• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Super Oil Seals Ltd c1930

Aidan

master brummie
I have attached a photo of my Gt-Grandfather, William John Elliott (centre, flat cap - poss with one or more daughters), obviously working at Super Oil Seals Ltd. I can only date the photo as early 1930s. In his earlier days he was a metal-spinner. I don't know anything about the company (although the great internet oracle suggests it was based in Kings Norton making aeronautical parts) or what he did there. Does anyone know more, can identify anyone or date the pic more accurately please?

Photo unfortunately lost

Last edited by a moderator:
Aidan
Super Oil Seals are not listed in Kellys in 1932, and in 1933 they are only listed as an office in corporation St. However:
1936 Super Oil Seal Manufacturing Co. (England) Ltd. oil seal mfrs. Factory centre, Lifford
la. King's Norton. T A " Oilseal, Birmingham.; " T N 1071
1937 Super Oil Seals Ltd. oil & grease retainer manufacturers,84 Factory centre, Lifford
lane, King's Norton. T A " Oilseal; " T N King's Norton 2041 (3-lin.es)
1938-44 Super Oil Seals & Gaskets Ltd. manufacturers of oil & grease retainers, gaskets &
joints of all descriptions,84 Factory centre, Lifford lane, King's Norton. T A " Oilseal;
" T N King's Norton 2041 (3 lines)
1949 Super Oil Seals & Gaskets Ltd. manufacturers of oil & grease retainers, Birmingham
Factory Centre, King's Norton 30. TA "Oilseal;" TN Kings Norton 2041 (5 lines)

I had hoped to find mention of a second factory, but probably atory no 2 was just another building on the same site. So all this shows is that it wouldn’t be before 1933.
Mike

That's terrifically helpful, thanks Mike. A date of 1937 would put him at age 60 and as he seems to be centre picture, perhaps it was connected with that (assuming people retired at 60 then?), or with the company name change to "& Gaskets". I think he lived in City Road, Edgbaston/Winson Green at the time (about 6miles North of Cotteridge/Kings Norton) - but I think the No11 Outer Circle bus would have served https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Midlands_bus_route_11

Hi Aiden I used to work on Kings Norton factory centre as it was once called and the company was called Super Oil Seals and Gaskets in the late 60's and through the 70's. It was on Melchett Road, the main road through the centre from Pershore Road South to Lifford Lane. They occupied quite a large site and I think they moved out to Redditch when the centre was upgraded to a Business Centre.

I have confused you Aiden I did not work at Super Oil Seals but on the factory centre. When I knew the factories of Super Oil Seals they were not on the junction of Lifford Lane but some way into the centre.Current maps of the area show Melchett Road as a straight road through the centre, when S O Seals were there there was a 90 degree right turn then a 90 degree left turn and Super Oil seals were at that turn.The reason for that road configuration was that there was a railway line that joined the lifford line there.I am sure they would have needed metal spinners as a lot of their seals were circular and a lot of their products may have been low volume so to avoid expensive tooling costs they would have spun them on spinning lathes, that is only my opinion, others may have more information than me.

Ok - thanks Mike, I am easily confused! Good point about the spinning that I hadn't thought of - I did do some "work experience" for a couple of weeks as a metal-spinner with one of my Uncles but I just made brass oil-lamps while he made saucepans. Glad I didn't take it up but the smell of suds/swarf and the satisfaction of finished articles was quite alluring

My Grandfather owned super oil seals around the late 30s into the 40s I saw the picture on here and wanted to show my Dad but it seems to have disappeared, if possible could you re post it. many thanks

Liz
Aidan is no longer a member of the forum, but I think this is the picture you meant
Mike

Super2520oil2520seals2520c_1930s.jpg

Yes this is the one, many thanks
My Nan, Nora Astley worked there. She lived 53 Broadmeadow Lane. She left before the War to have family, My Mu Jean Rita and her Sister Megan. She went back there in the late 50's. She used to bring home bags of coiled springs of varying lengths. The ends, one end was like a cone and the other end open coil and the cone was twisted into the open end and formed a spring ring, like an elastic band, They formed part the mechanical seal when it was inserted into a rubber ring with a slot in it. Used for crankshaft seals on engines. Nan would do dozens of them whilst watching television and was paid for it as outwork, so much per 100. I'm sure that is Nan to the left of the man in the front row. It does look like her and I remember the fox stole she is wearing. I'd like to think it is, a wonderful photograph.

Back