• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Road Erdington

N

Nick Avery

Edit. There’s now a specific thread about the Sutton Road large houses and their residents here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...d-erdington-houses-and-their-residents.53246/

This thread deals with Sutton Road in general.

Does anyone have any old photos of the houses that were on Sutton Road before they got demolished in the 50's? I am more specifically looking for any information/photos of a Melrose House and Rustic Cottage located on Sutton Road. I believe both of these houses do not exisit today and have been replaced with the Lyndhurst Estate.

Does anyone remember any Avery's or Starkey's that lived down Sutton Road pre 1950? I believe my Great Granfather had a builders business 'Joseph Avery & Son' on Sutton Road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tim, forgive me l am very new to this and only came across this forum the other day, but you may be interested to know that l am Walter & Nellie Edwards grandaughter. The Beechmount Hotel on Sutton Road was leased by our family from about the 1930's until it was demolished. My mum who is now 91, loved Beechmount and has lots to tell and old photo's somewhere if you would like me to try and find them? She moved to Harman Rd in the 50's and moved to Weymouth Dorset in 1975. Wendy

Hi and welcome Wendy from another Wendy. I grew up in Sutton but it was the other end. I remember many trips to Erdington and would love to see any photo's or memories as these can sometimes spark other memories. I hope someone remembers your family. What an amazing age you Mom is we would love to hear some of her memories.

Thanks Wendy, l think this could become quite addictive! Will talk to Mum and see what we can come up with, l know Erdington, Wylde Green and Sutton pretty well, l went to Yenton and Boldmere schools and even had a short stint at Highclare!!! Though we have lived in Weymouth for some years now, Brum is always home to me, although it has changed quite alot! W

Hi guys
many years ago when i was single i used to live in orchard rd way back in time and i have not ben that way for many years now
but as i recall the sutton rd there used to be the old gpo offices and postal sorting offices
it used to be a huge white building there does anybody if its still active and still there
And around the back of orchard rd wich took you to the kingbury rd there was a DHSS offices along with a secure home for the very
Hardened crimmals young offenders would they still be there i wonder
many thanks best wishes Astonian;

Hi Astonian:
Yes, the GPO building on Sutton New Road is still there and part of it is used as a Postal Delivery Office. Here are a couple of links to
photos of the building. The one with the No. 2 tram is how I first saw the area at Barnabas Road in the early 1950's.....on one side with
some prefab type buildings on the corner of Barnabas Road, long gone. The No.2 tram did go down Lichfield Road but this shot is
definitely Sutton New Road. The other link is to how it looks today.https://www.google.ca/search?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=tyWXUdyTHqKeiAL28oGACw&q=Old GPO Sorting Offices Sutton New Road Erdington&biw=1199&bih=556&sei=4yWXUbeNOMObiQLi8IHQDA

[url]https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=106+Sutton+New+Road,Erdington,Birmingham&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=kiaXUftMxsmLApHggbAL&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

[/URL]

Last edited:
HI JENNYANN
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY AND ALSO THE PICTURES WHICH I PRESUME WIL BE A GREAT INTREST TO OTHER MEMBERS AS WELL
IT AS STIRRED ALOT OF MEMORYS THERE AMONGEST THE PICTURES WHICH I WILL STUDY IN MORE DETAIL LATER TODAY
HAVE A NICE DAY JENNY ; BEST WISH Astonian;;;;;;

My uncle Thomas Hook was the head Postmaster at Sutton Post Office untill the early 70's when he retired. My brothers and cousin worked in the sorting office at Christmas time to earn extra money, when they were at school. I would often pop in to see my uncle when I was shopping in Sutton. He was always so kind and made me very welcome. I remember his office was very posh I flet so inmportant. A lovely uncle I still miss.

Edit. New thread has been created for the Lyndhurst Estate as requested by PegMonkey. The question below was extracted from the original post and relates to this thread.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Peg Monkey, my doctor's surgery was the other side of the traffic lights (on the corner) and was Sutton Road, Erdington so I think Sutton Road goes up to the Sutton boundary where Birmingham Road begins.

Peg Monkey, my doctor's surgery was the other side of the traffic lights (on the corner) and was Sutton Road, Erdington so I think Sutton Road goes up to the Sutton boundary where Birmingham Road begins.
You are spot-on (I used the same surgery). The Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield sign was/is near where the 64 bus did (does?) a u-turn, (just before the Co-op) so that's where the change in road name takes place.
Peg.

Do you know what? That Sign Service guy has been working at the top of his ladder for 59 years without a break, that I know of - I trust he is still working?
Peg.

I think he's been made redundant now Peg monkey. I think Sign Service has closed/moved but they've left him up his ladder! You'd have thought they'd have taken him with them wouldn't you?

I think he's been made redundant now Peg monkey. I think Sign Service has closed/moved but they've left him up his ladder! You'd have thought they'd have taken him with them wouldn't you?
Thanks for the update, Lady P. Seems like his fate is to simply fade away, shame really 'cos he is quite a landmark, public spirited threader needed to take a pic before he disappears (could combine with a quick drink in the Cross Keys).
Peg.

Circa 1964: Does anyone remember the partially sighted old guy who lived in one of the old cottages, in a row that was almost opposite the Cross Keys? He was a well-known local character who travelled to the city each day with his faithful little terrier, he was a pavement artist and his efforts could be seen near the council house.
He used to commute using the 64 bus and occasionally our journies coincided, as I travelled home from school, Harry Lucas in Hockley. I think his death featured in an article in the mail.
Peg.
P.S. He worked with chalk and I guess he prayed for dry weather when only a brief touch-up was needed from the day before, after rain he had to start afresh.

Josiah Mason Orphanage.
First of all my apologies for the quality of the map image below, but it does serve to locate the Orphanage in a map of 1892-1914 vintage, you will get a better image by using the link: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4959&lon=-1.9081&layers=176&b=6
Clear the help screen (X out) then, in the LH search panel, select from 2. Select a map/ map series choose OS 25 inch, 1892-1914 and enter in the search box: Silver Birch Road Birmingham.
Peg.
Map Orphanage.jpg

Last edited:
Do you know what? That Sign Service guy has been working at the top of his ladder for 59 years without a break, that I know of - I trust he is still working?
Peg.
According to Google Streetview (you can access older images by clicking the little "clock" image at top-left) he was still there (a modern version anyway) in May 2016 but had been erased to all but a shadow by March 2017. I always looked out for him from the top deck of a No.64 on the way home...
1602013091736.png 1602013171774.png
I remember him being higher up the wall than that, though...

It was an iconic sign that I am familiar with, over a lifetime I watched it change, become more modern and now finally erased.

This thread has now been merged with three other earlier threads on this subject. There may, therefore be earlier posts which members may not have seen before. Viv.

Last edited:
Back