• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Summer Lane

Hello everyone. I'm not sure how "alive" this thread may still be - there's certainly some very interesting content...

I'm trying very hard to find out any information, pictures or a map/layout that helps me get information about a greengrocers at 43 Summer Lane. The grocers was run by Volney and Sophia Sanders (my great grandparents).

Absolutely any information would be immensely appreciated, and thanks for reading!
David

IF my memory serves me corectly our dear old resident alf can fill you in more than anybody as this topic was on about four or five years ago now
and our dear old alf told us al about it and he used to play foot ball for them; when he was a little whipper snapper ;
by the way i hope our little whipper snapper is tuned in today and reading this plus the fact i aint heard from him in a long time ;
i know he did tell me a couple of years back he said astonian; i may not be on the forum like i used to be but i am on the lines watching ;
if you are alf best wishes to you ;and i am sure all the guys here are thinking of you ;
best wishes to one and all best wishes Astonian;;

No 43 is shown in red bekow on a c 1913 map. The larger scale c1889 map gives no further detail of the shop.
The shop changed its use a bit, as can be seen from directories (those which I have access to) below:
1904 Brown Alfred, coffee house
1905 Loverock, Thomas, coffee house
1908 Ashford HenryGeo.greengro
1910 Nutt Harry, confectioner
1912 Ross William, greengrocer
1913-21 Sanders Victor, greengro
1932 Jarvis Jsph.Wm.greengro

The electoral rolls list Sophia & Volney Sanders there 1920-1927, but by 1930 it is Joseph Jarvis

map_c_1913_showing_43_summer_lane.jpg

Thats brilliant - thanks so much for your help. Can I please ask how you identified 43 in that map? Everything I've found has no street number!

Thanks again for such a swift and helpful reply! Very grateful..

I work from directories and electoral rolls. The directories showed that going up the lane numbering went 39,40, New summer St, 41 42 , 43. That did not allow for whether the corner building was listed on New summer St or summer lane, but the electoral roll showed that the entrance to court 7 (the court just above and to the right and above no 43) was after no 44. On the Old maps site some of the maps either at the end of the 1930s or early 1950s do have numbering on some streets. Unfortunately they have recently reduced the magnification you can access on the site, and usually to read the numbers you have to buy the map from them !

Hello I'm new to the forum. My dad lived in summer lane as a child, next door to The Barrel Pub. They later moved to Tower Street and then Guildford Street. The family name was Durrant and he was the youngest of 18 children. Does anyone remember the name or the family?

Hello I'm new to the forum. My dad lived in summer lane as a child, next door to The Barrel Pub. They later moved to Tower Street and then Guildford Street. The family name was Durrant and he was the youngest of 18 children. Does anyone remember the name or the family?

hello jim and welcome to the forum....have you seen the pic of the barrel pub on post 373 ?? if your dad lived next to the pub then his house must be in the picture...there are also lots of pics of guildford st on the guildford st thread.

lyn

Last edited:
what fantastic pictures of the old summer lane,i,m going to check the photo i have of my dad and a few of his mates drinking outside the barrel, must be around the 30s

Mikejee can you up a house plan of moorsom st please as I'm. Trying to work out our details at the time.

I used to go to school at st chads junior school in shadwell st. My eldest sister used to pick me up sometimes after school and we'd catch the bus at the top of summer lane. I can't remember if it was the no5 or the no7 bus and travel down to moorsom st. One day travelling on the bus we got up to get off the bus a man jumped off as it was slowing down which they did quite regular so I decided to copy him, it was too fast for me. I ended up charging down the road grabbing hold of a lampost and falling flat on my bum. I wasn't in a hurry to do that again but I did when I got older. My sister used to pay two 3 ha'penny fares back then.

Nijinski
Is it a particular house you want ? It is sometimes not possible to exactly identify every house.

Hi mike I'm. Looking for is one of those overhead street plans buildings that you post on site every so often. If that's not possible, then maybe the overhead buildings plan around no19 please. Thank you for your time. Regards nijinski.

Only the west end of Moorsom st (which included no 19 was built in 1889, which is the only very large scale map normally available, so it does not include all the street. No 19 is in red, and I have put three other numbers in blue so you can get your bearings

map_c_1889_moorsom_st_showing_no_19~0.jpg

Hello to everyone,
As a very new member of the forum, I've missed out on a number of past threads, but see that many of the earlier posting are minus the pictures. I am particularly interested in 46 Summer Lane, which was a cooked meat shop and, later, cafe/dining room. The name was Cardalls. Originally the shop had belonged to the Lucas family - yes, relatives of those Lucas's - and when my grandfather married into that family it was given as a wedding present.
Does anyone recall a photograph showing Cardalls ever appearing on this forum?
Many thanks in anticipation of any help. MaggieC

Many thanks for these, Bernie - always intering to see. I'll keep hoping that one day somone finds that they snapped my grandparent's shop and puts it up on the site.
MaggieC

hello mikejee, have you any idea if the shop at No 43 Summer Lane became a sweet shop in the 40s, I can remember it being in that area. Also there was a shop on the same side nearer Lower Tower St called Sukels. Dave.

Hi everyone, I'm a new kid on the block here. Does anyone know about former Licensees of The Geach Arms? I'm looking at sometime between 1925 and 1935. Perhaps someone may know how I can find out. Any help would be much appreciated.

For a number of years there is a
43 Summer Lane Jarvis Mrs Alice Greengrocers,
I cannot find the sweet shop, or Sukels?

hello mikejee, have you any idea if the shop at No 43 Summer Lane became a sweet shop in the 40s, I can remember it being in that area. Also there was a shop on the same side nearer Lower Tower St called Sukels. Dave.

Are you certain about the name of the pub as it does not appear to appear in any directory's that I have checked

Hi everyone, I'm a new kid on the block here. Does anyone know about former Licensees of The Geach Arms? I'm looking at sometime between 1925 and 1935. Perhaps someone may know how I can find out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Padgo
As horsencart says no 43 seems to be a greengrocers from at least 1943-1955

Bosca
The electoral roll for The Geach Arms (no 217 summer Lane) lists the following
1925 William Wallace Parker, Jane Parker & William Parker
1927 Edward & Lucy corr
1930 Edwar corr
1935 Harry & Lilly Pyatt

The Curley family. James and Gertrude Landlords of The Salutation, Alma St, with their sons.

Attachments

• Tom, Parents & Brother.JPG
    Tom, Parents & Brother.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 72
Back