• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Teen Culture

chocks2

master brummie
From the Teds of the 50's through the Mods and Rockers, Hippies, Skinheads, Glam Rockers,Punks to the New Romantics of the early 80's the youth of this country always seemed to be drawn to a cult of some sort or another. These cults were massive and somewhat tribal and always fashion and music orientated, yet for some reason they seemed to have dissapeared by the 80's. I wonder why?
I know youth are still and always will be led by fashion and small trends do seem to appear from time to time but there is nothing on a large scale any longer. Were we just sheep who latched on to whatever was in at the time or have the youth today lost their ability to belong to social groups?

I think it's because we are older Chocks (sorry) and we dont go to the town scene anymore, it is still out there according to my grandson but it's indie RB hip hop rapping ect now. Not my thing I must admit but I think the rapping ect are in gangs

I think it's because we are older Chocks (sorry) and we dont go to the town scene anymore, it is still out there according to my grandson but it's indie RB hip hop rapping ect now. Not my thing I must admit but I think the rapping ect are in gangs

Hi Patty. I agree that we are older (with some trepidation) and I have to admit that there is big club scene out there but there does not seem to be any major/nationwide fashion based scene anymore only smaller trends. Bearing in mind that in the 60's and 70's we had youth clubs all over the place and the kids could afford to gather at football matches etc. You also saw large gathering of youth at various event and fashion areas such as the Oasis Market or the Kings Rd in Chelsea and Keepers Pool Sutton Park was the place to be on a warm summer day.
My daughter loves the club scene and she also loves her fashion but she doesn't belong to any cult or anythig like that and unless she clubbing or shopping she doesn't come out of her bedroom.
I don't know... perhaps you're right but I don't seem to notice any particular cult anymore apart from the trouble making chavs hanging around street corners and I wouldn't dream of including all the youth in that catagory.

E=Ray Barrett;291063]Perhaps they are all on facebook...and that's the new cult.[/QUOTE]

I really hadn't thought of that, but yes, you are right! In addition, the revolting 'laddish' behaviour of certain types of young female; and the whole 'chav' thing too. All in all, not a very positive out-look.
icon9.gif

The speed of media these days means 'fashion' is out of date within hours. The cults are still there, but lots of them instead of just one or two.
More worrying is the geographic gang culture developing, mimicking the American 'ghetto gangs' of a decade or two back, who hold an area or district as their own, and woe betide and rival gang member who strays into the 'wrong' area.

Ray my grandchildren are on face book and Chocks the word Chav is mentioned between them quite a lot. I have been informed by one of them that Goth is in fashion at the moment and not all are youngsters who follow that trend. Jean.

Hi folks i think until the Teddy boys of the 50s, there was no difference between youth and their parents, visually i mean you stopped wearing your child clothes, and stepped straight into mom's/dads, but the 50s really gave youngsters an identity of their own, and the generations that come after them wanted to keep that, the 60s really brought a fashion that was clearly aimed at the youth,mods/rockers then hippies skinheads and all the others,you still get some groups that define themselves by their clothes,emos,goths, but i think for the most part its just fashion now and what style you like to wear and it doesn't nesserserally tie you to a particular group, being called a chav i think is an insult,you wear cheap fake designer clothes,gone are the days of grey flannells and white shirts for the lads, and floral skirts and fitted blouses for the girls

Well, youngsters need to have their "own thing",they are no better or worse than we were.One thing for sure, there are more good un's than bad.

Jean,
I go on facebook,so that I'm able to keep a check what my grandchildren might say about me.lol.

Oh and what do they say Ray?. Ours call us barmy grandad and nutty nan. The latest cult thing with girls is to wear an ear ring that makes the earlobe drop and the pierced hole larger. I suppose body piercing is the in thing with a lot of teenagers at the moment. Jean.

I agree with Lloyd on the subject of gangs. Some areas have problems with a gang from one post-code area fighting with a gang from another post-code area. This is rife in some areas but those who live in better neighbourhoods disbelieve it. Teachers in some schools wear stab-proof vests, these are made from a lightweight material and do not have pockets because they are worn beneath a normal shirt and can not be seen. Selling off school playing fields and stopping team games for health and safety reasons have nos helped because it has fragmented the friendship of the children. In past generations, change was always a slow transformation, more recently it has been a rapid transition.

I think we had gangs when we were younger in different areas now instead of gangs we have tribes but as usual the people high up don,t like to call a spade a spade in case it rocks the boat. i would say it was human nature that if you moved to a strange country you would feel safer with your own kind. Dek

Hi all, gangs were certainly different, i have been watching a documentry on channell 4 for a few weeks Tower block of commons
its about people living in deprived areas, often in tower blocks, fashion plays no part in these gangs as far as i could see, i think a lot of it is copying what they have seen about gangs in America on TV and through music videos, i think young people do like to think they belong to some sort of group,and these youngsters have unfortunately chosen this sort of group,and to be honest i think being poor and not having much is no excuse to be carrying a gun or a knife,and while i can see that you would want to befriend people from the same background,the violence i can't understand,surely in the 30s/40s young men had very little but i am sure they didn't go round knifing each other,it seems to me that society is just not as moral as it used to be,
and your right in what you say about better off people not believing it, the MPs taking part in the programme are clearly shocked at the way some people live,

Morality has been in decline for a number of years,mainly, because politicians fail to see where the fault lies.
The gangs are about belonging,it is a substitute for a lack of what we knew as family life.
Those of us who were born and grew up in the 30s and 40s,didn't stab each other because the punishment involved a lengh of rope and a trap door.
We are on a downward spiral into depravity and mayhem,I believe,when we reach rock bottom, the only way we can go is,up.
We must restore proper family values,a stable home life will improve every aspect of society.

I can understand why some of you have logically refered to the gang culture within this thread but lets not confuse this with the "Teen Cult" If you saw a Teddy Boy a Mod or a Skinhead you knew instantly what they were, what they liked and what they stood for and although violence did play a part in some of these cults particularly the Mods & Rockers and the Skins it wasn't the predominant factor. Fashion and music was. You could also go anywhere in the country and see the same sort of people, dressed the same and sharing a common bond. The gang culture is as stated locally based and generally they are unrecognisable as belonging to any tribe, cult or group. They are purely violence orientated.

I can understand why some of you have logically refered to the gang culture within this thread but lets not confuse this with the "Teen Cult" If you saw a Teddy Boy a Mod or a Skinhead you knew instantly what they were, what they liked and what they stood for and although violence did play a part in some of these cults particularly the Mods & Rockers and the Skins it wasn't the predominant factor. Fashion and music was. You could also go anywhere in the country and see the same sort of people, dressed the same and sharing a common bond. The gang culture is as stated locally based and generally they are unrecognisable as belonging to any tribe, cult or group. They are purely violence orientated.
Hi Chocks2 that is what i was trying to say,only i tend to ramble on,these gangs are nothing to do with fashions,it is just mindless violence liz

We also have the tattoo cult some look tribal with them all over their head face and neck and the ones that copy the Jew type tattoos on their fore arms that the Germans put on, what happens when the fashion changes to kleen looking skin mainly for the women they can't change them like you can change clothes that go out of fashion.

Frederick,
There really ain't nothing new...my granny had tattoos,done c1900.
I think it was Plato who said,"the youth of today are not as good as we were"...no change there then.

The tattoo cult i wonder if we will see any of them on the antiques road show like we do with the old paintings.

The tattoo cult i wonder if we will see any of them on the antiques road show like we do with the old paintings.
That would be fun to see,i know people have had tattoo's for many years,my friends dad had his mom tattooed on his arm,
and that's okay but to completely cover yourself in them is not a good look,and i think a lot of young people will regret it as they get older,i don't mean people who are really covered,but the young ones who have peoples names,and then they part, or have things that are acceptable in your teens but look really silly in your 40/50s

Back