• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Swans Head-Spring Hill-Ladywood

PeterHomer

proper brummie kid
I am looking for information about a Public House named The Swans Head, 88 Spring Hill, Ladywood from approx 1890 to 1905.
My family once ran this pub, so would appreciate any onfo on the pub.
Thanks, Pete Homer

Hi Peter, I can't find anything in the old newspapers for this pub. Can you give the name of your relative that ran it as that may help find something (papers only go up to 1900 though).

Hi Peter

This photo is described as The White Swan, Spring Hill - Ingleby St, As I have no personal knowledge of the public house I can't conform that. Although I do have another photo of the same pub that is not as good where it is given the same location. Of course quite a few pubs and streets in that particular location were lost due to the road changes in the 60's.

Attachments

• Spring Hill Ingleby St White Swan.jpg
    Spring Hill Ingleby St White Swan.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 29
Kelly's list, Albert Slim, Beer Retailer, 88, Spring Hill between 1895- 1900.

Colin

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I think you have misread an old document and mistaken an old fashoned capital Q for an S. No 88 Spring Hill is The Queens Head, which , by coincidence is on the corner of Spring Hill. On the map below The Queens Head is in blue, and the White Swan Ingleby st is in red.

[/FONT]
map_c_1914__spring_hill_and_ingleby_st_showing__Queens_Head2C_spring_hill___and_white_Swan2C_ingleby_st__in_1930.jpg

Mike,

I think you must be right, as I was dubious over my photo as it does not look like a corner house and I wasn't sure if number 88 was on a corner or just close to it. The other photo I have shows that The White Swan is definitely not on a corner.

Is it possible that The Queens Head was known as the Swans Head before it was upgraded to a full license from a beer house?

Landlords of Queens Head given in Kellys (note year is publication year of Kellys and might be a year out of date):
Before 1884 the pub (beerhouse was listed as no 147 Spring hill, but renumbering took place shortly after)
1880 William Cookes
1882-1884 Charles Batsford
1888-1900 Albert Slim
1903 David Knight Dacre
1904 George H.F.Mallin
1905 George Gardner
1908 Mrs Caroline Hargreaves

Phil
It is certainly possible Phil, but I think it more likely that it was old handwriting misread. Certainly in 1900 it was the Queens Head as can be seen from the obitueary notice in the Birm Post. 30 April 1900

Birm_post_30_4_1900.jpg

My dates seem to disagree slightly with colins in post 4, in that he gives kjellys 1885 as having Albert slim as landlord. With al respect, I think he has misread. I do not have the 1885 Kellys, but there is a note in the Birm post. 14.5.1888 saying Albert Slim has taken over the licence.

b_post_4_5_1888_licensing_change.jpg

A couple of other mentions of Albert, one of them indicating that he might have been a bit of a bad boy. Mind you most publicans probably were at that time.

B_post_13_2_1890.jpg

B_post_8_12_1891.jpg

Albert Benjamin Slim born 1857 to Benjamin Slim/Hannah nee Downing

1891 at the Queens Head Spring hill.

Albert Slim age 34
Elizabeth Slim age 36
Amy Slim age 5

Albert Benjamin Slim died in 1900 age 43.

That pub was in inglby street for definite as a young fella I used to drink in there before I joined the army

And in later years it changed to the inglby arms in ingle street ant at the bottom of the street was spring hill
And spring hill passage and then you had the coach and horse and then the queens head on the corner of inglby street and spring hill

That was a very small pub indeed always had the Joe Anna playing and singing
And I myself used to sing in the ingby arms just down from there there was a second hand shop of clothes owned by Mrs peacock
Best wishes astonian

Alan

The White Swan and the Inglby Arms were different pubs. One was an Ansells House the Inglby Arms at number 24, and the White Swan at number 10 was an M&B house.

Hi there
What as happened here withmy knowledge of added info, I spent time on writing it and its not been added and you turned it off
For what reason so yes mike is correct I agree with him and I did not see what was wrong in mentioning the after math of the future
Of adding the name change of history the said pub and stating how it changed within the street name and inglby street name never changed at all

And with added bonus of knowing the skating rink had been rebuilt as here and saying the knowledge of the area my knowledge is not from text book
Astonian,,,,

Alan, I am looking into this as I made another post on this thread which has disappeard this morning.

Good morning Alberta
Many thanks for your reply I am totally frustrated of late with the forum because not just me feel habit mother about these replys
Are disappearing and not putting other peoples as well as ours in the forum a lot of members especially new one have a lot of good old memories of our history
And I hope they do not mind some of them are older people than me with high value of history and of the war years memory and

Treasured memory they want to give and they spend there time in typing it out and thinking they have connected the correct buttons
Which I do not doubt they have just like you and me some are not going through along with area others I am beginning to think things about this forum
Just of late Alberta as to what is exactly going on and just how this system works behind the scenes
If you recall I had a problem with the forum regarding being locked out for a good length of time and tryed all areas to get some one to correct it for me
Recently jim did get me sorted out now at that time it had to be some one behind the scenes whom done it for what ever reason
I do not slander people and I know the rules of not requesting alive persons or giving out and requesting live personal people.e alive today ASD we are all aware of the crooks of the day obtaining personal data from certain areas but for the love nor money
I could not understand why I got removed at that time and it really upset me personally
At one point I contacted the central library as I thought you are coming from there but I was tolld some think that got me thinking
About some things that's going on
But any way Alberta I will not go on about that its water under the bridge as far as I am concerned
Last night l started to recall the memory of these pubs yes I agree the area as change a little bit and one or two pubs around the Birmingham have been changing for years from the 1800 through until today and there as been thou sounds of pubs have been cleared or been closed down over the decades
Some streets have disappeared as we all know. But around spring hill it as not really changed and the pubs have gone or named changed
I could name family of inglby street of tested years as a kid its a pity we do not have them on here the older generations of me on here
Whom could also verify it and the street and of that skating rink that was there before the old Pallie ballroom and old William bulpitt bought it
But any way Alberta another thing I got frustrated this morning because the laptop I was using late last night for the thread of Phil's which I was replying and ad finding to it went flat I got up early only to find it had cleared off and I had to start again which I used this note book like now to you
I rewritten the thread as long as it was only to find it as it was not on for what ever reason and I personally will not say what I thought
But I was livid and fumeing
We know if you get a problem contact the admin but to be honest over the last ten years i have seen on here do not bother to contact
Because I have seen the responds of the atituned from people saying if you are disatifyed just do not post any more and do not bother to tell us
You ain't gonna reply to any more threads on her just pack up so I will not pack up unless I have done wrong by offending people
Which I do not but just of late Alberta there is some thing wrong going on as I have seen over the weeks people are not getting there threads
Put on when they respond to others members threads may be I can see why a certain member said a couple of days ago they thought the sight was dying
And I put that down to frustration because they have it happenen that many time we have to be careful how we express our selves for the fear of being barred and blocked many thanks again Alberta for you saying you will look into these matters we are expereining Alan astonian,,,,,,,'

The white swan was later renamed later as the inglby arms and the queens head as always been where the red marker that mike put
And the soul reason why listed as the ingbyle street is the gathers accommodation was joined to the pub directly
That's why it was listed in ingleby arms and yes it was Ansel,s and the coach and horse was directly across the spring hill red
Directly facing the queens head the coach had a make over but not the queens only a lick of paint new sign and new seating inside only
They even kept the o.d Jo Anna this was in the early fifths

As to the pubs Alan there were 2 in Ingleby Street the White Swan and the Ingleby arms.

As for moderators I am sorry but i am disappointed that you of all people should say that any of us would ever say ' if you are dissatisfied do not post any more and do not bother to tell us'

You have been a loyal member of the forum for many years and you have always been treated with utmost respect as have all our members.
In the past we have had just a few members who have had to be spoken to about their behaviour on the forum but they were always treated with respect and acknowledged their posts were inappropriate and on occasions that has included you Alan and but you have never been in danger of being barred or blocked from posting.
All problems on the forum are dealt with to the best of our ability.

As for the site dying,whoever told you that should take a good look at how many posts we are getting on a daily basis on a great variety of subjects.

Now in respect to the original poster I think we should get back on topic.

Alberta

Last edited:
After reading all the evidence that Mike has put forward I'm firmly convinced there never was a pub called "The Swans Head" as Mike says it is most likely down to the OP "Pete Homer" misreading of the old fashioned writing and more likely it was the "Queens Head". So perhaps Pete might like to furnish us with details of where he got the information from or perhaps even a scan of the information.

I don't normally get involved with the moderating on this site, I don't have to because my "TEAM " is the best on the internet.
If you go "OFF TOPIC " then your posts will be edited or removed as necessary
When the site was hacked we lost most of our members details which led to our membership being dropped to 3000, we are now back up to approx. 12.000 so how does that show the site is dying, I turn away about 20 applicants every day, mostly because their details are suspicious.

if anyone has a problem with the running of this site then they are at liberty to contact me and I will gladly discuss it with them, and contrary to beliefs you won't be banned for stating your feelings( provided its done in a proper manner )

All myself and my team want is for members and guests to enjoy the site and add to the contents where possible.

Thank you
Jim.

hi alberrta and jim
sorry but i merely repeated that some one else said that the other and it was most certainly not me and then bernard made a reference
to the culprit and not me i never said that myself and this was afew days ago when the person made a one liner about it
it was most certainly not me ; i have to say that ; i am, not disatifyed with the site at all i am completely flabbergatic to to think i was slating off ;
i am completely satifyed beleive me and have been for tenyears ; astonian

I don't normally get involved with the moderating on this site, I don't have to because my "TEAM " is the best on the internet.
If you go "OFF TOPIC " then your posts will be edited or removed as necessary
Jim.

Just a comment & i have no desire to criticise, but surely that`s the nature of threads, they drift off onto various subjects & dare i say it, bring a tad more interest for people to comment on, whilst the title of the thread is still the same for anyone to comment on that. I`m fairly new on here & as i said, i`m not criticising anyone, it was just my twopennorth.

Smudger going 'off topic on general threads may not be such a problem but this is a history thread in a history forum not one for general chat; so it can be important to keep certain threads 'on topic'. Going 'off topic' myself for one moment we do not sit here waiting for a member to go 'off topic' just for the joy of deleting or editing their post we actually have lives outside the forum. We are all volunteers and give of our time freely and all we ask is for members to not stray from the 'Rules'.

Comments such as those above your post cause my wife to ask me why I bother to put myself through the angst that can occur. I have not yet found a suitable answer I must be a masochist.

Will remove this post later.

BernardR

Thank you to every one that have relied to my thread so far. I seem to have misread the 1891 census. I now know it to be The Queens Head.
Albert Benjamin Slim was married to my 2G aunt Elizabeth Homer. Their daughter Amy/Aimee Slim married Alexander Fiddian who's son
Eric Westwood Fiddian went on to be British Amateur Golf Champion in approx 1930/32 plus represented GB in Golfs Walker Cup. Any
other info would be fantastic. Thank you all again.
Peter Homer

Hi Mike, thank you for all the fantastic info so far. Where would the Queens Head have been sited based on to days map of that area.
Thanks once again, much appreciated,
Peter Homer

Glad to be of help Peter.
I have overlaid a c1889 map with The Queens Head in red on the Google Earth picture. By reducing the intensity of the map I could still just see red pub and have coloured that a stronger red to make it clearer. The result is below, with the position of the pub in red. you can very faintly still see many of the old streets on the map also

overlay_ingleby_st_2_showing_Queens_Head.jpg

unfortunately i dont have a pic of the queens head but i am asking around..

lyn

Back