• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sutton Road Surgery

The c1962 map shows it is no 122 sutton Road, then a surgery. The 1939 Kellys, which would refer to 1938 shows it was so then also, the doctor being William Scarisbrick

MAP C 1856 JUNCTION CHESTER ROAD AND SUTTON ROAD.jpg

Naughty boy. If that is the doctor (and of course it could be a son with the same name), I would not have thought it would have gone down well with the authorities

Mike, your map shows the island with what looks like the tram track going through the middle. 1962 was a long time after the trams stopped running wasn't it? So what is the dotted line? Hadn't the island gone by then too I wonder? I'm sure someone will know.
Slightly off topic but many years ago the trunion pin of one of the wheels of my Morris Minor snapped off and the wheel came free, making it's way down the Chester Road without me. It was rush hour on a Friday night and the road now narrows to one lane exactly where it happened. Right about where the middle tree on the left of the map is shown. I learned a few new words that night - no patience, some people!

Mike, your map shows the island with what looks like the tram track going through the middle. 1962 was a long time after the trams stopped running wasn't it? So what is the dotted line? Hadn't the island gone by then too I wonder? I'm sure someone will know.
Slightly off topic but many years ago the trunion pin of one of the wheels of my Morris Minor snapped off and the wheel came free, making it's way down the Chester Road without me. It was rush hour on a Friday night and the road now narrows to one lane exactly where it happened. Right about where the middle tree on the left of the map is shown. I learned a few new words that night - no patience, some people!

The roundabout was there in this photo taken post 1963 (I don't know the actual year of this picture but there is a Hillman Imp in the photo and the first of these was produced in 1963 so the photo must be after this year). I've also included a photo of the roundabout with the tram line running through it.

ERDINGTON YENTON CHESTER RD.jpg ERDINGTON YENTON CHESTER RD JUNCTION Where%20.jpg

Back