• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

T. Elvins & Sons Ltd

Jules65

master brummie
I worked for Elvins from 1981 to 1993 and have very fond memories of the place. They were originally in Naden Road which is just off Hunters Road. I don't suppose anyone has any pictures or memories they would be kind enough to share.

Jules65

Why is the name T Elvins & Sons Ltd familiar to me? What did they do, were they in the Building game or did they have anything to do with commercial vehicles.

Phil

Yes thats right Robert, they were a Building Contractors. They moved to Icknield Port Road, at the entrance to Edgbaston Reservoir, around 1989 I think it was. But I think they were in Naden Road for a long time. They had a joiners shop and a blacksmiths. I think the company had a lot of history in the area and someone once told me that they were quite a big company in the area.

Then it more than likely we worked for them some time or other. I think it may have been sometime in the late sixties. I seem to have a hazy recollection of calling at Naden Road a couple of times around that time.

Phil

Elvins Was A bIg Player In The Early Years Of The BUILDING Works Around B,ham
They Built More Than Most They Was An All Rounder Builders They Was In Naden Rd
Hockley Long Before The Fly Over Was Ever Thouht On And Long Before The Sixties
In Fact I Would Have Said They Was The Leaders In Contractors Of B,ham InAnd Around B,ham During The Fifties ,Right Up To The Seventies , When They Started To Flag Abit ,
And Thats When Bryants Of Small Heath Started Taking The Lead , And Along With
William Sapcotes Of Camden Street Started Big With Building Develements Around B,ham Then Came Along With Taylor And Woodrow Whom Put Them All Out Of Bussiness , I Started With Divis,s The Builders Merchants Of Wrentham St
By The Picture House WhomHad All The Contracts For The Old City Housing Departments [ Bush House ] For The Repairs Of All The Houses In And Around B,ham
As Time Marched On They Got Big And Moved There Offices To Watson Rd ,
Nechells [ Just Off Aston Church Lane ] And They Got Big And Went Into The Civil Engineering Of Our Roads , But Going Back To Elvins In There Hey Day They Was
Big And Proffessional Around The Fifties , There Was A Couple Of Small Builders And Decorators, Namely Bibbs , Or Bebbinton,s Of Lennox St By The Old Six Ways Aston ,
And There Was Wake fields Of Lady Wood , But Yes T , Elvins Was The Bussiness

I worked for Elvins after leaving school from September 1959 until November 1960 as a trainee decorator. Mr.Bill Brown was Works manager and my foremen were Jackie Burns and Arthur Grice. Everyone was kind to me and I learnt a lot during my time there. The main entrance was on Soho Hill. Happy days.

hi james
I REMEMBER ELVINS VERY MUCH AND JACKIE BURNS WAS AN OLD LONG TIME FRIEND OF MINE JACKIE DIED ABOUT EIGHT YEARS AGO HE WAS VERY POPULAR WITH THE LADIES
HE LIVED AND DIED IN SHELDON
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;;

My husband worked for Elvins for 20 years and still keeps in touch with many of the workers. Elvins produced 2/3 books on the firm, one of which was Examples of Modern Buildings in 1926, we have got, but my husband would like to obtain any others produced by Elvins. If anybody can help, please let me know.

Jackie

Does anyone remember who knocked b,ham down before Elvins helped rebuild it ? it was Grooms or was it Groomes & I remember it went on for months swinging huge steel balls hanging on a chain from big cranes who used to swing from side to side to get momentum on the ball & then smash into the building.

Some of the major buildings erected by T. Elvins was The Police Station, Digbeth: Police and Fire Station, Bordesley Green: Town Hall and Fire Station, Sutton Coldfield: St. Peter's Church, Maney, Sutton Coldfield: The Oak Cinema, Selly Oak: Cannings, Great Hampton Street and many more.

"I Worked for T Elvins when I left School in 1968, as did half of my School as Plumbers Mates. Names I remember, Eddie Priddle, Gillie Wilkes, Tony Facey, Mr Sims, Malcolm Sylvester, Johnny Cleeton, Dennis Davenport, Frankie Ball, and an alcoholic Labourer called "Yippee", who drank non stop while we were working on a Bank in Colmore Row. I Remember being sent to "Wimbush's", which was all Women , with a sandwich list, and asking for "a pound of porthole duff", and the whole shop laughing, Did I go red! A kind Lady gave me a bag of uncooked bacon rhind on a stale roll, and said "You keep his Money Bab" When I got back , they said "Did you get the Porthole duff? The looks on his face when I produced the Goods, All his mates took the proverbial! Happy Days

Elvins also built Shirley comunity centre, Olton libuary and the bone marrow transplant unit at the old childrens hospital Ladywood. All in the late 80s.

I worked on several Elvins Jobs over the years they were not a major player in the rebuilding of B,ham they were a family firm with top class tradesmen that stayed loyal to the company one of the last jobs they did was the restoration of St martins church at the time that Mc Alpines built the new Bull Ring. Dek

"I Worked for T Elvins when I left School in 1968, as did half of my School as Plumbers Mates. Names I remember, Eddie Priddle, Gillie Wilkes, Tony Facey, Mr Sims, Malcolm Sylvester, Johnny Cleeton, Dennis Davenport, Frankie Ball, and an alcoholic Labourer called "Yippee", who drank non stop while we were working on a Bank in Colmore Row. I Remember being sent to "Wimbush's", which was all Women , with a sandwich list, and asking for "a pound of porthole duff", and the whole shop laughing, Did I go red! A kind Lady gave me a bag of uncooked bacon rhind on a stale roll, and said "You keep his Money Bab" When I got back , they said "Did you get the Porthole duff? The looks on his face when I produced the Goods, All his mates took the proverbial! Happy Days

The only name I remember from your list is Eddie Priddle. So hard to remember names from so long ago. Alf Vickers, Noel Chesterman, John Coffey, John Davis, Harry Burston come to mind. Jobs that were worked on while I was there, Birmingham University 1290, St. Peters and Pauls, St. Chads Cathedral, they built some houses in Redditch under the name of Countryman Homes, they built a new unit for Charles Harbage Ltd., opposite Dudley Road Hospital, Stoneleigh Abbey, they did quite a bit of work doing refurbishment of houses for Sandwell Council and also for Birmingham City Council. Working in the office, you used to have to call the main men by their surnames. Mr. Gerry Smallwood, Mr. Tom (Elvins) and Mr. John (Elvins) you never said the Elvins bit just called them Mr. Tom & Mr. John, Roger Underhill, Lesley Beardsmore, John Whitfield, Geoff Molby, Bill Askew, Mr. Peter Cummins, Bob Scrivens.

Yes they was orinional guys whom came from the border of the old aston six ways and hockley
a couple of guys from around the old lenox st aston i remember them from around the very late 40,s
and the very early fifties when they had a wagon and seen them progress to bigger things and yes they eventualy ended up at naden rd which was about a mie or two from where they started from as i may have mentioned beforein old threads i knew guys whom helped them out and workedfor them
also from lenox street in hose days whom started a builders bussiness was the bevan brothers painters and builders
around the same period tommy douglas was a freindand neibour to them as well whom i knew very well
bt thats where they come from alot of guys done well from the back streets of aston
even johny prescott with is boxing carrer and he set up a big steel stockist bussiness and a bookies bussiness
which he set up on victoria rd aston ; there as been a couple of good guys and boxers whom went into the bookies
bussiness whom i know personaly watty green , presscott and dave rubin whom was on the old six ways aston
and watty on on spring hill lady wood
so yes elvins was on naden rd hockley is where there yard was the last stop before moderise started on the fly over
they started small and worked there way up from jobbing jobbs to the big time
have a nice day every body and enjoy our gloriuos sun shine . Astonian ;;;;;

The only name I remember from your list is Eddie Priddle. So hard to remember names from so long ago. Alf Vickers, Noel Chesterman, John Coffey, John Davis, Harry Burston come to mind. Jobs that were worked on while I was there, Birmingham University 1290, St. Peters and Pauls, St. Chads Cathedral, they built some houses in Redditch under the name of Countryman Homes, they built a new unit for Charles Harbage Ltd., opposite Dudley Road Hospital, Stoneleigh Abbey, they did quite a bit of work doing refurbishment of houses for Sandwell Council and also for Birmingham City Council. Working in the office, you used to have to call the main men by their surnames. Mr. Gerry Smallwood, Mr. Tom (Elvins) and Mr. John (Elvins) you never said the Elvins bit just called them Mr. Tom & Mr. John, Roger Underhill, Lesley Beardsmore, John Whitfield, Geoff Molby, Bill Askew, Mr. Peter Cummins, Bob Scrivens.

Eddie Priddle was my Grandad. I remember he had an Elvins van when I was a kid. I think he was proud to work there.

i worked for elvins 79-80, it was like going back in time what with mr tom and mr john and alike but there were some great blokes working for them i was a brickie i worked on a social club in sparkbrook i forget his name but the site agent liked his beer and used to stay drinking at the club and sleep in the cement shed [he was always the first on site] we built a blue brick wall round a church on the main road in sparkbrook the brickie i worked was a old hand named bernie his wife was named ilene and he had both thier names at the top of his car windscreen it read "bernilene"like some chemical we dain,t take the mik though [ not half ] the last job i was on was the central hall refurb in corparation st repionting the tower,i enjoyed my time at elvins and like i say the blokes were a good laff even though they was brummies [ i;m from the blackcountry

My Dad Arther (Albert) Gough worked for Elvins for years, starting off as an apprentice bricklayer and finished as a Site Foreman/Agent. Dad passed away last week and I would love to get in touch with anyone that worked with him or knew of him. Dad lived in Hall Green Birmingham up until about 11 years ago and then moved to Walsall. For as long as I can remember, Dad spoke of Elvins as though it was the best job in the world and wherever we went around Birmingham he would point out buildings that Elvins had been involved with or buildings that my Dad had helped to build - he was always very proud of what he did. The only two names that I can remember at the moment are Billy Askew and Alfie Vickers - if you knew my Dad or know how I can get in touch with people that possibly worked with him, will you email me please at [email protected] ?
Dad's funeral is on 13th June 2011 at 1.15pm at Perry Barr Crematorium.
I can remember the yard being by the flyover, but then they moved by Edgbaston Reservoir didn't they? My Dad had a heart attack whilst driving his car on the way to work one morning at Five Ways Island, but he continued driving into work where an ambulance was called for him!!! (Dedicated or what?)

Back