• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

the 39 steps.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday my husband was scrolling through Tv channels and started watching the film with Kenneth more as the hero, I came into the room and commented on the bad acting but just then the continuity was even worse Kenneth More jumped out of a window to escape the 'baddies ' he landed in a farmers wagon stacked high with bales of hay, in the next shot he was standing in the wagon which was full of sheep,not a bale of hay in sight
Perhaps a very good story but that adaptation not so good but it gave us a few laughs.

Yesterday my husband was scrolling through Tv channels and started watching the film with Kenneth more as the hero, I came into the room and commented on the bad acting but just then the continuity was even worse Kenneth More jumped out of a window to escape the 'baddies ' he landed in a farmers wagon stacked high with bales of hay, in the next shot he was standing in the wagon which was full of sheep,not a bale of hay in sight
Perhaps a very good story but that adaptation not so good but it gave us a few laughs.
seen it alberta but as its a 1959 film continuity was not great...which brings to mind a 60s programme called man in a suitcase i used to watch staring richard bradford i adored him lol...never noticed it back then but having watched re runs he must be the only person i have seen that could have a full blown fight for 10 mins and still come out of it with his ciggie still in his mouth :D its only now that we notice these things...

seen it alberta but as its a 1959 film continuity was not great...which brings to mind a 60s programme called man in a suitcase i used to watch staring richard bradford i adored him lol...never noticed it back then but having watched re runs he must be the only person i have seen that could have a full blown fight for 10 mins and still come out of it with his ciggie still in his mouth :D its only now that we notice these things...
I used watch Man In A Suitcase religiously , modern day heroes couldn't keep up a fight for 10 minutes nowadays . Not with all this gadgetry they have today .

Alberta I think the best version of this film is with Robert Donat , and Madeleine Carroll a local girl from West Bromwich obviously older than the Kenneth More version , your observation about getting a few laughs . Look at some of the Hammer Films like Dracula where the victim is being chased by the vampires carriage , yes you're quite right they manage to out run the horse super human or what .I'm surprised the directors etc didn't notice that when looking at the rushes as they're called

I think I read the book years ago.
The film was made again in 1978 with Robert Powell playing Hannay, I seem to remember that was quite a good version.

Another good continuity error was in the film version of the TV Series "Man About The House" - in this the main characters get into a taxi outside Thames TV Studios in Euston Rd. They take a trip around London, then alight - outside Thames TV Studios in Euston Rd...........
Not mentioning the wooden orange crate Julie Andrews stood on in The Sound Of Music - crate is marked "Product of Israel" but the film is set pre-war. And never forget the chariot racer in Ben Hur who is wearing a wristwatch.......... And if you ever watch "The Wizard Of Oz" watch the length of Judy Garland's hair go up and down throughout the film, as many scenes were re-shot several months after the original shoot

Last edited:
Back