?

its in a book called aston remembered by victor j price..published 1989 by BREWIN books..cracking little book with lots of info and smashing photos:)

lyn

Im194603BTJ-Acumen.jpg
Im50THBK-Acumen.jpg
Im1962Tra-Acumen.jpg
Im20170412RB-AcumenCo.jpg

Back