• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sunset Song, 1971

Maria Magenta

master brummie
Does any one remember this?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072570/

I remember seeing it and finding it very involving, but can't recall a lot about it, just one or two situations. All I can recall is Vivian Heilbron as the heroine.

It's impossible to get hold of the DVD, apparently. The Lewis Grassic Gibbon Centre in Scotland used to sell it, but now can't because of some copyright issue with the BBC.

I was reminded of it because Radio 4 is doing an adaptation of 'Cloud Howe,' which is the second part of the trilogy.

maria

They seem unable to supply the DVD, Carolina.
It seems to be available on YouTube, though, but I find that quite a difficult way of watching anything long. Apparently it was wiped/lost at the time...maybe it will somehow turn up (from some one's shed!) But I will get in touch with them and see if a DVD actually exists anywhere.
Thanks,

maria

BBC4 HAVE THIS WEEK (september '22) AIRED "SUNSET SONG" 1971,the trilogy ,the first colour scottish production ,with an interview preceeding it with vivienne helbron ,lead actress Chris Guthrie & the female director.It was a marvelous piece of writing & acting ,beautifully realised & now i too want to own/obtain it,an outstanding production,poetic,powerful & unsentimental!
all 6 episodes are available on i player this month-september 2022-& i think i'll tape them,vhs style.for posterity.
Sara Gormley

BBC4 HAVE THIS WEEK (september '22) AIRED "SUNSET SONG" 1971,the trilogy ,the first colour scottish production ,with an interview preceeding it with vivienne helbron ,lead actress Chris Guthrie & the female director.It was a marvelous piece of writing & acting ,beautifully realised & now i too want to own/obtain it,an outstanding production,poetic,powerful & unsentimental!
all 6 episodes are available on i player this month-september 2022-& i think i'll tape them,vhs style.for posterity.
Sara Gormley
It was really good.

BFI DONT STOCK IT I TRIED, & AMAZON USED TO,BUT HAVE RUN OUT-CAN SEND THEM A WISH LIST REQUEST.... ,EBAY JUST HAVE SOME RUBBISH MODERN REMAKE.let me know if you can source it please?
sara gormley

Back