• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Surname Search Holland

Gillian Atkins

master brummie
Hi

Can anyone shed any light on the surname 'Holland'.  My great grandparents Richard and Martha Holland lived at 39 Chattaway Street, Aston. and had a daughter named Florrie.

My own surname is Atkins and both my parents Hazel and Cedric Atkins were born and raised in Aston. 

Any information would be great!!

Richard Foster Holland married Martha Richardson 1897 Aston.
Richard Foster Holland birth registered 1874 West Bromwich
1901 has Richard age 27 b Wednesbury Mechanical engineer living Aston
Martha age 25 b. Birmingham
there is entry for Florrie Holland age 1 b. Aston

1881 census

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Joseph HOLLAND Head M Male 35 Wednesbury, Stafford, England Millwright
Ellen HOLLAND Wife M Female 39 Badger, Shropshire, England
Richard HOLLAND Son Male 7 Wedsbry, Stafford, England Scholar
Kate HOLLAND Daur Female 5 Wedsbry, Stafford, England Scholar
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 29 Hutton Street
Census Place Aston, Warwick, England

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joseph Holland married Ellen Needham 1873 West Bromwich.(your g/g/grandparents)

Joseph possibly the son of Richard Holland and Rebecca Foster who married in 1838 West Bromwich
they had a daughter Catherine Foster Holland born 1839 also a son Joseph born 1836 died shortly after birth.It was often the custom to use the same name for a son born later.So it would appear that Richard was given his paternal grandmothers maiden name.
Ellen Needham baptised 1840 Badger Shrops. parents John and Mary

Richard Holland and Rebecca 1881(your g/g/g/grandparents)

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Richard HOLLAND Head M Male 63 Wednesbury Fitter
Rebecca HOLLAND Wife M Female 65 Wednesbury
Mary HOLLAND Daur U Female 40 Wednesbury Dressmaker
Source Information:
Dwelling 18 Park Street
Census Place Wednesbury, Stafford, England

Richard Holland was baptised St Bartholomews Wednesbury 1818
parents John and Catherine(your g/g/g/g/grandparents)

Hope this is of interest to you, Alberta.

Wow! I'm so impressed! Thank you for replying. My Mom had hardly and recollection of her own parents as they both died when she was only two. She lived with her Grandmother, Martha until she was 12 when Martha also died. I have only recently decided to see if I can trace our family history so this information is great. I can see that I need to take a trip to the library and borrow some books on how to do it properly.

THANK YOU!!
Gillian

Hi Gillian,
I'm also related to Richard Holland he'd be my gt gt grandfather was married to Rebecca Foster, his father was my gt gt gt grandfather John who was married to catherine?
Would love to hear from you

Back