• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Surnames as places

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Years ago while on the way to Rhyl for a day out, I discovered that there was a Place by the of name BUCKLEY which is my Surname and since then I have been on the lookout for this sort of thing.

The nearest so far to my Full name is ALFRIC in Hereford & Suckley in Worcester

So is there anyone else on the forum with the same it can be Christian or
Surnames, but no nicknames

As Bruce would say its a good game:D

Alf,

I'm a Bradley and Bradley crops up as a place name all over the country. In Staffs, Derbyshire, Cheshire, Worcestershire and other counties. Quite common!

Ann

3 out of 4 grandparents names is not bad.

Brough, many places in N.England ,Staffs and Shetland Isles
Moore in Devon
Banks in N.yorkshire.

There are a few 'Lloyds' across the globe, one in Australia and three in USA, all small districts by the look, and a couple of 'Penfold' road names but that seem to be it.
Naming roads or small areas after people usually happens if the named is famous, a local councillor or a politician [Manzoni Gardens, in the last Bull ring, after Sir Herbert Manzoni, city engineer]. Larger areas, e.g. villages were sometimes named after (or by!) the landowner or builder [Saltaire, Yorkshire, after Titus Salt].

Both my names are associated with places in Britain:

Keith is a place name in Scotland and has a football team named the same.

There are loads of Actons - Acton (London), Acton Burnell (Shrops), etc, etc.

Acton is a fairly common place-name in England (and New England USA) and in most cases is derived from ac, the Old English word for 'oak', and tun, meaning 'farmstead'.

Beeley: is one of those picturesque country villages in
Derbyshire, Peak District, nr. Chatsworth House...

Well I don't usually lay claim my second name (I just don't like it). However I thought this was a little funny to say the least...

Muriel Lake: is in the province of Alberta. The province was named for Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, daughter of Queen Victoria.

So Alberta we don't only share my friend your sister in law, but also a place name in Canada LOL :)

Pom

Alf,

My surname is ESPLEY, there is a village in Northumbria of that name, also a large building called ESPLEY HALL.

Keep threatining myself I will go there one day to see if there is any connection.

I know the name originates from there, so maybe, you never know.:)

paraman

Alf
You have to add a K to Alfrick its a lovely little village well worth passing through because it matches the whole Teme Valley feeling of beauty and rural tranquility
Chris B

Thank you Chris, I sure I must have passed it on my way to Ross Lebury & Hereford years ago:)

Bath, a beautiful city in England. Well known enough not to add any more. I dont know how many more there might be around the world?
Did you realise that there is a bath in every room I walk into!!!

My maiden name 'Darlaston I believe the are two places by that name on the map.

Bath, a beautiful city in England. Well known enough not to add any more. I dont know how many more there might be around the world?
Did you realise that there is a bath in every room I walk into!!!

Thats one of my favorite Cities Dave:)

I spent my National Service a few miles from there and for years I visited ever year. I've taken all my family there and we use to Camp just outside.

Having the last name of Farmer all that seems to be named after us are pubs.
Like the Farmer's Arms.:) Mo

Thanks I didn't know that. There is a Business School here in Canada with the same name as my son. He was representing his university business school in an International MBA competition and they were there.:) Mo

my name Sammy Heard and their is an island called Heards island of New Zealand
why was it named as such any body know?

Here you go Sammy... Heard Island and McDonald Islands abbreviated as HIM were discovered by A chap named Kemp, a British sailor. It is thought he was the first person to have seen the island on November 27, 1833, from the brig Magnet during a voyage from Kerguelen to the Antarctic and was believed to have entered the island on his 1833 chart.
An American sealer, Captain John Heard, on the ship Oriental, sighted the island on November 25, 1853, en route from Boston to Melbourne. He reported the discovery one month later and had the island named after himself.
Captain William McDonald aboard the Samarang discovered the McDonald Islands close to Heard Island six weeks later, on January 4, 1854.
There are a number of wrecks in the vicinity of the islands, the islands have been a territory of Australia since 1947, and became a World Heritage Site in 1997. They contain the only two active volcanoes in Australian territory, one of which, Mawson Peak, is the highest Australian mountain.

Pom (Living in NZ)

thanks for the info Pom (i think i will go over and claim my rights who know i might be crowned King Sam)

Hi, my maiden name was Dauncey. Having traced my family tree back a few generations the name has been spelt in many ways. There is a village Dauntsey in Wiltshire - don't know if there is any connection. All my ancestors seemed to come from Gloucestershire.

Last edited:
My neice married a Ledbury. Lovely place but shame they got divorced. Back to being a Lyndon. Jean. [Smith] I wonder where that came from?. Millions of us.

My surname is actually Suttonunderwhitestonecliffe, which is very appropriate because my mater and pater happen to own that particular place in Yorkshire.

Big Gee

Hi, my maiden name was Dauncey. Having traced my family tree back a few generations the name has been spelt in many ways. There is a village Dauntsey in Wiltshire - don't know if there is any connection. All my ancestors seemed to come from Gloucestershire.

Jules65 there could be in the past people named themselves after Trades they did like Butcher, Farmer or Black or Smith I'm not so lucky Mine means roughly Field enclosed by a fence or words to that effect.:D

Hello Sammy Welcome and heres your starter and your chance to impress your mates down the Pub:D

https://www.btinternet.com/~sa_sa/heard_island/heard.html

PS To claim your right Sammy you will have to search your Family History and you have come to the right place.

A relation of mine, has gone back to John Heard born in birmingham 1763, Heards came from Summerset way (married Susannah Hillidge ) their is another John Heard ,a friend of Sir Walter Raleigh who went to Ireland and John Heard was made sovereign of Kinsale, any infomation ?

Alf we have something in common there...
Originally Posted by Alf
I'm not so lucky Mine means roughly Field enclosed by a fence
That's exactly what my married name means 'Pounder' or even a rather large Gun.
The United States procured a number of batteries of 5-inch 60 pounder guns, there are also two 25-pounder gun on display at the Imperial War Museum in London
However because of my size Col' reckons I'm more like
The Quarter Pounder is a burger sold by international fast food chain McDonald's

Pom

Back