• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

taylor and challen today

Nothing to do with T & C I am afraid but the mention of structures being propped up was not uncommon in Birmingham during and after WW2. The most noticeable might have been in the Bull Ring opposite St. Martins near the junction with Moor Street.

hello greg and happy retirement....so pleased that you will be able to come to england next year to follow up your family history...if you need and help with any of the other addresses let us know as although the houses may no longer be there we may have photos of the streets or roads before demolition..as you may know the taylor and challen building is a listed building and is still standing...the ground floor taken up by a couple of companies..i am now wondering if there is anything left upstairs of the old interior...here is a photo i have taken from street view....click on it once then click on the arrow at the top right and it should enlarge

lyn

View attachment 108851
Lyn

Thanks for the photo, it is very much appreciated. I don't suppose anyone out there can put me in contact with a Wilkes person I might be able to compare genealogical notes with before we arrive in Birmingham in August 2017?

glad to help a bit greg....bet you are looking forward to your visit to birmingham next year....happy christmas to you and yours:)

lyn

Though noted for their presses and dyes, Taylor's firm made stationary steam engines during an earlier period of their existence. Their buildings still stand, as some of the photographs in this thread demonstrate. Travelling either on the tram or train, it is possible to see the name on the former factory either side of the tracks.

index.php

This is the photo that I posted on the Ghost Signs thread. The sign that can be seen from the trains and trams out of Snow Hill mentioned by Heartland above. I took the picture looking through a hole in a gate on Livery Street.

Hello All, first post here.
I just discovered this forum and thread thanks to a link my aunt sent me last week. That was an interview by the IWM about my grandad's exploits in WW2. In it he mentions Taylor and Challen engineering. As I am an engineer myself and, more importantly, a Challen (I think this firm was set up by my great great grandad - might be another great in there), I was very interested. Then this thread pops up in google. Thanks to everyone for comments and photos. If anyone has questions, post them up and I'll do what I can to answer them.
Best regards
Roy Challen

Last edited:
Finally, now I'm retired my wife and I are able to visit the UK for the first time! This time next year (in 2017) we fly into Birmingham so that I can try and find some of the old Taylor and Challen buildings, some of the addresses on my grandparents birth certificates and maybe even some long lost relatives. By the way, on a recent visit to Perth, Western Australia I found a coin press manufactured by Taylor and Challen dated 1906 and still working! Obviously it was built to last!
Hi Greg
Whereabouts in Perth did you see this press? I have friends there, so a good reason to visit.

Hi Greg
Whereabouts in Perth did you see this press? I have friends there, so a good reason to visit.
Hello All, first post here.
I just discovered this forum and thread thanks to a link my aunt sent me last week. That was an interview by the IWM about my grandad's exploits in WW2. In it he mentions Taylor and Challen engineering. As I am an engineer myself and, more importantly, a Challen (I think this firm was set up by my great great grandad - might be another great in there), I was very interested. Then this thread pops up in google. Thanks to everyone for comments and photos. If anyone has questions, post them up and I'll do what I can to answer them.
Best regards
Roy Challen

HELLO ROY .
I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE THAT THE TAYLOR AND CHALLEN LEGACY IS STILL BEING DISCUSSED TILL TODAY
I AM PLEASED TO INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE 5 FUNCTIONING DOUBLE ACTION PRESS MACHINES DOUBLE SIDED FRAME OF TAYLOR AND CHALLEN. SIZE 6 , SIZE 5 , SIZE 4 AND 3 1/2
WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF ACTIVATING A NEW PRESS 6 ( 1996 MODEL ) OF TAYLOR AND CHALLEN ,
I HAVE THE INSTRUCTION / operating MANUAL , BUT A FEW DRAWINGS ARE MISSING .
DRAWINGs RELATING TO THE AIR CLUTCH SYSTEM , AND THE ELECTRICAL PANEL CONNECTIONS ARENT THERE .
IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS , I WILL BE SO GLAD TO HAVE IT .
REGARDS
DEEPAK MAHTANI

Last edited:
Hi Deepak

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud, and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

This was what the building looked like in 1977
------------------------------------------------

The gable end of that building is intriguing as though large doors were there at one time, but then again what were those circular brickworks for? so obviously not doors. The brickwork inside the two circles is much larger, more like stone blocks so blocked up at a later date for some reason. Maybe large pipes went in & out?

Last edited:
I served my apprenticeship at T&C around about 1970 to 1975 or so. I can remember being sent up to the hut at the top of the building to get some wax drawings out so we could manufacture some spares for the Indian Mint. There were no tolerances on the drawings in those days so, for example, the bearings had to be turned to suit the crankshaft using “feel” to get the right fit. Incredibly skilled craftsmen that it was a privilege to be schooled by.

Attachments

• 3AF221EB-5A69-4BB5-A451-792F2796D42B.jpeg
    3AF221EB-5A69-4BB5-A451-792F2796D42B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 63FCD4E1-3D38-4D1E-B5CC-3C7DAD54A4D7.jpeg
    63FCD4E1-3D38-4D1E-B5CC-3C7DAD54A4D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Back