• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

sugar mice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
My husband 54 going on 12 loves sugar mice ,Yes i know they are pure sugar and very unhealthy but it is Christmas.
Every year until now i have managed to buy some but this year they appear to have vanished,I hope they are not on the nonPC list.

Alberta said:
but this year they appear to have vanished,I hope they are not on the nonPC list.
are the PC brigade thinking some are 'miceist' now? ;D

I used to like the white chocolate ones...I loved the pink ones, but they were a bit too hard for me.

Thanks Postie ,I'll give them a visit.
Saw the white choc ones last week, Mazbeth,think it was Melbick garden centre.

alberta ,
i,ve just read your article on sugar mice , and they are your husbands fav;;
and you cannot get any this year ,
well i thought the stopped making them years ago , because i havent seen them for years since i was a kid
i used to buy them reg;; when i used to see them , and always when going to school
has mazbeth you can buy pink chocolate ones , but i don,t rate them , copared to the sugar ones ,
may be because i have a sweet tooth , and to copasate the loss of sugar i put for spoons of sugar
in my tea ,
If you do track them down please . please tell me where you get them from
merry christmas and a happy new year for 2007 . astonian ,;;;

I blame Rent-O-Kill!
mousecheese20gm.gif

HI ROD .
I ALWAYS THOUGHT YOU WERE A SWEET TALKING GUY
YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY ,
IV,E SEARCH HIGH AND LOW FOR THESE LITTLE GOODIES
BUT YOU CANNOT GET THEM , LIKE WE USED TO
ESPECIALY HERE IN WORCESTER ,
I TRACKED DOWN A GOOD OLD FASHION SWEET SHOP IN KIDDERMINSTER ,
BUT ATLAS ; THEY DON,T DO THEM ,EITHER ,
SO NOW I AM RUNNING AROUND THE HOUSE LIKE A CAT ON
HOT BRICKS , AND SMILING LIKE A CAT , WHOM GOT THE CREAM
THANKS A MILLION FOR TRACKING DOWN AND INFORMING US
ALL .WHERE WE CAN GET THEM FROM
I WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY AND HEALTHY , AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR FOR 2007 ,
ASTONIAN ,;;;;;;;;

When I was a lad we had an artificial Christmas tree that mom and dad bought about 1922. Most of the decorations dated from that time; one was a sugar mouse. (Or was it a pig?)

Rod - I loved the Handy Candy site and have saved it, I might send a present from there for someone n England. My husband and I were going through the candies remembering what we used to have as kids. Thanks for the memories. :smitten:

Happy New Year. Mo :)

are the PC brigade thinking some are 'miceist' now? ;D

I used to like the white chocolate ones...I loved the pink ones, but they were a bit too hard for me.
Please some body tell me you can still get the white chocolate mice have been craving one or a dozen for 30 years the news agent next door but one sold um and chocolate logs with nuts, 63 years old still wanting sweets here in the states I can buy Milky Bars and yes i'm big and strong but it does not taste the same as when I was a kid.

I haven't seen them recently mass produced, but quality chocalatiers generally include them in their ranges. A bit of difference in price from what you used to pay though, Bob!

Maurice

I haven't seen them recently mass produced, but quality chocalatiers generally include them in their ranges. A bit of difference in price from what you used to pay though, Bob!

Maurice
Maurice if I could I would buy a box, maybe c/k on a UK site ?, now having said that candy by the box never worked out well for me.
Back in the 70's along with a work mate Jacko and girl friends we drove to ST Tropaz for our holiday's had my pop pick up a case of Nestl'e Crunch bars having no idea how big France is to keep me going I ate most of them from Paris to Lyon and ended up throwing up a 2 am in the morning.

I won't comment on your eating habits, Bob! :) But I know that certain things are addictive and with me it is cherries - red not black. That reminds me, we never see the "nap" cherries these days, do we?

You'll certainly get your mice in Brussels, but they will be expensive. I don't like US chocolate, it's a bit too waxy, so importing it seems the only answer. :(:(:(

Maurice

On my first day at school I found a little pink sugar mouse wrapped in greaseproof paper in my bag. My mum had dropped it into my bag for me as a little treat - bless her. I too followed her lead (but chose the less sugar-loaded option) and dropped post-it notes into my children’s lunchboxes with little messages on. Not quite the lip smacking treat of a sugar mouse, but I hope it made them smile like I did all those years before. Viv.

I won't comment on your eating habits, Bob! :) But I know that certain things are addictive and with me it is cherries - red not black. That reminds me, we never see the "nap" cherries these days, do we?

You'll certainly get your mice in Brussels, but they will be expensive. I don't like US chocolate, it's a bit too waxy, so importing it seems the only answer. :(:(:(

Maurice
Hershey the great American candy maker never knew the European recipe and put sour cream in his chocolate, that's why American candy tastes a little bitter unlike say Cadburys which is a lot smoother, as a side note Cadburys sold in the states is made here and sucks . Remember "a glass and a half in every bar".

Robert
It is sour milk, not cream, that Hershey put in their chocolate. They treat it with a culture to deliberately make it go sour. In addition, a lot of American "chocolate" certainly in items which are coated and not solid chocolate blocks use a choc coating, which does not include cocoa butter, and this is likely in many cases to give a waxy product

Back