• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Park

To oldMohawk. Yes,POW's where held in Sutton Park during WW2. I've already put a piece ( including my memories of this period ) on the ' Birmingham History ' site. The site started by caralina June 22nd 2013.

Hello Roy - Just read your post in the other thread, thinking back I remember see some POW's in an area by the path which goes from the Parson & Clark gate to the place where the Jamboree Plaque is. In the Britainfromabove pic it seems to be a substantial camp near Powells Pool.
oldmohawk

In the dreadful winter of 1947 a gang of PoWs worked their way up the Chester Road in Streetly, hacking away at the compacted ice with pickaxes. I suppose that they must have come from the camp in the Park.

Chris

Last edited:
This is a lovely photo of Wyndley Pool. Note the boys wading across the water to get to the sluice gate and the girls carrying a picnic. What a large basket one of the girls has! Kids doing all the things you'd see today in a park on a summer's day. Some things never change. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382101565.589138.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382101565.589138.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 67
Have found this photo at last. Taken in Sutton Park when I was a child. Jean.

Attachments

• fair6.JPG
    fair6.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 55
What a pretty photo Jean. I love those carousels, I was never allowed to go on one! I had a silver charm on my bracelet but I lost it.
rosie.

Oh dear funny what we remember from when we were kids Rosie. I have another photo of this with my dad and me sitting in front bawling my head off. Uncle Reg was on the photo too. Must have another mooch through the tins of old photo's.

Lovely photo Jean was this the fair by the main gate in Sutton I loved to go, especially on Carnival day!

I think it was in between the gate and where Wyndley Leisure Centre is Wendy?. I was very young when I went there.

That's lovely Dave. The sluice gate's still there - looks like it's been seriously re-enforced. Most of the buildings seem to have gone. But it still looks like a very picturesque place for a (summertime) paddle and a picnic. Thanks. Viv.

The Wyndley Pool Sluice Gate, I have so many memories of it. I took a photo in 1973 of my son paddling where so many children have paddled over the years.
The treat for 'grown ups' was to drive your car through the nearby ford.
index.php

Last edited:
Lovely photo Phil! I can imagine all kids making a beeline for it, as you say, like they've done for many, many years. Who could resist! Viv

Hello to all.
New member here and this is my first post .I just had a thought about the Stream / Brook in Sutton park,does anyone know where it originates from,and where it leads to or ends up ?at a guess i would say the river Tame ,but however im not sure.
Thanks Paul.

Hello to all.
New member here and this is my first post .I just had a thought about the Stream / Brook in Sutton park,does anyone know where it originates from,and where it leads to or ends up ?at a guess i would say the river Tame ,but however im not sure.
Thanks Paul.
Hi Paul - Welcome to the forum. Interesting question about the streams in the park, I've been in the park hundreds of times and never thought of that. I've had a browse through Google maps and they are quite limited regarding streams but they can be traced with the satellite view. I can see Longmore Pool draining into Powells Pool which drains into Wyndley and the stream from there leads to an unnamed pool not in the park near Clifton Rd. Bracebridge Pool drains into Blackroot Pool (not entirely clear) and Keepers Pool and Blackroot Pool drains into Plants Brook which leads to the above mentioned unnamed pool by Clifton Rd. From there it appears to go through Sutton Town (partially underground) towards Pype Hayes Park and onto the River Tame. I haven't yet worked out where Longmoor Pool is receiving it's water, but maybe general drainage.
oldmohawk

Thanks for the reply oldmohawk .It would be interesting to find out more on the subject ,if i find more info ill post it here ;-).
Paul.
ps . do you know why i cannot see some of the pictures or thumbnails on this thread.. ???

ps . do you know why i cannot see some of the pictures or thumbnails on this thread.. ???
In October 2011, the forum was hacked and all the images where lost. The image placeholders are still there but only the original posters can replace them. Many have been replaced but sadly many will not.

Welcome paulboyle an interesting subject which I never thought about. The reason you can't see some of the thumbnails is they haven't been re posted. See please note at the top of the page.

Does anyone remember Cooksey Lane recreation ground Kingstanding and it's football pitches, i used to visit it as a child as my Dad and Uncle used to run a club that played there and i would to tazz around it as a kid with my dog, Brother's and mates when the matches were on. At full time there was a little club house and a big chap called Cyril would serve tea from a giagantic tea pot and he would pour from one cup to another in a non stop fashion. This would be late sixties and early seventies.

Just noticed this thread is for Sutton Park, thought it was a general thread but never mind, anyway Sutton is just down the road!, or can someone delete it and I'll repost it?.

Can anyone tell me where the 3rd well is situated > Druids Well.
I know its only a square in the ground and used to have a small (dog kennel type) house over it long ago.

( I've found Rowtons and Keepers wells already ).

Can anyone tell me where the 3rd well is situated > Druids Well.
I know its only a square in the ground and used to have a small (dog kennel type) house over it long ago.

( I've found Rowtons and Keepers wells already ).

Stephen, Druids well is just East of Bracebridge Pool, will sort out a pic

Druids Well May 2009

Attachments

• 26th May 2009 Tuesday 003.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 003.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 004.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 004.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 007.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 007.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 008.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 008.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 009.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 009.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 18
Few more

Attachments

• 26th May 2009 Tuesday 010.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 010.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 013.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 013.jpg
    666.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 016.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 016.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 26th May 2009 Tuesday 017.jpg
    26th May 2009 Tuesday 017.jpg
    580.3 KB · Views: 14
It did in deed have a sort of dog kennel over it, made from stone. It was smashed up may years ago be some vandals; whoever did it went to a great deal of effort and must have took a lump hammer to it. Real shame, it was several hundred yeas old.

I recall the council took the bits away and something temporary was built, but it looks like that's gone too.

Back