• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sutton Coldfield And Other Birmingham Miniature Railways

Big Gee

master brummie
Post on another thread for which the link to the photos has been lost, but this information retained and placed here

Hi again, Moma P.

I don't think your photos are of the old Sutton Park Railway. The engines and rolling stock seem a lot smaller. If my memory is reliable, the Sutton Park line was 11" gauge. There were two locomotives - the Sutton Flyer and the Sutton Belle. The track wound around what is now the Wyndley Leisure Centre. After the line was removed, the rolling-stock was bought by a Mr Hunt of Hunt Brothers Castings Ltd in Oldbury. It stayed in storage there for a number of years, until it was bought and taken to - I think - somewhere in Kent, although I'm not sure of this. Hunt Brothers also refurbished full-size steam locos, almost as Mr Hunt's hobby. I visited many times on business, when I worked in the foundry trade.

Regards,

Big Gee

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.sutton-coldfield.net/minirailway.html
As far as I can gather, the collection is in store, I think in North Yorkshire. The locomotives were named: Sutton Flyer, Sutton Belle and Mighty Atom (Prince of Wales).
Sutton Flyer and a railcar are due to visit Tyseley Locomotive Works and after a special event there get overhauled for return to service.
It s said that the present owners ran them far too often and basically it seems wore them out, but I have no proof of that comment.

I have a nephew is involved with the Rhyl miniature railway and knows a bit about these things. He confirms the Cleethorpes connection and comments further:

In respect of the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway, most of the post-war ex Sutton Miniature Railway artefacts indeed are there (seemingly, the Sutton Belle and Sutton Flyer locos are out of ticket and maybe the one time ex Dudley Zoo GWR diesel railcar is also out of service). The transferred collection includes the overall-roofed station building and signal box. I understand, however that the oldest loco, called Prince of Wales when at Yarmouth and later at back at Sutton, is being restored elsewhere to a more original condition as Mighty Atom, the second Bassett Lowke 15” Gauge 4-4-2 to be constructed back in 1912. In that guise, it worked at Sutton when new and continued to do so until the line became derelict c1920.
It last worked in the mid-1950s and so repairs are likely to include a replacement boiler.

Difficult to comment as to whether the current custodians have worn the assets out; nowadays, the clock starts ticking as soon as a boiler ticket gets issued and these locos were worked quite hard each day of the season when in commercial use. Most parts can be replaced, albeit at a cost and, surely, they’ll be back out to earn their keep again as soon as. Pre Cleethorpes, everything was stored out of sight (and largely forgotten) in Oldbury between 1962 and c2001.

Meanwhile, ‘Belle, ‘Flyer and the railcar have each visited Rhyl for Galas and our line also has a close relative to Mighty Atom in Prince Edward of Wales. Parts of this semi-replica sister engine ran at Rhyl in the 191x-192x period but, like Flying Scotsman, just how much of her is now original?!

Chris

When I was employed in the foundry industry, the engines, rolling-stock and at least some of the track were stored at the premises of Hayes Foundry Ltd, Oldbury. This would have been in the mid-1970's if memory serves. I can only suggest that the owner of the foundry purchased them at the time the fairground closed in Sutton Park. The foundry owner was also re-building a full-size loco, details unknown. Hayes Foundry closed some time back. I remember riding the Sutton Park railway many times when I was a nipper.

By an amazing coincidence I was talking about the Sutton Park railway this afternoon with a friend who is a real live-steam buff, and he seemed to be under the impression that the Sutton engines were still being run at Cleethorpes.

G

I'm a bit confused here. If, as Chris M says, the line became derelict c 1920, does that mean that Big Gee, who remembers riding on it, is our oldest member?

The railway in Sutton Park was certainly working in the 1940s because as a child I had rides on it.

Check this out:

The Sutton Park Miniature Railway in the grounds of the demolished Crystal Palace closed in the 1960's. In his post above, Chris M in post No 3 says it was closed in 1962 and then stored in Oldbury, that is at Hayes Foundry which I mentioned in my previous post No 4. The YouTube video will confirm that the line was closed just before WW1 and then rebuilt in the 1920's. I certainly didn't dream riding on it in the 1950's when I was a kid. But maybe I am your oldest member...flippin' feel it sometimes.

G

Something else I remember - you could hear the engines' whistles on Sutton Parade on a calm day!

Few years ago when I was down there on business I had a ride on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent - a bit bigger than 'miniature', and a commuter line rather than a fairground attraction, but wonderful all the same.

G

Check this out:

The Sutton Park Miniature Railway in the grounds of the demolished Crystal Palace closed in the 1960's. In his post above, Chris M in post No 3 says it was closed in 1962 and then stored in Oldbury, that is at Hayes Foundry which I mentioned in my previous post No 4. The YouTube video will confirm that the line was closed just before WW1 and then rebuilt in the 1920's. I certainly didn't dream riding on it in the 1950's when I was a kid. But maybe I am your oldest member...flippin' feel it sometimes.

G
Yes much of this co-incides with what I have read elsewhere. The minor differences being Hunts factory - a Mr. Hunt was apparently the owner of the railway - and a date of 1962 for demolition of the building which was used as a store, as was the Palais de Dance in Ladywood, during WW2 and a little after. That does not mean the railway was removed at that date, it might have lingered on for a while.

Check this out:

G
I also rode on it in the 1950's and I am only 67!

https://www.sutton-coldfield.net/minirailway.html
As far as I can gather, the collection is in store, I think in North Yorkshire. The locomotives were named: Sutton Flyer, Sutton Belle and Mighty Atom (Prince of Wales).
Sutton Flyer and a railcar are due to visit Tyseley Locomotive Works and after a special event there get overhauled for return to service.
It s said that the present owners ran them far too often and basically it seems wore them out, but I have no proof of that comment.

I opened the link and after reading about the railway searched the website. I found some fascinating research on all the names on the war memorial for WW1 brilliant resource for anyone with family history in Sutton Coldfield. Loads of 1911 census details and more.

I think my nephew was writing in shorthand. He was talking about the career of one loco where presumably there is evidence of its activity up to the closedown in the 1910s and the line becoming derelict shortly after. But didn't mention the revival of the 1920s - all of which, I think, will indicate that some of our members are not quite so antique as we all might have thought!

Chris

Old Mohawk is correct - the railway was in Perry Hall, not Perry Barr Park. IIRC it ran through the trees and was to the left of the Perry Avenue entrance into the Park. I have a (very) vague memory of there being an accident connected with the railway.

G

I remember often riding on the miniature steam railway in Calthorpe Park Balsall Heath in the ealy 50's which used to run alongside the River Rea from the one bridge near the Clevedon Road entrance to near the Cheddar Road. Unforetunately it closed in the mid 50's and was dismantled and removed.

can anyone put a location on these 2 photos...pretty sure the one was taken at dudley zoo and only other place i think our mom and dad would have taken us to was perry hall park although having said that we always went to rhyl for our holidays

lyn

img492.jpg img510.jpg

Lyn, it looks very much like the one at Dudley Zoo but I've never been to Perry Hall Park, I remember it was near the monkeys if that's any help!

There was a railway like the one in #20 at Bournville by the yachting pool.
rosie.

I have amended the thread title as we have quite a few different little railways being discussed. I am surprised how many there seems to have been. However, I was more interested in the big railways, still am in fact. :D

Last edited:
can anyone put a location on these 2 photos...pretty sure the one was taken at dudley zoo and only other place i think our mom and dad would have taken us to was perry hall park although having said that we always went to rhyl for our holidays

lyn

View attachment 127276 View attachment 127277

hi rosie which one do you think was taken at dudley zoo i think the first one...the photos are taken a few years apart..i was about 4 in the first pic and maybe 12 or 13 in the 2nd one...funnily enough i have not long returned from the zoo..not been for years and i had quite forgotten just how steep it is:eek: seemed strange to think that all those years ago i was riding the train and today i was on one with my grandson james:)i have quite a few family pics taken at the zoo so i know it was a popular day out for us all

lyn

Came out of the army (NS) the year before, still living at home and because of the family political commitments, I was there that day with Mum and Dad, probably the last time that I went anywhere with both of them at the same time, as a couple of the lads who I had hung around with before NS, completed their NS that year and weekends got much more interesting, although Birmingham was tame after Hamburgs Reeperbahn. and no I did not ride the train!!!
bob

Throwback Thursday - Dudley Zoological Gardens
Hi lyn, I think the first one, particularly as there is hill behind and I seem to remember it was on the ground level, fairly near the chairlift?
(I got in trouble for asking why those monkeys were pink in a certain place!)
rosie.
Have edited to add this link, hope it works.

Last edited:
Was there a childrens' train ride as well at Dudley? The one in the link seems different from the way I remember......it was a long time ago though!!

Back