• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Swans Head-Spring Hill-Ladywood

Yes , that is right Phil. In 1956 Walford Cashmore, & co , boot & shoe dealers were at no 80 Spring Hill

phil
if i am correct you are naming the pub i think you are nameing that particular pub was infact
the coach and horse if its the one with ballards next to the white building laying back
the rd is the junction of george street west and spring hill and if you stood across the rd from that picture of the coach and horses
is where inglby street was and the queens head was on that oppersite side of that main rd
and along side that pub [the one i think you was looking at there was watty greens betting shop with the huge trothy in the window
and as i said the queens head was on the corner of spring hill and as the pub took the corner around so the bar door was on the very corner of springhill and inglby street and further along thee springhill facing the libary was the turf pub which in on the picture as flat demolished land but i can assure its was still standing in 1967 and its was newburys whom ran the kings head in welington street behind bingley hall in those days
he moved to there in the fiftys and later went to victoria rd aston to a pub called the victoria hotel a latge akkie house
Astonian;;

Hi Mike, Thanks for your newspaper cuttings that shows that Albert B Slim married to my 2G Elizabeth Homer
was a bit of a bad boy. How would I be able to down load this information. Do you have the news write up
on my 3G Isaac Homer at the Gate Inn (Warstone Lane/Icknield Street) in Nov 1832?, fined for selling ?
without a Licence? Can you help,
Thanks
Pete Homer

Hi Peter
Not sure what you mean by downloading the information. You can save the cutting from the forum in the normal way. that is the only record of it I have come across. As to the one on Isaac Homer, in 1832 the only paper on the British newspapers website for Birmingham is the Birmingham Gazette (the Birmingham post not starting till the 1850s), and there does not seem to be mention of the incident in those issues that are searched. I am not clear as to whether they have all the issues of that paper in that period, but think probably not. Also the text recognition software used on this site sometimes misreads text, so might not see mention of the event.

Back