• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sweets We Used To Have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for those Alf. I remember many on the first but will have a good look at the chocolate one in the morning. Jean.

On another thread someone was told not to 'chumble' their Spangles. Be nice to have some Spangles to chumble these days! although always I liked the Acid Drop ones best meself.

I remember kalye we would ask for 2p worth and make a bottle of pop and take it up the Reservoir with broken biscuits and that was our picnic (happy day's)

Remember the liqurice comforts, liqurice covered in a sugar coating we used rub the red ones around our lips to look as if we had lipstick on.

This is what the grandchildren wrapped up for grandads birthday. The 80th birthday of the jelly baby. Grandad wasn't 80 though. The special edition are called Jellyatrics. Jean.

Loved Toasted tea cakes. Did anyone have a brown licorice stick from the chemist [it was like a piece of wood] - you chewed it and then spat out the debre. UGH!! Miriam.

hi watton
i remember your mom and dads shop the litle grocery shop on park lane
on the same side of the billard hall probably about 200 yards at the most i would say
selling groceries and things because my grand parents were neibours in a matter of speaking cos they had the chippie and the coffee shops the other side of the rd at 235 and the rear ware house behind and 237 park lane but what i was going to say was i have bought a load of your moms deliciuos toffee apples off her from your mom
i was back and forth like a yo yo after the years i remember your parents opening up after my grand parents sold there shops inthe fifties and your parents openened up a little cafe of some sort selling sandwiches and teas i beleive it was in the year of the studios opening up at the old picture house in the days of the picture house
i used to go to upper thomas street with my brothers my second oldest brother bill fell down the school stairs in the lunch time and they had to pone an ambulance to take him to the hospital across the rd from the school there was a tuck shop
and my favorite sweet was the honeycombe pototoe with a sticker in it and if you was lucky to get a winning spud you could a 6 d sweet off the tray i used to buy them at a penny a spud if i was lucky to have two pennies then i would buy two
and if i had a half peeny left two black jacks my favorite i did and do not now like pear drops -- uh . best wishes astonian ;;;

Astonian my friend it is good to see your post - Where are your poems these days you have a way with words?

Anyhow i remember paying a penny for a lucky dip thinking i would get something nice - never again what a con LOL

Good Morning Beryl
How Are You Keeping Fine I Hope But I Cannot SpeaK For My Self At The Moment
I Am Going Through A Traumatic Period With My Family I Have Just Lost Another Brother
Through Death Its Seems My Life Is In Topsy Turvy Land I Have ActualyWrote One But I Have Not Got Around To Down Loading Any Think At The Moment Due To What Appears To My Every Day Occurances Of Problems May Be In THE Next Week A So I wILL Get The Opportuneity To Sort It Out I Have Two Members Awaiting On The Forum Waiting For Me To Down Load To Pics I Have For Them But At The Moment Its Just Impossible Still I Hope God Willing We Will Get Sortred
MY Favorites Was The Toasted Tea Cakes Well Beryl I Will Have To Sign Off For Now
Take Care Of Your Self And Hope To Hear From You Again
Have A Nice Day And Be Careful Out There Best WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;

hi al..yes i remember the licorice sticks...used to get from our little sweet shop in villa street..we loved them (then)last year my brother went to some museum cant remember now where it was...anyway he bought me two sticks back...couldnt wait to try them again..i chewed one for about 30 seconds and that was it...it was awful and for the life of me i cant think how we ever liked them....lol

can anyone recall the flying saucers..all different colours and filled with sherbat....and the little packets of sweet tabacco.... and sweet cigarettes....

astoness

I used to buy my sweets from old mr whettons a good old fashioned sweet shop where he would weigh me a couple of ounces of pineapple rock
every sunday morning and a penny sherbut and a penny bottle of soda water and he would say what colour you want today young man
and then i would nip across to mrs cox for a bottle of milk
get the penny off the milk bottle and get a packet of chocolate cocout
tobacco best wishes astonian ;

astonian..thats it...the sweet tabacco was like little brown pieces of coconut...lovely stuff.....

you have a good day....

lyn

Lyn there are two shops here in Weston who only sell all the old sweets,jap desert, pineapple junks,sherbet dabs,sweet tobacco,treacle toffee, just to name a few the one shop is on the pier.....thats when the pier is open

Mossy

mossy...i want some sweet tabacco...lol...we may have a day out in weston later this year so if the pier is open i will go buy some...lol...do we ever grow up.....

lyn

Lyn the other shop is directly oppsite the pier if you come down let me know we can have a few scoops of beer

Mossy

Not many sweets I liked or do like but did love pear drops until I almost choked on one and moms neighbour got me upside down by the ankles and thumped my back till it became dislodged. Frothy I can still smell them troach drops as my uncle Harry became hooked on them. Jean.

Not many sweets I liked or do like but did love pear drops until I almost choked on one and moms neighbour got me upside down by the ankles and thumped my back till it became dislodged. Frothy I can still smell them troach drops as my uncle Harry became hooked on them. Jean.

Can one still buy Troach drops??

Pete has just fell out of bed and he says they do something similar at the chemist but I think he's thinking about fisherman friend. He has also informed me that a little shop that just sells sweets has them. Long way to go Frothy. Jean.

Pink and white sugar mice, anyone?
The Black Country Museum's Victorian sweet shop always has a nice selection of 'old favourites' available.

Thanks but no thanks Lloyd too sugary. I don't even take sugar in my coffee and it's not a diet thing just have not got a sweet tooth. I used to buy a penny lol and a penny vantas from the shop opposite my school. Jean.

Last week I was in Stourport. On the road leading to the bridge I saw a traditional sweet shop for sale. I know times are hard but that came as a big surprise. From a little sweetshop in Worcester on Friday I purchased herbal sweets, chocolate misshapes, cola bottles and toffee hard nuts. Do you think I can find them ?
If you found them I hope you enjoy them as much as I would have done.

Hi there arkrite
was this little sweet shop next to a charity shop
and a pub on the corner facing it , if so it would have been warmans
they have every little old time sweet you want
still in there old fashion jars warmans have been there for donkey years
it only a wee small shop but they have the sweets from your child hood days beleive me there is another old fashioned sweet shop like that in kidder minster town centre when we go to kiide for shopping we always by my toasted tea cakes best wishes astonian ,;;

Thats the one Astonian. Lovely little shop and the prices are not inflated. There is another in the Crown shopping area near Beatties,nice sweets but more expensive.
I go to Kidderminster for NETTO supermarket and the Watermill Pub for a meal ( its a 2 for 1 pub reasonable prices). And yes we like toasted tea cakes to.....All the best ..Arkrite.

I used to like butterscotch gums - they were like fruit gums, but in were all butterscotch flavour and in white wrapper with tartan around the top and bottom.
I loved Frys Five boys chocolate, and frys chocolate with different flavour centres.
You used to be able to get sweets on a necklace that you could 'chobble' as you wore it round your neck, and different flavours of what looked like sticks of chalk.

Well 'Love Hearts' are still around. I remember them from junior school (and that's a long time ago).

Maggs

I used to love sweet cigarettes, now that wouldn't be pc would it? Does anyone think that sugared almonds are not what they used to be. The sugar coating used to have a perfumed taste which I thought was lovely. No longer so I'm afraid. If someone knows where they can still get those I would love to know.

Maggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back