• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Talking Pictures TV

Dave89

master brummie
Hi,

I've only just 'discovered' this on Channel 81 Freeview.
The trouble is, now I can't stop watching the old films!

For any of you Cliff Richard fans, Expresso Bongo is on next Saturday night.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

I've only just 'discovered' this on Channel 81 Freeview.
The trouble is, now I can't stop watching the old films!

For any of you Cliff Richard fans, Expresso Bongo is on next Saturday night.

Kind regards
Dave

Dave I've been watching it for about 3 or 4 yrs now , over the last year I've watched and logged about 120 films . My viewing time ranges from 6.30- 7.40pm each night having prerecorded the films , plus being very nimble on the fast forward button
some of the warnings make me laugh( beliefs and language of a previous age ) ha ha ha

Often watch Channel 81, when not watching "Yesterday", probably for the same reason as being on BHF! Expresso Bongo I can remember where I saw that, ABC Forum, google tells me it was released in 1959 so I suppose that was when, and I can remember with whom!

I always keep my eye on for a really old film Kidnapped with the words in it saying 'you got too much fat on yer babby' but have never seen it come up. One day I hope.

Hi,

Just watched 'Blood of the Vampire', sad to say but last time I saw it was shortly after it came out!
Lots of happy memories

Kind regards
Dave

In the past 2 to 3 weeks we have had a couple of old films on Channel 81 where one of the stars is still alive today. "We'll meet again" was made in 1943 and the star was of course Vera Lynn, now aged 101. Also noticed in Hobson's Choice, made in 1953-4, that one of the younger daughters, Vicky Hobson, was played by Prunella Scales. She was born in 1932, now aged 86, and is most famous for her role as the suffering wife in Fawlty Towers. Dave.

In the past 2 to 3 weeks we have had a couple of old films on Channel 81 where one of the stars is still alive today. "We'll meet again" was made in 1943 and the star was of course Vera Lynn, now aged 101. Also noticed in Hobson's Choice, made in 1953-4, that one of the younger daughters, Vicky Hobson, was played by Prunella Scales. She was born in 1932, now aged 86, and is most famous for her role as the suffering wife in Fawlty Towers. Dave.
Well, from my recollection Sybil Fawlty may have suffered somewhat but the suffering she inflicted on Basil was far worse! And what about the pasting she dished out to that old bodger O'Reily. :eek:

Well, from my recollection Sybil Fawlty may have suffered somewhat but the suffering she inflicted on Basil was far worse! And what about the pasting she dished out to that old bodger O'Reily. :eek:

Yes but unfortunately Prunella now suffers with something I hope could be eradicated in years to come, it's a form of Alzeimers . You can see she is still as lively as ever on the programme Great Canal Journeys with husband Timothy West she is a Vanguard in her own way suffering with a disease like that and still carrying on . Miss Scales I salute you

It is a distressing thing; more so for those who have to cope with someone who has any form of dementia. It is something I witness most days - not of a personal nature, but in people I know or visit. Indeed, hopefully some treatment may be found, the sooner, the better.

It is a distressing thing; more so for those who have to cope with someone who has any form of dementia. It is something I witness most days - not of a personal nature, but in people I know or visit. Indeed, hopefully some treatment may be found, the sooner, the better.
And so say all of us, my son's father in law has the most severe form, in eighteen months his deterioration has been frightening.
Bob

My Doctor says, that I have a very contagious, fatal disease that there is no cure for. Its called "OLD AGE" So look out you youngsters.

There’s an educational programme that keeps popping up on Talking Pictures named “The Midlands in the 1960s”. It contains many scenes of Birmingham. Look out for it as I’m sure it will be repeated. Viv.

There’s an educational programme that keeps popping up on Talking Pictures named “The Midlands in the 1960s”. It contains many scenes of Birmingham. Look out for it as I’m sure it will be repeated. Viv.

Viv it's a great channel I've been watching it for years

Back